Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

2010 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I've been mostly just reading all these post for a while and im ready to give my 2 cents. Ive been at the track here in phoenix a couple times and I happened to race some new mustangs, first I raced a 08 mustang gt auto it went a best of 14.3 he couldnt get it in the 13s maybe the fact that it was a convertible didnt help either but that thing was running times comparable to my old lt1. Then I raced a 05 gt manual 5speed that had headers, gears, drag radials and a small tune it did a best 13.4 in the quarter But now that i have my ls1 im able to run a 13.1 stock with little bolt ons like catback and pullies and a lid and stock gears. So my point is that a v6 camaro will definitly get beatin by a mustang gt but will give it a run for its money, knowing that the new v6 camaro is pulling mid to high 14s with a six speed auto and 3700lbs is pretty amazing. So what the v6 cant do the v8 will finish. And for those who think its to heavy just look at the G8 gt its doing pretty well for a 4000 pound car with less hp than the camaro and more weight, ive seen g8 gt doing mid 13s to low 14s which is not bad at all..
Old 11-22-2008, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 187fl
Hey guys I've been mostly just reading all these post for a while and im ready to give my 2 cents. Ive been at the track here in phoenix a couple times and I happened to race some new mustangs, first I raced a 08 mustang gt auto it went a best of 14.3 he couldnt get it in the 13s maybe the fact that it was a convertible didnt help either but that thing was running times comparable to my old lt1. Then I raced a 05 gt manual 5speed that had headers, gears, drag radials and a small tune it did a best 13.4 in the quarter But now that i have my ls1 im able to run a 13.1 stock with little bolt ons like catback and pullies and a lid and stock gears. So my point is that a v6 camaro will definitly get beatin by a mustang gt but will give it a run for its money, knowing that the new v6 camaro is pulling mid to high 14s with a six speed auto and 3700lbs is pretty amazing. So what the v6 cant do the v8 will finish. And for those who think its to heavy just look at the G8 gt its doing pretty well for a 4000 pound car with less hp than the camaro and more weight, ive seen g8 gt doing mid 13s to low 14s which is not bad at all..
The Camaro is too damn heavy, the world isn't one big drag strip and not everyone only wants to drag race. Just think if the Camaro or the G8 weight the same as the Mustang GT, we would have a deep in the 12's with awesome handling.

So weight is an issue.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

It would be perfect if the cars were lighter, but a g8 gt with 4 doors and a weight of 3500 pounds is not gonna happen, but even at 4000 pounds im sure the g8 would keep up a mustang in the hadling department. The camaro is heavier do to having a irs and a better and stronger chassis than the older fbodys, with that said its better suited in the handling department. I just checked some reviews and the g8 stops from 60 at 109 feet while a 2008 mustang bulitt stops at 127, both run the quarter about the same even with the mustangs 500 pound weight advantage. The latteral g is about the same but the as tested price favors the g8. Im getting my data from Motor Trend these numbers might be different on other magazine reviews but with all that said I think these numbers would be comparable to the the new camaro and on top of that the camaro will have more hp and torque and mabe weight a little less probably like 100 less. So the camaro even heavier is a really good steal. The prices announced for these new camaros are comparable to the old ones back in 2002, so chevy is doing a darn good job if you ask me.

These are my sources

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...test_data.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../handling.html
Old 11-22-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
I haven't taken my 96 manual Gt to the track but the previous owner did in St. Louis. He pulled a 14.5 with lowering springs, short throw shifter.

I bought it at 180k miles for 3 grand.

Its got 240k miles on it now
and frpp shorty headers, o/r x pipe, SLP loud mouth exhaust, 03 cobra A-arm, K/N FIPK, Spec stage 2 clutch kit, Steeda quadrant cable kit, under drive pullies. 3.73 gears

I'd say if a great driver got ahold of my car it could do 13.9 at least. I'm not worried about the new v6 camaro.

13.9 is enough to throw you back into your seat? 240k miles? 3grand with 180,000 miles on it? WTF? I'm sorry back on topic.

I like the new front restyling as for the rest of the car.... ehh, it's not different enough, and continues to be slow. I saw in another thread links to Gm's performance numbers for the 6er camaro, i believe it was running Lt1 times. if i recall right, they were 6.1 to 60 and 14.31 in the quarter. certainly competition for Every 90's stang, and almost all of their new ones. 14.31 is very respectable for a 6cyl
Old 11-22-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phirepower
if i recall right, they were 6.1 to 60 and 14.31 in the quarter. certainly competition for Every 90's stang, and almost all of their new ones. 14.31 is very respectable for a 6cyl
Not when the new 350Z's are running low 13's with just 307hp.

Sorry, just HAD to take that shot.

And I think it's about time to just lock the threads in here on the 2010 Mustang. No good will come from them. Ford guys just get razzed for being slow and the GM guys aren't impressed with anything having to do with Mustangs anyways.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 187fl
The camaro is heavier do to having a irs and a better and stronger chassis than the older fbodys, with that said its better suited in the handling department.
While everyone likes to think IRS adds a bunch of weight it doesn't over a comparable in strength SRA.
The 03/04 Cobra's IRS is said to be only 80lbs more than the solid axle setup, but Ford saved 125lbs of unsprung weight, thats a huge difference. And from what I remember Ford/lincons IRS on the Cobra is a heavy example.
As far as the chassis rigidity on the 5th gen, while it certainly will be a strong chassis, the bulky weight comes from the fact that its a large sedan based chassis. If GM could have put the Camaro on a smaller chassis it would be much lighter.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea. I found a photo of the new Camaro chassis minus the body panels, and it is a very sturdy framework under the skin. That's where most of the weight is coming from. You won't be seeing alot of body flex in these new cars....which is a good thing.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147

And I think it's about time to just lock the threads in here on the 2010 Mustang. No good will come from them. Ford guys just get razzed for being slow and the GM guys aren't impressed with anything having to do with Mustangs anyways.

350z is a performance car though, they are throwing the 3.6 300 hp motor in everything these days at gm. But i do get what you are saying
Old 11-25-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

I'd like to see a stock video of one running low 13's cause I don't believe it. I don't see a stock one doing better then 13.7. And thats with a great driver in the best conditions.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
I'd like to see a stock video of one running low 13's cause I don't believe it. I don't see a stock one doing better then 13.7. And thats with a great driver in the best conditions.

Im with you on this one
Old 11-26-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, truthfully, I'm still skeptical as well. But there's guys and various sources swearing up and down that the new HR 350Z's are capable of 13.2-13.3 bone stock, and have reportedly recorded times as such. Now......is it true? I don't know.....you tell me. I wasn't there to confirm that the guys didn't use DR's or weight reduction. These record breaking stocker times tend to make my head hurt.......so many little loopholes that ppl like to use and still consider themselves stock. I try not to get involved in those arguments anymore.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Well, truthfully, I'm still skeptical as well. But there's guys and various sources swearing up and down that the new HR 350Z's are capable of 13.2-13.3 bone stock, and have reportedly recorded times as such. Now......is it true? I don't know.....you tell me. I wasn't there to confirm that the guys didn't use DR's or weight reduction. These record breaking stocker times tend to make my head hurt.......so many little loopholes that ppl like to use and still consider themselves stock. I try not to get involved in those arguments anymore.
If so, it had to been done at the perfect elevation on a great day on a prepped track lol.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

caseypayne

You think that an exhaust (not even full exhaust...you have shorty headers) cai and 3.73 gears is going to take 6 tenths off of your car on top of the fact that you have 240k on it now? And how many miles did it have on it when the previous owner supposedly ran a 14.5?

I disagree. If I were you I would be very worried about the new camaro v6.
And the 14.5 times are just the initial estimates. You really think that is all they will ever be good for? I wouldnt be surprised If I seen one break into 13's if the estimates are 14.5.

And I assume you are hoping all new v6 camaros are stock? what if they had compareable mods to you...then what would happen?
Have you seen what kind of gains these motors make with minimal mods? you had better hope the v6 camaro is bone stock down to the paper filter or you might be in for a spanking

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 11-28-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
caseypayne

You think that an exhaust (not even full exhaust...you have shorty headers) cai and 3.73 gears is going to take 6 tenths off of your car on top of the fact that you have 240k on it now? And how many miles did it have on it when the previous owner supposedly ran a 14.5?

I disagree. If I were you I would be very worried about the new camaro v6.
And the 14.5 times are just the initial estimates. You really think that is all they will ever be good for? I wouldnt be surprised If I seen one break into 13's if the estimates are 14.5.

And I assume you are hoping all new v6 camaros are stock? what if they had compareable mods to you...then what would happen?
Have you seen what kind of gains these motors make with minimal mods? you had better hope the v6 camaro is bone stock down to the paper filter or you might be in for a spanking
This threads not about my car. Its a pos I kept cause I'm proud of its mileage and its my mountain of truth that American made V8's do last, if you take care of them. My trans is going out and every time I shift hard it grinds and it smokes when it sits at idles, big manly clouds of smoke roll out at lights. It also carries my child 13 months old in a babyseat. I'm proud of my pos that I bought with cash while in college.

I'm not affraid of the New v6 A.) cause I don't race at tracks, B.) don't care about how my car performs against another. Cars I have raced? LT1 TA with bolt's and he could drive for **** cause he barely beat since he didn't know how to launch, I'd destroyed the Cobalt SS, a 2006 Auto 350Z, 2007 Mustang V6 with Exhaust, intake and predator tune. My cars good enough till I'm ready for a meaner car or replace the engine in this with a Cobra or 351 of some kind. I did want a newer car but don't care anymore. 05-08 GT's are manly attracted by the Trended crowd right now, and 03/04 Cobra's are to expensive till I finally get a job toward my degree. I was also focused on a 99 Fixed roof Corvette. But I want a sports car i can haul my family in.

PS my car does have full exhaust too.

Last edited by caseypayne69; 11-30-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Its ugly compare to the 2005 gen. *** looks really bad. Front doesnt look better and the wheels suck...
Old 12-01-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

YES YES YES!!!!

I am sooooo happy they actually manned-up and made it look like the 68-7x body style! With looks like that a Boss and Mach 1 HAVE to be coming.

Rear end sucks a bit though....

I wonder if Ford will make the 4.6L the new LX when the 5.0L is undoubtably re-introduced on the Boss...
Old 12-01-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

Gay!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Teching In

careful guys.. its gonna have 315 horsep0w@s
Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope no one slams ~300 rwhp too bad. That's what our LS1 cars have.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpe
I hope no one slams ~300 rwhp too bad. That's what our LS1 cars have.
This mustang has 315 fly wheel hp, like all other manufacturers rate at.

Quick Reply: 2010 mustang