Gen 5 Camaro Tuning, Diagnostics, Dyno results Tuning problems, solutions, dyno results for Gen 5 Camaro

Torque Management in manual cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque Management in manual cars?

Is there a lot of torque management in the manual SS cars? I finally got a chance to test drive one yesterday, and although I really liked the car, I was really a bit disappointed in the perceived power. On the 1-2 shift I really expected it to put me into my seat, but it didn't. It really felt quite soft after shifts. Considering the 300+ftlbs at 2krpms that I've seen on stock dyno graphs, I'd expect considerably more thrust when shifting.

If it is TM, do the aftermarket tuners get rid of it, and are the tuners detectable by the dealer if I need warranty work?

I'm hoping to order before spring, but the lack of power really makes me wonder if I'll be happy.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is torque management. I think the throttle body closes to 30% when you shift no matter what RPM you're at or how much you push the pedal. Another thing about these cars is they really open up around 2k miles.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dark SS
There is torque management. I think the throttle body closes to 30% when you shift no matter what RPM you're at or how much you push the pedal.
That explains what I felt 100%.

So... if I buy one, how do I get rid of that? Do aftermarket diablo-style tuners get rid of it or do I have to have a custom tune done?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not entirely sure about that. I know that once I had mine dyno tuned and broken in it turned into a completely different animal. I too was disappointed at the performance at first, it seemed to lack that "seat of the pants" power. Now, no complaints.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would think that your dyno tune would have eliminated the TM, or at least significantly reduced it.

My one worry would be warranty issues. Nobody seems to know if it's easy enough to swap PCMs or if they're too smart for that now too.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah there is loads of torque management.
You can zero it out no problem. Just use the pedal on the floor to control torque
Old 10-23-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
I would think that your dyno tune would have eliminated the TM, or at least significantly reduced it.

My one worry would be warranty issues. Nobody seems to know if it's easy enough to swap PCMs or if they're too smart for that now too.
Yeah my tune definitely took care of it. I'm just not sure how much a hand held programmer will take out.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Banned

Deleting engine or trans. torque management completely (automatic/manual) is a click away with Hp Tuners. Subtle adjustment is already built into the custom tune on some handhelds i.e. Superchips 2010 Camaro Limited Edition Handheld Tuner PN# 2885.

Last edited by 2TightwadsRacing; 12-15-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I delete ( ZERO) out all the torque management except for the traction control.

Why let your computer slow you car down. Left if you cant hang

Quick Reply: Torque Management in manual cars?