Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

New Camaro alot like a gto

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sanddperformance
Look at how big of a hit the gto was.

It was? I thought they stopped production on them because they sold like hot chocolate on Daytona Beach in the middle of June.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jeremy02
It was? I thought they stopped production on them because they sold like hot chocolate on Daytona Beach in the middle of June.
yeah im pretty sure this is truth.....
Old 12-16-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would agree the 04 GTO doesnt look very aggressive, but 05 and up looks so much better! I wish the New Camaro was lighter but hey its still gonna be fast! I dont know how ford can not bother being competitive with either the new Camaro, or Challenger, seems like they will never get ahead or even.....
Old 12-16-2008, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
I would agree the 04 GTO doesnt look very aggressive, but 05 and up looks so much better! I wish the New Camaro was lighter but hey its still gonna be fast! I dont know how ford can not bother being competitive with either the new Camaro, or Challenger, seems like they will never get ahead or even.....
I think Pontiac would have loved to be more agressive with the GTO's styling, but they was criticized previously for having boy racer like body cladding. (IE) The Grand-Am/Grand Prix/ Bonneville/ was targeted for these reasons. I like the Gto even though it needed to have more of a presence so to speak. I think with the new competition Ford will step up in power for the Mustang Gt. Now if they don't get the loans from the government we might be seeing the end of the modern performance era.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

You thought wrong. The GTO was never planned to go past 2006 because Holden stopped making the chassis. That was known in the beginning.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

That doesn't negate the fact they didn't sell. I'm not bashing your car, I love GTOs, but don't try to defend their shitty numbers just because you have one.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTO's plan from day one was 3 model years, 15,000 cars maximum per year.
They built around 42,000 in the 3 years, so pretty close to target.

GTO and Camaro are similar in that they are both coupes, both are RWD, and both have 4 wheels and 4 tires and windsheilds.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Teching In

I like owning a car that I rarely ever see someone else driving. I get tired of seeing gazillions of mustangs, corvettes, camaros, and trans ams. So a lot of people didn't like the GTO. To each his own. Have fun driving with the rest of the clones (no offense).
Old 12-17-2008, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hoffs05GTO
I like owning a car that I rarely ever see someone else driving. I get tired of seeing gazillions of mustangs, corvettes, camaros, and trans ams. So a lot of people didn't like the GTO. To each his own. Have fun driving with the rest of the clones (no offense).
It's good to have a different unique car that everyone and their cousin doesn't have, i agree with that.In saying this there is always a trade off,(IE) The Impala SS/ Grand National/Syclone/Typhoon/ are all great vehicles but do to lack of a gazillion sales didn't last long. I wonder what these vehicles including the Thunderbird Turbo-coupe/ Monte Carlo SS/ GNX/Hurst Olds/ would be if they were continued today ???? I remember when Chevy delayed the C-4 Corvette in '83 which had no model that year . Even though it was only a year it still was missed by many. As i have stated before i want the new Camaro/Challenger/Mustang/Corvette's to sell otherwise we might end up with no American Muscle.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BLUE OVAL TURBO
It's good to have a different unique car that everyone and their cousin doesn't have, i agree with that.In saying this there is always a trade off,(IE) The Impala SS/ Grand National/Syclone/Typhoon/ are all great vehicles but do to lack of a gazillion sales didn't last long. I wonder what these vehicles including the Thunderbird Turbo-coupe/ Monte Carlo SS/ GNX/Hurst Olds/ would be if they were continued today ???? I remember when Chevy delayed the C-4 Corvette in '83 which had no model that year . Even though it was only a year it still was missed by many. As i have stated before i want the new Camaro/Challenger/Mustang/Corvette's to sell otherwise we might end up with no American Muscle.
That's not true. The Grand National was a car people begged GM to keep in production and they added shifts to meet demand, they sold over 25,000 in 1987. That's more than many muscle cars today sell.

The reason the Grand National stopped production was the same reason the Sy/Ty and LSX GTO stopped production, the lines that built them were always planned to convert over to producing something else at a scheduled date.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Veteran

The Camaro and GTO are very similar in design because Holden created them both. If you've driven the G8 (which is a rebadged Holden like the GTO was) you'll have a very good idea what the Camaro will be like as Holden made it out of the G8 itself. I own both a GTO and a G8 and they are very similar, except the G8's steering and suspension is light years ahead.

The line the G8 rolls down in Australia is the same one that produced the GTO and the G8 is the next generation of that car. GTO (and Monaro) production stopped in Spring 2006 to changover to producing the all-new Commodore (which is what the G8 is with a different nose).
Old 12-17-2008, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TriShield
That's not true. The Grand National was a car people begged GM to keep in production and they added shifts to meet demand, they sold over 25,000 in 1987. That's more than many muscle cars today sell.

The reason the Grand National stopped production was the same reason the Sy/Ty and LSX GTO stopped production, the lines that built them were always planned to convert over to producing something else at a scheduled date.
My point is the G-body's were made into FWD chassis due to lack of demand for RWD. 25,000 plus the 547 GNX models was not going to change GM's mind about the change. I comprehend what you are saying about a change in production strategy but the changes where due to slow sales.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:58 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

BlueOvalTurbo, what are you arguing, I am not following you.

Now I think the fastest stock LS2 GTO went like 13.3? If that is the case, the new Camaro will be as fast or faster. It's probably not that much heavier and it makes power power. I'm hoping to run 12's stock in my ordered 5G 6AT Camaro.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
BlueOvalTurbo, what are you arguing, I am not following you.

Now I think the fastest stock LS2 GTO went like 13.3? If that is the case, the new Camaro will be as fast or faster. It's probably not that much heavier and it makes power power. I'm hoping to run 12's stock in my ordered 5G 6AT Camaro.
READ THE POST BY TRI SHIELD AFTER MINE "ANSWER" . Discussing is the actual word no one is argueing. Back on topic : The new Camaro will do fine as long as GM " Chevy" stay's committed to it's success.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

That doesn't negate the fact they didn't sell.
How many didn't get sold?

I'm not bashing your car, I love GTOs, but don't try to defend their shitty numbers just because you have one.
I didn't defend anything, I stated a fact. You thought wrong. Sorry if you don't like being corrected. 4th gen f-bods, like you have, didn't exactly sell like hot cakes.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I thought that some had broken into the 12's with the ls2 GTO stock? And im sure that 13.3 was rather easily achievable with a good driver.

pretty much mirrored an ls1 f-bod in the 1/4 from what ive read
Old 12-17-2008, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Now I think the fastest stock LS2 GTO went like 13.3?
Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
I thought that some had broken into the 12's with the ls2 GTO stock? And im sure that 13.3 was rather easily achievable with a good driver.
They did, at least two people ran in the high 12s in a bone stock LS2 GTO, might've even been three people actually.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

I will be looking at an SS when my 335i lease is up. But the GTO is very tempting. There really is not that much difference between the cars and the difference in price will buy a lot of mods to easily make up the small (most likely) performance gap.

GTO prices seem be hit hard by the pending release of the Camaro which makes them an attractive deal.

GTO versus the Camaro:
Plainer looking, 40-50% cheaper, and will always be a more unique car to drive.

One other interesting point on this thread is that you can now buy a used GT 500s for mid to high thirties. That car will hold its value better than either of these two cars. It has tons of mod potential. I know thats LS heresy, sorry.

Last edited by Fraxum; 12-22-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:29 AM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by Fraxum
One other interesting point on this thread is that you can now buy a used Cobra for mid to high thirties.
Are you referring to the '03/'04 Cobras?
Cheaper than that I bet....they were even down to the low 20s at one point before they started climbing back up.
Unless you meant the GT500s.

And yes, a used 6.0L GTO is an amazing performance bargain/value but it's still not quite the total package that the new Camaro SS will be.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BLUE OVAL TURBO
The Grand National would have continued to sell, and continued to rise in sales....but thanks Chevrolet and its beloved corvette (that the Grand National desimated) they were stopped and the buick regal became a 4 door fwd family car.....its like Chevy punished buick for having a faster car than a corvette. And todays Typhoon (TBSS) has done fairly well i think

Last edited by Grand National 5-0; 12-22-2008 at 01:11 AM.

Quick Reply: New Camaro alot like a gto