Gen 5 Camaro Racing Tech, Results Drag racing, road racing, street racing. Share tech & results!

can someone please get in the 10s with a stock motor....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you missed the post that I said it couldnt be done? No way, no how, not gonna happen.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess that ends that.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

These tanks were not set up for the track. Simple as that, sucks, but it is what it is.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kmracer
sure, the ls3 is a strong engine, but last time i checked the engine doesnt make the car, point in case? 2010 camaro VS 2011 mustang.

plain and simple, the 5.0 is a quite a contender. its clear as glass.
No? Then explain the hoorah over the 5.0 coyote motor?

The 2010 mustang GT with the 4.6 was a joke but now, with a 5.0L (what, only .4L more) all of a sudden the mustang GT actually means something?

10's were done with a fully gutted car plus nitrous. the fact of that matter is that the 5.0 is geared better, weighs 200lbs. less and is built SPECIFICALLY for the 1/4. The 5th gen, on the other hand, wasn't. No excuses, just facts.

At this point ford is more tailored towards producing a performer while the camaro is more of a cruiser, unfortunately.

A stock LS3 has been, repeatedly, been tested to make more than enough power to get a car weighing like a 5.0 into the 10's... but weight and gearing (PLUS TM) tuned into these cars really hold it back, especially the auto's. These cars launch SOFT in stock trim with a stock trans calibration and a stall is definitely needed to get it to 60ft. decent enough to go anywhere.

I was at camaro5fest and it was astonishing how incredible shitty the stock 5th gens auto's launch. 60ft's were just not there. Now compare that to the 5.0 and the way that car leaves IS the reason it can hit a 11.6 with bolt-on's.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by obZidian
No? Then explain the hoorah over the 5.0 coyote motor?

The 2010 mustang GT with the 4.6 was a joke but now, with a 5.0L (what, only .4L more) all of a sudden the mustang GT actually means something?

with around 100 MORE rwhp stock, yes. but again, its only making 360 from the factory.

10's were done with a fully gutted car plus nitrous. the fact of that matter is that the 5.0 is geared better, weighs 200lbs. less and is built SPECIFICALLY for the 1/4. The 5th gen, on the other hand, wasn't. No excuses, just facts.

did you read the thread? 10's ALL MOTOR, NO NITROUS. how is that hard to comprehend?

At this point ford is more tailored towards producing a performer while the camaro is more of a cruiser, unfortunately.

A stock LS3 has been, repeatedly, been tested to make more than enough power to get a car weighing like a 5.0 into the 10's... but weight and gearing (PLUS TM) tuned into these cars really hold it back, especially the auto's. These cars launch SOFT in stock trim with a stock trans calibration and a stall is definitely needed to get it to 60ft. decent enough to go anywhere.

I was at camaro5fest and it was astonishing how incredible shitty the stock 5th gens auto's launch. 60ft's were just not there. Now compare that to the 5.0 and the way that car leaves IS the reason it can hit a 11.6 with bolt-on's.
so you're saying that the mustangs better? and its 10.9 with boltons, and thats in a stick. best auto bolt on time is 11.5 full weight, but that could change tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you wanted to be fast, should have bought a mustang...

I got my camaro because its a nice comfortable car, that gets peoples attention, has 20s, and came with a good stereo, HUD, and has a well established motor and transmission.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

360bhp? Funny, then explain, again, why they normally put down over 360hp to the wheels, SAE?
Old 08-28-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by obZidian
360bhp? Funny, then explain, again, why they normally put down over 360hp to the wheels, SAE?
are you a dolt? use some logic.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

The only thing i see is SHOP built cars, built for the strip only. Seems to be a little hyped, until we see average cars built by average joes then we will seewhat the car can do. Any car done right, like how the 2011 mustangs have been, will do the same. A couple of drawbacks i think the camaros have are the 20's, being heavy, and IRS. The first fast 2011 mustangs had bigs and skinnys and with drag suspension, meaning the car was gonna run quick. I have yet to see a drag camaro, nothing but a bunch dyno queens, something that the 5.0's will NEVER be. Plain and simple the mustang as a car is superior to the camaro, but the engine in the camaro is superior to the mustangs.

Maybe its time for someone to do a well setup H/C camaro with a stalled AUTO on slicks. The 1.2 liter advantage should easily outpace any numbers put out by the mustang.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

I said:

"The 2010 mustang GT with the 4.6 was a joke but now, with a 5.0L (what, only .4L more) all of a sudden the mustang GT actually means something?"

You said:

"with around 100 MORE rwhp stock, yes. but again, its only making 360 from the factory."

Point is,

You said:

"sure, the ls3 is a strong engine, but last time i checked the engine doesnt make the car, point in case? 2010 camaro VS 2011 mustang."

Which you answered with:

"with around 100 MORE rwhp stock, yes."

Clear?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

take a great platform and give it a buncha N/A power, YEA.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

well it is def a good point that the new 5.0 was clearly built more towards being a performer while the camaro was more toward a cruiser/performer BUT the thing is the camaro has ALWAYS been on top of mustang when it came to putting down numbers except for 1983... other than that camaro for as long as its been in production stock for stock has been on top. it does suck that now all of a sudden this one car is out and laying down some good numbers (good job ford) but seriouslythere has to be someoe who can do a good heads cam setup cut out some of that USELESS weight (wheels, spare ****, full exhaust...etc) and run in the 10s on stock suspension...the power to weight combo after doing that should easily get these into the 10s with a good driver... say 3600lbs and 550RWHP which is a realistic figure for loosing weight and a good H/C/I/E number...mod for mod these cars should always be on top
Old 08-30-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

11.20's was as close as I could get. Never went back after the heads were put on.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OrangeChevyII
11.20's was as close as I could get. Never went back after the heads were put on.
Full weight?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

take a great platform and give it a buncha N/A power, YEA.
Nobody is arguing that the mustang ISN'T a "great platform" but without the 5.0 coyote motor, it was just another, typical GT. Underpowered. So, in fact the motor did make the car. Furthermore, it goes without question that the 200lbs weight advantage (plus gearing) the 5.0 has is going to make it solid track car but without that 7k rpm range and MORE than 412BHP (without question it is making just as much as the LS3 or more) the GT wouldn't be the subject of so many threads. It is what it is, facts are facts.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:37 AM
9 Second Club

Speedinc has a 2010 SS Camaro running 11.0 or 11.1 if it serves my memory correctly stock motor with a TVS supercharger.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by C Murda
well it is def a good point that the new 5.0 was clearly built more towards being a performer while the camaro was more toward a cruiser/performer BUT the thing is the camaro has ALWAYS been on top of mustang when it came to putting down numbers except for 1983... other than that camaro for as long as its been in production stock for stock has been on top. it does suck that now all of a sudden this one car is out and laying down some good numbers (good job ford) but seriouslythere has to be someoe who can do a good heads cam setup cut out some of that USELESS weight (wheels, spare ****, full exhaust...etc) and run in the 10s on stock suspension...the power to weight combo after doing that should easily get these into the 10s with a good driver... say 3600lbs and 550RWHP which is a realistic figure for loosing weight and a good H/C/I/E number...mod for mod these cars should always be on top
All good points but the problem is that most folks are NOW more concerned with the looks and bragging rights of the camaro than actual performance. I think the 6th gen. with the lighter alpha platform is going to help bridge the gap however all ford has to do is make a tweaks and be right back into the game. Which, isn't all that bad really. We need the american car, sports car to shine and make a stand. The import scene is to prevalent and the "bad-rap" the american cars have needs to be addressed.

Does anyone know the exact weight of the EVO 5.0 when they did the 10 sec. run?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02sleeperz28
Speedinc has a 2010 SS Camaro running 11.0 or 11.1 if it serves my memory correctly stock motor with a TVS supercharger.
They did an 11.0 on stock internals. Larry said the axle came apart on what would have been a 10 sec. pass.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jetaws6
The mustang has aggressive gearing for a stock car. Thats what makes up for the lack of motor. I think if someone gutted out a camaro, did the suspension, some bolt on's, drag lites with radials on the back and maybe some gears it could hit 10's with an aggressive tune
lets do it to your dads camaro!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by southpaw0314
lets do it to your dads camaro!
Im pretty sure id be dead if I stripped his car down and put anything on it

Quick Reply: can someone please get in the 10s with a stock motor....