34.24%
Voters: 2141. You may not vote on this poll

One word: UGLY

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007 | 12:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tamatt27
The LS3 is a little too much for a 'base' V8, IMO.
There will not be a "base V8", IMO. GM will make more money by keeping engine options limited to reduce production & assembly costs.

My guess is, there will be a V6 "base" model, and there will be an LS3 V8 engine as the upgrade option. I'm sure that you'll see intake/exahust packages that slightly boost the power output of the upgraded trim level V8s as we've seen in other years, but the motor will be the same internally. We'll probably have a base V8 Camaro rated at 400 or 405hp and an upper trim level rated at 420hp due to exhaust, induction, etc....just like the 4th gen years.

The 3rd gens were the last time that you'll ever see 3 different V8 motors offered for one model year of Camaro. It's just not cost effective to do that anymore.
Old 07-15-2007 | 10:47 AM
Teching In

I just hope they come out with a ZL1 then ill be happy.
Old 07-15-2007 | 07:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
There will not be a "base V8", IMO. GM will make more money by keeping engine options limited to reduce production & assembly costs.

My guess is, there will be a V6 "base" model, and there will be an LS3 V8 engine as the upgrade option. I'm sure that you'll see intake/exahust packages that slightly boost the power output of the upgraded trim level V8s as we've seen in other years, but the motor will be the same internally. We'll probably have a base V8 Camaro rated at 400 or 405hp and an upper trim level rated at 420hp due to exhaust, induction, etc....just like the 4th gen years.

The 3rd gens were the last time that you'll ever see 3 different V8 motors offered for one model year of Camaro. It's just not cost effective to do that anymore.
+1 on that. The car prolly be rated at 400 or so, and the vette at 435 like previous gens. I hope this is the way.
Old 07-15-2007 | 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by The American
+1 on that. The car prolly be rated at 400 or so, and the vette at 435 like previous gens. I hope this is the way.
Nail on the head. I serious dont think multiple engine in the main production line is a good economical idea. It would be cool for different engine, but it makes a car (with LS3) that could be cheaper more expensive. Special or edition models like zr-1s, saleens, ling, bumblebees, or whatever.
Old 07-17-2007 | 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

At first I didn't like the new Camaro, infact I hated it. It didn't build at all from the 4th gen (which I loved), and it had this big grill, which I still think could be more attractive. However it's grown on me, and it's still better than any Mustang
Old 07-18-2007 | 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

I guess that's why pickup trucks have 4+ V8 options and still turn huge profits huh?

Consider this. Notice how every time a manufacturer reduces the amount of options on a vehicle that vehicle usually starts to lag in sales? I think the ability to find a car that can suit EVERYONE is where the 1st through 3rd gen Camaros succeeded and where the 4th failed dismally.

I can see where you are coming from with the not changing any internal parts deal, but it is pretty stupid to offer the smallest V8 at 400+ horsepower. Can you say insurance and mpg average nightmare? And let me guess, you guys don't think DoD should be on that spiffy LS3 ya'll keep harping about either? GM WON'T BUILD a car like that, especially not now that much tighter restrictions have been placed upon them.

Also, I wouldn't be so sure that there will be no "base V8" until you read the words straight from GM. I have a feeling there WILL be one, it only makes sense...
Old 07-18-2007 | 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
I think the ability to find a car that can suit EVERYONE is where the 1st through 3rd gen Camaros succeeded and where the 4th failed dismally.
yep, and historically the "sporty" "base" models have sold TONS more than the higher end cars. just look at the 82-88 cars.

IMO they need to quit this 10 year run of a body style ****. 5 years and the public is tired of seeing it, and the sales drop way off. even if its just "facelifted" once every few years, it will be better than having the same old thing.
Old 07-19-2007 | 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't call the fourth gens a "failure".... Sure GM quit making the car but they only did so becasue sales had declined to a point where they didn't see any point in continuing the car. Fourth gens were very successful in their intinal release.

I think the REAL problem is that in today's shopping environment, cars and elsewise... products become "stale" and then sell poorly. I think they are going to have to change the designs more often to be successful.

Clearly part of the problem will be in finding a design that has a broader appeal.

Also, alas, Sports cars in general have fallen out of favor. The average car buyer is not looking for a sports car. They will be buying a SUV or mini-van.
Old 07-20-2007 | 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Sales had little to do with why the 4th gen was discontinued.
They still sold 74,000 copies on a 10-year old design.
But that's a whole other can of worms.
Old 07-20-2007 | 12:25 PM
On The Tree

its ugly but the new technology will win the over those who doubt at first..... for myself i believe chrysler will win this one the challenger is a winner !!
Old 07-20-2007 | 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brandonppr
Lets see some atvantages of less weight
1. Higher MPG
2. Lower emissions
3. Better handling
4. Faster

A heavier car is going to have to have a smaller engine to keep the MPG up and emmisions down. Which I don't really care about but I am sure the gov does.
As for handling and being faster, well its a sports/musle car if you don't want that then why do you want this type of car? just for looks? as far as wheels and gauges. I don't think the wheel choice or gauges are going to make the difference as far as weight goes.
I guess you bring up these 4 points because you don't know what it means to own a muscle car
1. If you want high MPG, go stand in line to buy a Prius
2. Lower emissions HAHA, make nice with your buddy at the inspection station and you won't even have to worry about this. I think it takes about 1 hand to count how many people on this site alone pass emissions Plus if it really was a huge issue, GM would just throw on about 6 cats to deal with the problem
3. Muscle cars are meant to do one thing....go in a straight line really fast
4. My friend has a 96 Impala SS and that thing is a boat. I am sure with what he has done to it, it could hold its own against most 12 sec cars.

And yes of course I am buying a muscle car for looks, why else would I buy it?

As for wheel choice making a difference as far as weight goes, why don't you ask this guy. lol

http://99rides.com/images/thumbs_ext...w-2006-021.jpg
Old 07-20-2007 | 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

its ugly but the new technology will win the over those who doubt at first..... for myself i believe chrysler will win this one the challenger is a winner !!
It's ugly? 81% of the poll gives it a 7 or higher. I would have agreed with you on the Challenger a few months ago, but like the Mustang it will start to look dated fast, since it takes so many features from the 70. While the Camaro has many styling features that are from the 69, it also has may features that will carry it into the future.

Any way about it, it will be a bright future for all 3 cars.
Old 07-20-2007 | 03:59 PM
On The Tree

true TT im just glad to see we now have all these choices!!!
Old 07-20-2007 | 06:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SmokedSierra01
I guess you bring up these 4 points because you don't know what it means to own a muscle car
1. If you want high MPG, go stand in line to buy a Prius
2. Lower emissions HAHA, make nice with your buddy at the inspection station and you won't even have to worry about this. I think it takes about 1 hand to count how many people on this site alone pass emissions Plus if it really was a huge issue, GM would just throw on about 6 cats to deal with the problem
3. Muscle cars are meant to do one thing....go in a straight line really fast
4. My friend has a 96 Impala SS and that thing is a boat. I am sure with what he has done to it, it could hold its own against most 12 sec cars.
I guess you bring up these four points because you don't know what it means to own a ponycar.
Old 07-20-2007 | 09:31 PM
Banned

They gonna have do better with the front end , I mean hell , it looks old & dated already and its still a year and a half away from hitting the streets. They should have just announced that they were going to put the Camaro back into production & it would be all new & not show ANY pics. Its a real let down for me. It'll take a real sexy & fast Camaro to get me outa my 02 Vert & that ain't it.
Old 07-21-2007 | 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
Sales had little to do with why the 4th gen was discontinued.
They still sold 74,000 copies on a 10-year old design.
But that's a whole other can of worms.
OK... little but let me open that can of "worms" and ask WHAT was the cause of the derailment of the 4th gens???

I thought it was becasue the car had became unprofitable for GM???
Old 07-21-2007 | 08:35 AM
Banned

I think it was because the Mustang beat em right down into the dirt. And because mother GM wasn't willing to put ANY more money into what GM felt was a lost cause. No matter how fast & how much better their cars might be the bean counters look at sales volume , & we all know that the bean counters are in charge at GM.
Do you remember when Ford was going to replace the Mustang with the Probe ? Millions of Mustang fans wrote Ford & told them that the bean counters at Ford Must have their head up their *** & to Fords credit they held the bean counters at bay & poured more money into the development of the Fox chassis beginning in about 1986 or 1987 I think and thats when the Stang took off.

Last edited by Z ROADSTER; 07-21-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-21-2007 | 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

i like the car i just wish it would have a bit more hp. or even make a package so we can competete with them gt500 guys just from the factory i know we can do mods but be nice to just do it stock.
Old 07-21-2007 | 12:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fuseone
i like the car i just wish it would have a bit more hp. or even make a package so we can competete with them gt500 guys just from the factory i know we can do mods but be nice to just do it stock.
We don't know the HP for the production model yet. I don't know many people who would be willing to pay 50 grand for a Camaro, that wouldn't be cross-shopping the Z06.
Old 07-21-2007 | 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Quit your negative BS bantor. I swear, some people have the worst taste in cars and are far too picky for their own good. This car looks incredible and will be a great value. Long live the muscle car. Good job Chevy for re-joining the race with the best retro-muscle car yet!

Quick Reply: One word: UGLY