Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

2010 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WECIV
Will still spank a V6 Camaro cause it weighs a lot less. And I applaud Ford's weight control methods!!!

W
Yea, well having 50 more ft/lbs of torque doesn't hurt either. The whole V6 Camaro vs current Mustang GT thing has really gotten out of hand. All ppl are doing is looking at rated hp and jumping to all sorts of weird fanboy-based conclusions. And it's strange too, considering that if you really WERE basing the comparison on just HP specs........you SHOULD conclude that the two cars would be even (since both ARE rated at 300hp). Ppl saying that the sixxer Camaro is gonna be walking all over GT's really baffles me.......cuz there are no numbers on which to base such a stupid statement.

Anyways, rant/off. This is supposed to be a roasting of the 2010 Mustang unveil...

I guess, truly, if Ford was not looking to battle head to head with the Camaro SS in the performance department....you can't really be disappointed with what they've done with the redesign. The looks are subjective, though either way its still got some nice curves. I like that they gave the car some hips finally. The car hasn't grown in curb weight, and they've given buyers some performance gaining options (3:73s, better brakes, etc.). But what's really great is the interior redesign and the bevy of new options. Combine that with a decent performing RWD V8 and it still holds up to its heritage (even if that DOES mean coming in a bit behind the Camaro in the go-fast department )
Old 11-19-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Codefive
I dont see enough changes to really make a big hoopla over. I like the change in the grille but the rest of it looks the same IMO.
Hope they have better luck with the changes:
I know a dealer in FL that as of last week still had 7 left over GTs and they are offering them up for $23K out the door.
Look for the curves from the side view. The curves of the 60-70's Mustang were the qtr panel dips down a bit as it comes to the door. The tail lights are different. The roof seams like the angle has changed. I like the hood front of this stang WAY more then the 05-09.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the interior isn't much better at all. If you haven't driven a new mustang you'd understand how CRAPPY the interior is. My '00 Silverado has more comfortable interior. I rented a GT in Hawaii(only convertible available for the price) and it was JUNK. My cousin was gonna buy one until he drove that one and realised how sh*t the interior was and how LITTLE power they really had. It appears the guage cluster area is slightly different and better seats maybe.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
the interior isn't much better at all. If you haven't driven a new mustang you'd understand how CRAPPY the interior is. My '00 Silverado has more comfortable interior. I rented a GT in Hawaii(only convertible available for the price) and it was JUNK. My cousin was gonna buy one until he drove that one and realised how sh*t the interior was and how LITTLE power they really had. It appears the guage cluster area is slightly different and better seats maybe.
Sorry, but the interior in the current car is not as bad as you're desperately trying to portray. And the interior in the 2010 is much much better than the current car's....by far. I've ridden in several late year model Silverados (we use them at my work) as well as a C5 Vette, and I don't see how you have any basis to slam the current Stang's interior.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Sorry, but the interior in the current car is not as bad as you're desperately trying to portray. And the interior in the 2010 is much much better than the current car's....by far. I've ridden in several late year model Silverados (we use them at my work) as well as a C5 Vette, and I don't see how you have any basis to slam the current Stang's interior.
Actually, I too rented a 07 Mustang this summer.. The interior was not great at all...even some of my buddies that rode along with me said the interior was really cheap.. I mean it was a new car and all, but the materials and the comfort of the car just did not impress me one bit, but it isn't a luxury car either so I didn't expect much. But how can you go and say the '10 stang has a "much, much better interior than the current car's...by far" when you haven't even been in the car, but simply saw pictures of it and are going by what some reveiw is stating? So although it is most likely nicer, it might not be as nice as you are deperately trying to portray it..

I do not care for the rear of the car, the front I thought was ugly at first, but now it is growing on me a little, but still like the old front was better.

Either way, if the interior on the New Camaro is anything like the interior of the GTO's (in which I think the Camaro's is going to be even better, and I am talking about quality, materials, layout, etc.. not just on the "look" of it) then the mustang is going to absolutely need a NICE interior to even be on the same level, so it's good that Ford adressed the need for a nicer interior in the new, refreshed model.

So I beleive he does have basis to say what he wants about the current stangs interior, because from everything I have read over the years it is a very regular thing to hear that the interior on it is less than impressive, even from mustang owners themselves...

Last edited by YoungGunLs1; 11-19-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

Im sorry but Mustang interiors are pretty bad, even the new ones. Now, Im not saying that the 4th Gen camaros are any better......... because they are not, they are worse. But U cannot deny that the build quality is not up to par as compared to body lines/ gaps of some manufacturers like lexus, mercedes, or even VW.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I was expecting a little more but its a ford so why did I even try to convince myself?
Old 11-20-2008, 01:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I was expecting a little more but its a ford so why did I even try to convince myself?

haha= +one on the one and hey... it might just be me but at a glance going down the road could this simlarity be noticed?

FOR SOME REASON THE *** END LOOKS A LIL BIT ALIKE AND COULD BE MISTAKEN DRIVING DOWN THE RD..... and damn.... are the japs designing ford cars now.... i mean come on aussies are designing the GM cars now....
the difference is....

the aussie's kick *** at it
Old 11-20-2008, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=ThisBlood147;10506619]Yea, well having 50 more ft/lbs of torque doesn't hurt either. The whole V6 Camaro vs current Mustang GT thing has really gotten out of hand. All ppl are doing is looking at rated hp and jumping to all sorts of weird fanboy-based conclusions. And it's strange too, considering that if you really WERE basing the comparison on just HP specs........you SHOULD conclude that the two cars would be even (since both ARE rated at 300hp). Ppl saying that the sixxer Camaro is gonna be walking all over GT's really baffles me.......cuz there are no numbers on which to base such a stupid statement.
I have to say your correct as much as I do not like the Mustangs. The power curve of the V6 camaro is not linear. While the power curve of the Mustang GT is. the GT mustang will walk the V6 camaro hard. Im going to say the V6 Camaro will pull mid to high 14's with all that wieght and power curve on the tables.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ya I doubt the V6 camaro will walk the stang GT stock vs stock. But it could be interesting to compare them just to see how well the 6 keeps up.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

I really don't see how people are gonna buy this hunk of ****! I like how the current line up of Stangs look right now WAY better than this junk. Its gonna be fun to run into a few of em on the road though.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dude i wasn't just slamming the mustang interior just off a random assumption. I'VE DRIVEN a '07 Mustang GT in Hawaii. they are CRAP. I'd say on par with my '96 Z28's **** interior. All hard plastic and the seats were HORRIBLE. i'm not saying they didn't make improvements on the new one but from what i can SEE IN THOSE PICS. they didn't do much. maybe improved the seats a little, better center console, and the guage cluster area looks a little cleaner. other than that i'd be willing to put money down that it's still the hard cheap plastic. my trucks dash is all cheap plastic, i know this, but the seats were WAY more comfortable than that Mustang we rented. IDK what C5's you've ridden in but going from that Mustang, my buddies '03 Cobra and other friends that have had mustangs, to the C5 you are a FOOL if you think Ford has put out ANY mustang with better interior than the C5/6 Vette's. 5/6th Gen Vettes interior is 10x's better than anything Ford has put in the mustang. I'm sorry but it's the truth...
Old 11-20-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06black6spd
I have to say your correct as much as I do not like the Mustangs. The power curve of the V6 camaro is not linear. While the power curve of the Mustang GT is. the GT mustang will walk the V6 camaro hard. Im going to say the V6 Camaro will pull mid to high 14's with all that wieght and power curve on the tables.
Agreed. I don't doubt the new sixxer Camaro is gonna give previous generation GT's some heartburn....especially modded up. But that's the march of technology for ya.

And ColeTrain, I'll withdraw my harsh statement made in response to your previous post. I know that I'm satisfied with my GT's interior, but I also know that most rental companies don't stock Mustangs with the interior upgrade package.......so I can kinda see where your dismay comes from. The base S197 interior is not pretty. But for the genre car that it comes in, its not that horrible. And I never said the current Mustang had a better interior than the C5's, I just didn't think the C5's or Silverado's interior was so much grander as to warrant such a harsh review. But everyone's opinion is their own.........so it's cool.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Funny thing is when the magazines do a big comparo of the Challenger RT, Stang GT, and the camaro SS...the Stang GT is going to be slower than the new Camaro but it is going to hang within tenths of a second because it weighs so much less.

W
Old 11-20-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

Agreed. I don't doubt the new sixxer Camaro is gonna give previous generation GT's some heartburn....especially modded up. But that's the march of technology for ya.

And ColeTrain, I'll withdraw my harsh statement made in response to your previous post. I know that I'm satisfied with my GT's interior, but I also know that most rental companies don't stock Mustangs with the interior upgrade package.......so I can kinda see where your dismay comes from. The base S197 interior is not pretty. But for the genre car that it comes in, its not that horrible. And I never said the current Mustang had a better interior than the C5's, I just didn't think the C5's or Silverado's interior was so much grander as to warrant such a harsh review. But everyone's opinion is their own.........so it's cool.

I almost doubt the New v6 camaro can out run a 1998 215 hp 285 torq Mustang GT.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Fugly!
Old 11-21-2008, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
I almost doubt the New v6 camaro can out run a 1998 215 hp 285 torq Mustang GT.
What do they run? Low-mid 14's stock?

Pretty sure the base camaro will run those numbers.

And I agree that people who say they will beat or smoke GT's (last generation or current generation) are wrong... A real noticeable beating on the road would be by .5 seconds or more in the 1/4 mile.. However, the V6 camaro in stock form running low-mid 14's is going to KEEP UP quite well a lot of stock GT mustangs of all years (not beat, not smoke, but HOLD ITS OWN)

But who cares, because the SS camaro is the one built to compete with the Mustang GT...now if we compare the V6 to its real competitors, the V6 mustang and V6 Challanger... aprox. 15.3 1/4 mile for the mustang V6 and aprox 15.6 1/4 mile for the challenger V6... The camaro is really going to be a full second quicker than both in the 1/4.. and really is just going to be so much more car for the money in base model form compared to the base model of the other two.

Anyways back on topic...
Old 11-21-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

More pics

Coupe
http://www.supercars.net/cars/4280.html

Conv
http://www.supercars.net/cars/4281.html
Old 11-21-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YoungGunLs1
What do they run? Low-mid 14's stock?

Pretty sure the base camaro will run those numbers.

And I agree that people who say they will beat or smoke GT's (last generation or current generation) are wrong... A real noticeable beating on the road would be by .5 seconds or more in the 1/4 mile.. However, the V6 camaro in stock form running low-mid 14's is going to KEEP UP quite well a lot of stock GT mustangs of all years (not beat, not smoke, but HOLD ITS OWN)

But who cares, because the SS camaro is the one built to compete with the Mustang GT...now if we compare the V6 to its real competitors, the V6 mustang and V6 Challanger... aprox. 15.3 1/4 mile for the mustang V6 and aprox 15.6 1/4 mile for the challenger V6... The camaro is really going to be a full second quicker than both in the 1/4.. and really is just going to be so much more car for the money in base model form compared to the base model of the other two.

Anyways back on topic...

Maybe mid 15s
I test drove a 96 or97 brand new, it was an auto though, it was the slowest pos. i hated everything about it,
went and looked at a cobra and the dip ship wouldnt even let us drive it, so we ended up buying a 97 z28 Loved it run hight 13s stock, wish i would of waited for 98 though lol.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

I haven't taken my 96 manual Gt to the track but the previous owner did in St. Louis. He pulled a 14.5 with lowering springs, short throw shifter.

I bought it at 180k miles for 3 grand.

Its got 240k miles on it now
and frpp shorty headers, o/r x pipe, SLP loud mouth exhaust, 03 cobra A-arm, K/N FIPK, Spec stage 2 clutch kit, Steeda quadrant cable kit, under drive pullies. 3.73 gears

I'd say if a great driver got ahold of my car it could do 13.9 at least. I'm not worried about the new v6 camaro.

Quick Reply: 2010 mustang