12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonppr
Lets see some atvantages of less weight
1. Higher MPG
2. Lower emissions
3. Better handling
4. Faster

And how about one disadvantage....MORE EXPENSIVE!
GM is going to do what they can to keep the weight down but there is just so much they can do considering the cost of materials and safety regs. Remember, GM wants to sell over 100k of these beauties annually and it has to be priced competitively against Rustangs. Its not going to be a lightweight but it is going to be a V8 powered, 400+ hp, 2+2 with CAMARO on the side.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Hmmm,

1. Higher MPG
Who cares? If MPG is a main concern, then a high performance V8 Camaro shouldn't be your primary car.

2. Lower emissions
Again, who cares? Environmental concerns are generally meaningless to most high performance V8 consumers.

3. Better handling
A 3600-3700lb car can handle decently well, especially with IRS. Won't be the best in the world in this catigory, but if I wanted small sports car like handling with big V8 muscle, I'd just get a Vette. That's why they build 'em.

4. Faster
Heavy doesn't always mean slow. Give it decent power for the weight and the weight won't matter. Also, you'll always have the option of gutting weight or adding more power.

A heavier car is going to have to have a smaller engine to keep the MPG up and emmisions down. Which I don't really care about but I am sure the gov does.
Things like a 6-speed auto, and DOD systems can keep MPG up even in a heavier car with a big V8. In case you haven't noticed, most GM models are receiving larger displacement engines with each redesign of a model, even though many cars are getting heavier as well.

As for handling and being faster, well its a sports/musle car if you don't want that then why do you want this type of car? just for looks?
Muscle cars aren't really supposed to be about premium handling, more about premium straight line power. And if it gets the LS3, then straight line power will be plentiful even at 36-3700lbs. The Vette is the car you should be shopping for if the best in handling and V8 power are your goals. And as I stated above, it's not like the thing is going to handle like a '76 Eldorado just because it might weigh 150-200lbs more than the average 4th gen. It will still handle very well for a street car I'm sure.

as far as wheels and gauges. I don't think the wheel choice or gauges are going to make the difference as far as weight goes.
Actually, for someone who is worried about weight, wheel & tire weight should concern you. It is unsprung weight, and will effect overall acceleration more than if the extra weight was on the body of the car instead.

I don't expect GM to make the car 3200lbs and still sell for their target price range. I'd be just fine with anything under 3700lbs with a 425hp LS3 and a 6-speed auto or manual option. Wrap that up in a car that looks like the current Camaro concept, and I'd be all over that tomorrow if I could get my hands on it. Of course lighter is better, but I'm not going to pass the car up based on weight alone. I'll be looking at the entire package.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Hmmm,

Who cares? If MPG is a main concern, then a high performance V8 Camaro shouldn't be your primary car.

Again, who cares? Environmental concerns are generally meaningless to most high performance V8 consumers.

A 3600-3700lb car can handle decently well, especially with IRS. Won't be the best in the world in this catigory, but if I wanted small sports car like handling with big V8 muscle, I'd just get a Vette. That's why they build 'em.

Heavy doesn't always mean slow. Give it decent power for the weight and the weight won't matter. Also, you'll always have the option of gutting weight or adding more power.

Things like a 6-speed auto, and DOD systems can keep MPG up even in a heavier car with a big V8. In case you haven't noticed, most GM models are receiving larger displacement engines with each redesign of a model, even though many cars are getting heavier as well.

Muscle cars aren't really supposed to be about premium handling, more about premium straight line power. And if it gets the LS3, then straight line power will be plentiful even at 36-3700lbs. The Vette is the car you should be shopping for if the best in handling and V8 power are your goals. And as I stated above, it's not like the thing is going to handle like a '76 Eldorado just because it might weigh 150-200lbs more than the average 4th gen. It will still handle very well for a street car I'm sure.

Actually, for someone who is worried about weight, wheel & tire weight should concern you. It is unsprung weight, and will effect overall acceleration more than if the extra weight was on the body of the car instead.

I don't expect GM to make the car 3200lbs and still sell for their target price range. I'd be just fine with anything under 3700lbs with a 425hp LS3 and a 6-speed auto or manual option. Wrap that up in a car that looks like the current Camaro concept, and I'd be all over that tomorrow if I could get my hands on it. Of course lighter is better, but I'm not going to pass the car up based on weight alone. I'll be looking at the entire package.
You, sir, are my new hero.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Hmmm,

I agree with you 100%, but MPGs people do care about these days. People want to have and eat their cake. If it isn't good on gas then people will look to the next closest thing that is (v8 and fuel efficient). I wouldn't mind having like what the vettes got, 4-500HP on tap and 30MPGs, then you could take it on long road trips and not have it kill your wallet. Which is the main reason I hate my A4, I can't eat my cake with gears in it.
Personally I think GM will probably have the best fuel economy between the brands for their base V8 and possibly the top range v8 as long as it doesn't come super-charged

And as far as emissions go, Global warming may or may not be happening because to humans... maybe just the Indians(from india not the US) or chinese, make them go greener theres more of them! Who really knows the natural cycle of the planet? We should be more concerned with what we are dumping in our back yards then whats releasing more carbon emissions... my two cents

Last edited by B4CZR2; 07-12-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I like it but it's not the greatest thing I've ever seen. I don't like rear tail lights, they don't fit the rest of the styling in my opinion. It's almost as if they were trying to copy the Vette tail lights but didn't want to go all the way. I'd rather see something like a solid bar across, and definitely using LED's like the Cadillac STS has, so nice. Overall though, I really like the lines, the side view and the front view. Proportions seem good, longer hood, shorter trunk, nice big wheels, aggressive fender flares. Interior looks pretty good too.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Teching In

I have to put this as the best designed car. I have to say I like it better than the vette. I see styling cues from all years in the car. I expect the car to be tone down like the mustang was, but if it gets the LS3 as the base V8 model it stays a 10 in my book.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Give me the new mustang or the challenger. Not impressed with the new camaro.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

forget this POS i heard ford is bringing back the model T.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Teching In

This is a link to the Model T info.

2009 model year lineup--- modularfords.com
Old 07-12-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

lmao. man thats the worst song ever.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Teching In

lol. And the idea of Model T being reincarnated is worse.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Banned

i like it but i dont knw if i wills ell my car.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't care for the car when they first showed the images of it. Then, when the Chief Designer was saying he didn't want it to be too retro I thought he was nuts. The Mustang and the especially the Challenger are very retro. They look great. Thats the market they should be after!
But, after seeing the 05 Mustang start to look dated so fast, I'm inclined to see what he was talking about.

Anyone who has sat through the Transformers movie will realize GM has a big winner on their hands. Ive never seen a movie where half the people leaving are saying "I have to have that car". Teens, middle aged men and women, black, white, even the French!!! OK, my bad, maybe not the French.
Anyway! I have evil, evil plans for mine and the IRS will probably go as soon as I get it home.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

i like it looks like the 1st gen witch i have and think is the best gen of camaros and then the 4th gen dont like the 2nd or 3rd gen have owend all gen have a 69 and a 98 now but what will be the price tag like
Old 07-13-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ punctuation is your friend. IMO.

I'm really diggin this new camaro, it has alot of third/first gen style in it, without being a blatant copy like the stang and challenger are. They look good, but from a design standpoint might as well be a carbon copy, and that makes me automatically hate them. I have no respect for companies that don't R&D new products. Then again, my taste might be flawed, cause my 2 favorite body styles are #1 3rd gen, and #2 1st gen.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

10!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone who thinks this car is ugly needs an eye exam and a brain scam. Definite 10! Absolutley perfect blend of retro and modern muscle. AWESOME LOOKING!!
Old 07-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

definitely a 10.. badass mfing car..
Old 07-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The American

I have to put this as the best designed car. I have to say I like it better than the vette. I see styling cues from all years in the car. I expect the car to be tone down like the mustang was, but if it gets the LS3 as the base V8 model it stays a 10 in my book.
The LS3 is a little too much for a 'base' V8, IMO. I like the new Camaro styling, but will not be purchasing one. I'm waiting for the new GTO...

Quick Reply: One word: UGLY