Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Gear: What if the 2010 Camaro turned out to be good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
Unbunch your panties, the show and it's hosts make fun of everything and have a good time. That's the entire point of the show - nothing is sacred and the hosts tell us exactly how they feel about cars and have fun with it. It's what makes Top Gear brilliant.

All the uproar on this site over tongue-in-cheek comments is what really makes us look bad.
Couldn't have said it my self.

And notice that his not a true asshol b/c he doesn't just diss, he insults but gives something good fact about the car. I.E. ZO6's performance but makes fun of its navigation automatically set for McDonalds. I.E. The regular mustang handles like crap but the Roush is really good. Plus he owns a Ford GT, so his not an *** his a funny guy that people take alittle too seriously sometimes. I like hammond b/c he loves american cars, the dodge challenger episode.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Launching!

They do say a lot of contradicting things and do blindly bash things that are non-british.

But you take it for what it is: Getting laughs and high ratings for its British/Euro audience.

And obviously they excel at it. Hell they're so good at it people watch it over here in the states.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Teching In

They bash plenty of british stuff too... Anyone remember the BMW that drove itself around the track flat out??
Old 08-06-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Semper91-RS
Of course it will be good. Clarkson actually managed to sound like a dumbass this time, and call the Camaro a VXR8, minus two doors. I understand he thinks British\European cars > most American cars, but it's sad when he just refuses to be wrong. The ACR Viper will kill an Aston Martin DBS. The Z06 outruns and outhandles a Porsche 911 GT3 for 1/3rd the price.
Clarkson hates Porches and he's right about the Camaro basically being a VXR8 less 2 doors since it's on the same platform.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Saturn5
But what really irks me about him slamming the Camaro is all three of them have tested and loved the Holden Monaro. They've done several tests and Clarkson creams all over it every time. The Camaro is based on the VXR platform which is the same as the new Holden Commodore - the Monaro's replacement.

So if it's a got Holden or Vauxhall badge, he loves it, but if it's got a Bow Tie, it must stink - even if it's the same car.
If you watch the episode where Clarkson tests the VXR8 he makes fun of the Australians as well yet he liked the car. He did say that he wouldn't own it over the more expensive BMW though. I have every episode of Top Gear and they even make fun of European cars. They do tend to rag on American cars more but the show is in Britain so I can understand that.

I'm sure he will like the Camaro but find something wrong with it too. The car won't be perfect and anyone that sucks GM's pecker thinking the Camaro is the next coming of Jesus Christ is on crack. I like their honesty over there. It's good comedy anyway.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really enjoy the shows and I often forget when it's on. But, when I do, I truly enjoy watching because it is funny. I was just laughing hysterically at the episode were each of them bought an eighties car for cheap. One was a Jaguar XJS, a BMW 5 series, and a Mitsubishi Starion Turbo. I was just cracking up!

Then there was an episode were they played "soccer", but with tiny little Euro cars and a big soccer ball!! Damn funny.

I liked when Clarkson took on a tank with a Range Rover Sport. Good stuff.

The point is, is that they keep it interesting and funny to watch. I think that it's funny how they pick on the Z06 finding a McDonald's! That's funny, I don't care how ya are!! They trashed Porsche's designs as being boring and unimaginative. I like the cool cars and different tests. Certainly more entertaining than Powerblock!
Old 08-17-2008, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

I think they're fair and unbiased. They completely bad mouthed 60's jag xke
and aston martin. I like the nice blend of speed, humor, and celebrity guests.
Who is the stigger?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by john shea
I think they're fair and unbiased. They completely bad mouthed 60's jag xke
and aston martin. I like the nice blend of speed, humor, and celebrity guests.
Who is the stigger?
I dunno who The Stig is but he can damn sure drive.

I just watched an episode from last season where they bought a 2004 BMW 3 series and turned it into a race car. They raced it in a 24 hour endurance race at Silverstone with Clarkson, Hammond, May and The Stig all driving. The Stig was awesome. That was a great episode because it wasn't a gag like some of the stuff they do. It was a real race with real race cars.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

I think the little bit about it was funny. For those who are butt-hurt by it, they're only speculating at this point, just like everyone else. Also, OF COURSE they're going to bash the Americas and the Aussies whenever they have a chance, that's what being a Euro-centric, embittered ex-world power is all about . I think they're accepting that with a lot of grace. And since their money is worth more at this point, they can be a little snooty.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 20SS07
How is it any different from Americans thinking that American cars are superior to everything? Not sure what you guys expect them to say. It's a British show they're not going to shower Americans with praise just like I don't see anyone here saying how great British things are. If they would have been talking about the Mustang rather than the Camaro everyone would be saying how awesome they are.
Holy schiet!!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I liked the episode when they drove thru Alabama with some homo remarks on their cars, LOL......I think they may have underestimated the situation in the small town south just a tad, made for some good tv.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Teching In

bah.. America sucks until they need us to bail their *** out of something again..

they are in denial if they ignore the performance of cars like the c6 z06..
Old 08-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PwN_ThIs
bah.. America sucks until they need us to bail their *** out of something again..

they are in denial if they ignore the performance of cars like the c6 z06..
LMAO...
Old 08-28-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!

Dont care what the haters say, Top Gear has got to be the funniest/one of the best car shows out there. I did notice that if its American Jeremy hates it, But its like alot of Americans hating Imports. Anyone see the episode where they had 1000 bucks to come to Maimi buy a car then drive all the way to New Orleans? Awsome episode
Old 08-29-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone have another link to the video?
Old 09-15-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I understand that most of their ribbing is in jest. Clarkson has always bashed American cars, but one of his favorites from his childhood is the Ford GT40, and he was one of the first people in Britian to buy a Ford GT. (of course, Ford being Ford, it was a lemon and he got rid of it and bought a Lambo instead).

What gets me about his anti-Camaro comment is that he loves the Holden Monaro, and the Camaro plaform is the replacement for the Monaro (same as the Pontiac G8 and Holden Commodore). Chances are he'll rave about the Aussie car, and still call the Camaro crap, even though it's the same chassis and drivetrain.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he will find soemthing wronbg with the camaro because there will be several things wrong with it.

I think people tend to forget that a camaro is a poor mans vette. It's not gonna be an ultra refined canyon carving fire breathing mosnter like a bugatti or mclaren for say 35k. There are cars that beat it by miles and some fall way short of it.

Take the criticism as an opinion. You have an opinion too, don't get so butt-hurt over it
Old 09-15-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Drive a AMG then drive and american car

Your out of you mind if you think the two can even compare in anyway
Old 09-15-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

And they do bash british cars all the time!
Old 09-15-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by slick1851
Drive a AMG then drive and american car

Your out of you mind if you think the two can even compare in anyway
Price an AMG car... Then price repair costs after the warranty runs out...
Regardless go drive a CTS-V, you will take back your comment quickly.

Quick Reply: Top Gear: What if the 2010 Camaro turned out to be good?