Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Gear: What if the 2010 Camaro turned out to be good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's nothing but your typical stuck-up metrosexual Eurotrash. American V8s RULE.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Price an AMG car... Then price repair costs after the warranty runs out...
Regardless go drive a CTS-V, you will take back your comment quickly.
once again you take an AMG into our price terms as expensive. Anyone who can afford an AMG isn;t gonna be to worried about repairs.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Honestly i like the show. I think the bashing makes it better. i mean come on, if they said that the liked ever car they tested the show would suck. British humor is the **** too...they dont care who they insult which is awesome. Its not like here where you have to be carefull of who you **** off. Oh and i really want an Ariel Atom...that looks like way too much fun to drive!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

If anything, this should point out things. I think the show is hilarious. I only catch clips here and there on youtube, but they are always funny.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Saturn5
I understand that most of their ribbing is in jest. Clarkson has always bashed American cars, but one of his favorites from his childhood is the Ford GT40, and he was one of the first people in Britian to buy a Ford GT. (of course, Ford being Ford, it was a lemon and he got rid of it and bought a Lambo instead).

What gets me about his anti-Camaro comment is that he loves the Holden Monaro, and the Camaro plaform is the replacement for the Monaro (same as the Pontiac G8 and Holden Commodore). Chances are he'll rave about the Aussie car, and still call the Camaro crap, even though it's the same chassis and drivetrain.
He also bought the Ford GT X1 and still owns it and he was supposed to test the Ford GT40 at the beginning of his career but he's too talk and couldn't get his legs in the car.....Oh and I'm British, he just doesn't take American roads into consideration when it comes to American cars either. The driving situations are completely different.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

ok im stationed in england right now. brits love to make fun of american cars, saying they are too big, not efficient, loud, just POS. i work with one on a regular basis. but the thing is. they would give anything to be rolling around in a camaro, vette, mustang, or the newest craze here the challenger. they love it. but they make fun of what they dont have. then they have the nerve to tell me how we have it made with gas prices. i was with some random brit dude and his car got 56mpg city. i told him i get 13-15 city. and our gas is half as much. they complain too much.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

they use diesel more than gas too.
and yeah the diesle v-dub's get sick mpg
Old 10-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Banned

I've been a fan for a very long time. It's been great to see this show evolve. Anybody who doesn't get the humor of Top Gear probably has no idea who John Cleese is. The British sense of humor is much different than an American one. You either get it, or you don't. Who cares if they make fun of American cars. I do, just look at anything made by AMC.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
I actually enjoy the show most of the time. I don't have a problem with some of the American jokes they cook up, but they do drag it out a little too much sometimes. In moderation it's not hard to get a chuckle out of.

don't know if it was mentioned yet,
but anybody see the top gear episode where they each buy a car in miami for $500 or $1000 then see if it'll make the drive to New Orleans?
They write Man Love and Nascar sucks on the cars as they drive through Alabama I think, and almost get killed. I like the show, but I was rooting for the locals to f them up
Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

? I don't get it. NASCAR does suck.........

If you haven't figured out that that was staged, I feel sorry for you.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do like Top Gear, but it does annoy me with bashing American cars. Now they do bash German, Aussie, and Fiat/Alfa cars once in awhile, but they just rip on American cars, a bit too much.

Contrary to what Clarkson said, the Camaro isn't actually a Vauxhall something, while it is built by the same people (Holden) and might share some things, but the Monaro/Commodore/GTO/Vauxhall version, were all built on the V-Platform. The Camaro is the new Zeta plaform.

Now I don't know all the differences of the Zeta/V Platforms, but given that Clarkson once drove a V6 Mustang, and said it was a V8, I have more room to talk...
Old 10-27-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys need to grow up and stop being so sensitive. I watch alot of that show when it comes on BBC. He makes fun of everything, that is what giving a review is about, he has to find some kind of fault in everything. You will notice that when they review the Holden(with the exact same irs and powerplant) and they absolutely loved it! He also makes fun of British cars too, but it is much more fun to make fun of something made overseas () ... So just laugh at the British people and their different sense of humor and care more about your own opinion of the new Camaro because that is all that matters.

-Stepping down from the soapbox now...
Old 10-27-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hc8719
I do like Top Gear, but it does annoy me with bashing American cars. Now they do bash German, Aussie, and Fiat/Alfa cars once in awhile, but they just rip on American cars, a bit too much.

Contrary to what Clarkson said, the Camaro isn't actually a Vauxhall something, while it is built by the same people (Holden) and might share some things, but the Monaro/Commodore/GTO/Vauxhall version, were all built on the V-Platform. The Camaro is the new Zeta plaform.

Now I don't know all the differences of the Zeta/V Platforms, but given that Clarkson once drove a V6 Mustang, and said it was a V8, I have more room to talk...
The new Commodore/G8 are built off the Zeta platform, which is a successor to the V-platform.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know that much.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Semper91-RS
Of course it will be good. Clarkson actually managed to sound like a dumbass this time, and call the Camaro a VXR8, minus two doors. I understand he thinks British\European cars > most American cars, but it's sad when he just refuses to be wrong. The ACR Viper will kill an Aston Martin DBS. The Z06 outruns and outhandles a Porsche 911 GT3 for 1/3rd the price.
Not everyone buys a performance car to out do the other guy. It may outperform but some people just care for a different feel, different materials, different look and build quality. People in the muscle car community fail to see this again and again and again.

If the zO6 and the Aston Martin DBS both cost the SAME, were equally reliable, equally as cheap to maintain. I would buy the Aston Martin DBS. Why? Because I think it's a sexier looking and feeling car. And to be honest I could care less if I won the pissing contest with 500hp instead of 400ish.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

Sp00led Ya, sadly, most people today feel they NEED to out do the next person.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:28 AM
Teching In

Hey all, Long time listener, first time caller.

Before I put my flame suit on I do have to admit 2 things:

1) I am a Mopar guy (though I owned a '55 Buick Super 2-dr hardtop and am currently considering finding a 3rd gen. F-Body for a LS1 swap.)

2) I am from California.

I would love to see the Top Gear guys evaluate the new Challenger and the new Camaro. I owed a REAL Challenger for many years. I really liked it but I still prefer the Mopar A-Bodies (Dusters, Demons,Darts)

I LOVE the new Camaro. 15 years ago I would have punched myself for saying such a thing but I have done my own evaluation of the two and as much as I hate to admit it, I really think the new Camaro is the better car. Here's why.

Base V6. Camaro 304 hp. Challenger 250 hp.

V8. Camaro 426 hp. 5.7 Challenger? no. The 6.1?...Okay, a few extra hp for a lot more $ that the aftermarket support the new Camaro will receive will fix for a lot less.

The new Camaro is also cheaper and, once again I hate to admit it despite the fact that this is purely subjective...Better looking.

Despite my own personal; bias I really do think the new Camaro is the better car when compared to both the new Mustang and Challenger.

Jeremy Clarkson's comment that we're only good at herding bison had me laughing my @$$ off! Having lived in London for quite a while I get the good-natured ribbing we give each other, the US and UK. One night in a pub I was talking smack back and forth with a bloke. We were having fun busting each others' chops. A French guy decided to start busting my ***** for being American when he heard our conversation. Both the Briton an myself immediately jumped in on mocking him. By the end of the night we were buying each other beers. I was there during 09/11/2001 and the British were great. One of their newspapers ran a full page American flag with a caption "As a show of solidarity and support, please display the American flag in the window of your home or business."

I saw them all over London.

As for the US version of Top Gear, I do believe we'll screw it up. Sure, we will not be as pedantic as the British are as we evaluate cars but at the same time, our TV is paid for by commercials. If Dodge (Fiat) is going to run ads for the new Challenger and the presenters know ad revenue pays their salary, do we really think our version will be objective? I mean, ALL of our American car shows are basically just infomercials.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tuner@Straightline
Who cares if they make fun of American cars. I do, just look at anything made by AMC.
Ohhhhh, that does it! I am taking the gloves off now! Have you SEEN the beauty that is the '74 AMC Matador?
Old 05-02-2010, 05:53 AM
12 Second Club

I've seen it.

I will never forget. And I will never get my sight back.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great show, been watching it for a while. They make fun of every car, yea the british cars less. Nonetheless the show is still funny.

I do love it when they tested the Zr-1, CTS-V, and Challenger SRT8 in this country. Jeremy hated the ZR-1 at first but then after driving it, he loved it.
"Well done, Fatman from kentucky!" LMAO!

Quick Reply: Top Gear: What if the 2010 Camaro turned out to be good?