Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Wheels for the 5th gen suck!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You seriously cannot spend $2,000 more when you can afford a $28,000 car?

You can have a 300hp V6 model for under $23,000 if all you care about is numbers. I'm not sure if you have realized this or not, but the Monte Carlo is built on an outdated platform (which is shared by 4 other cars) and produced at a much higher quantity than the Camaro will be, while using an outdated transmission, and parts bin everything.
The Camaro on the other hand is riding on a brand new chassis developed around the world on various race tracks, has two great new transmissions, a much better built quality, and much better quality brakes and suspension.
And you are complaining about a $4,000 difference in price for a car that's light years ahead in almost every conceivable way. Even the V6 Camaro will outperform the Monte Carlo SS in everything, while being cheaper and built way better.
Well the Monte SS will take the v6 Camaro in straight line acceleration that i know of. Stock ls4's are at least high 13 cars. From what ive seen the v6 Camaro's are what low to mid 14's? There is a nice size torque advantage for the Monte. So it is more that just sheer #'s. But anyway I hope GM sells the hell out of the new Camaro's. They are badass cars. I really want to see a stronger American auto market.

Last edited by oshia86; 01-05-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

im going to play NES, thanks thread for the idea!!!

oh and yea the wheels suck
Old 01-06-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i personally wish they would cost more and didnt have a v6 option, because nothing pisses me off more that an idoit with a nice car putting some dirt cheap 22+"bling bling wheels. If they made them all cost 40k or more atleast they would all be "real" camaro's with v8s.... Ive already seen several strippd challengers with 24's around, ridiculous /rant

I think the wheels are ok about the same as the 4th gens, not the best but liveable
Old 01-07-2009, 05:56 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
If I'm shopping specifically for a Camaro then obviously I would be buying only a Camaro.
If I was shopping for a performance car in the $30,000 price bracket, then yes I would be cross shopping the EVO, STi, G37, 370Z, Mustang models, Challenger models, G8, BMW 1 series, etc. etc.
Honestly think about it, if for around the same price you could buy a car that not only performs better but is built better as well why wouldn't you go for it?

Ok. You can get a 300hp Camaro for $22,000, thats pretty cheap for the performance it will offer especially paired with the quality. Unfortunately GM (like most other companies) cannot just hope that the Chevy faithful will buy the Camaro, because there is not enough of them out there for it to sell like it needs to. They need to attract as many markets as they can. The Mustang sells like it does because of the V6 model, which many young and dumb people love because of its name and styling. Now the new one has upped the ante in quality and fit and finish, so to compete the Camaro must as well.

This isn't the 60s anymore and GM needs to target the younger crowd (so when they are older they will continue to buy GMs). That means they need to compete with all the performance cars in its price range, which means the car needs to turn, brake, and ride decent. If the new Camaro had a solid rear axle, tiny, easy to warp brakes, low quality inside and out very very few (myself included) wouldn't even bother to look at the car. You need to get it into your head this isn't the 60s anymore, and the world is not one flat, strait line. If all you care about is strait line speed for cheap go buy a fox body and put an LS1 in it. If you want a high quality muscle car that can compete with the rest of its class(in more than just a strait line) you can look at a new Camaro SS.

Look, this is getting way to spanned out and Im not gonna get into a bulletpoint discussion towards a million different things. I think you see a larger group of people that will buy a wide variety of cars weather they be foriegn or american, or Chevy or Ford. I simply disagree with that. I think the idea of GM and BMW in competition for one buyer is quite minimal and most buyers are dedicated to a limited number of products and that the 5th gen Camaro is much more in competition with the 4th gen Camaro then it is with the WRX STi.

My hope is that they offer a 5.3L V8 camaro that could be sold for around $25K.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its a trip how people expect a car that develops into a much better all around vehicle over 8 years to still cost the same (or less!)

even ignoring the upgrades (Brembo's anyone?) and counting for inflation alone, the Camaro is still a good buy. I don't feel at all the average salary has been stagnant for 35 years...when I was working at Hardees 15 years ago I was making under $4/hour...now you can walk into any McDonalds and make $7/hr for the same job. That's almost double the salary, and that's a BS job. I can imagine the salary increase for line workers, etc, especially with all the fuss brought about recently by the various unions.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magius231
I think its a trip how people expect a car that develops into a much better all around vehicle over 8 years to still cost the same (or less!)

even ignoring the upgrades (Brembo's anyone?) and counting for inflation alone, the Camaro is still a good buy. I don't feel at all the average salary has been stagnant for 35 years...when I was working at Hardees 15 years ago I was making under $4/hour...now you can walk into any McDonalds and make $7/hr for the same job. That's almost double the salary, and that's a BS job. I can imagine the salary increase for line workers, etc, especially with all the fuss brought about recently by the various unions.
You have made a classic blunder in your logic here (like starting a land war in Asia). <-----Using my best Sicillian voice. You are assuming that it still costs the same to make things today except for inflation. New technology makes it easier and cheaper to make things. Remember the first DVD players, they were over a 1000 dollars. Now you can get a cheap one for 30 bucks or a good one for a 150. By your logic, a DVD player should be thousands of dollars. It now takes less man hours of labor to make a car, so even if wages have gone up, labor costs might even be less or stay around the same. There is also an economy of scale which means that if many of the same things are made, their cost goes down. For example the parts in the drive train on the new camaro are shared with other vehicles, which makes them more common and thus cheaper. I could go on, but I think the point is made.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:53 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by magius231

Well its a good thought to base working class Americans wages on Hardees and Mcdonalds but the fact is that working people in this country arent being allowed to keep up with the times. Corporate profit among businesses averages 40% higher in the last 10 years, CEO pay is now 369times worker pay while productivity was higher in this country and yet more people are in poverty, more people are without health insurance, college loan costs are higher, and unemployment is at an all time high with more on welfare.

I dont see the new Camaro as having an easy road ahead if they cost 35K cause I see a great number of people buying them brand new and are gonna lose a lot of money on them when they go to sell them and it becomes a used car market and sales may get hit harder after 2 years.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wannabess00
Well its a good thought to base working class Americans wages on Hardees and Mcdonalds but the fact is that working people in this country arent being allowed to keep up with the times. Corporate profit among businesses averages 40% higher in the last 10 years, CEO pay is now 369times worker pay while productivity was higher in this country and yet more people are in poverty, more people are without health insurance, college loan costs are higher, and unemployment is at an all time high with more on welfare.

I dont see the new Camaro as having an easy road ahead if they cost 35K cause I see a great number of people buying them brand new and are gonna lose a lot of money on them when they go to sell them and it becomes a used car market and sales may get hit harder after 2 years.
I am hating to tell you that unemployment is not at an all time high (10% or more in '82 and '83), but I will agree that it is a lot higher than it's been the last few years. In this market I it's going to be tough to sell a 35k car that can't carry a bunch of people or stuff.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 PM
FormerVendor

Hmm...this goes for 99% of vehicle. They aren't an investment.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Btw the wheels aren't that bad. Alot better than my z28's. The new camaro is a good deal, at the base price and as a SS option. If I had the money I would buy one right away.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:44 AM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by enginjoe
I am hating to tell you that unemployment is not at an all time high (10% or more in '82 and '83), but I will agree that it is a lot higher than it's been the last few years. In this market I it's going to be tough to sell a 35k car that can't carry a bunch of people or stuff.
Forgive the carelessness of "all-time" I knew that wasnt the highest recorded. My bad
Old 01-14-2009, 08:45 AM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by 187fl
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Btw the wheels aren't that bad. Alot better than my z28's. The new camaro is a good deal, at the base price and as a SS option. If I had the money I would buy one right away.
hmmmm.... Ill just let you alone with your matchbox cars and billy madison DVD..ok there lil guy??
Old 01-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=wannabess00;10845216]hmmmm.... Ill just let you alone with your matchbox cars and billy madison DVD..ok there lil guy??[/QUOTE

Did I hit a nerve? It was only a joke. Your the lil one, crying over a couple grand. A camaro ss is alot cheaper than a srt8 challanger but people are istill buying them. On top of that the camaro is just as powerful and a little lighter. If anything you would think this guy is mustang fan nitpicking at everything the new camaro has to offer.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:28 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

[QUOTE=187fl;10847853]
hmmmm.... Ill just let you alone with your matchbox cars and billy madison DVD..ok there lil guy??[/QUOTE

Did I hit a nerve? It was only a joke. Your the lil one, crying over a couple grand. A camaro ss is alot cheaper than a srt8 challanger but people are istill buying them. On top of that the camaro is just as powerful and a little lighter. If anything you would think this guy is mustang fan nitpicking at everything the new camaro has to offer.
yeah well thats the trouble with internet conversation. Humor is tough to understand without cute smiley faces and myspace lingo!!

Im very pleased with the pricing of a base V6 Camaro but Camaros are for performance car lovers and the V6 market belongs to the cute mustang lovers. I dont see why the camaro SS should be price compared to an SRT8. To me it should stay comparable to a Challenger R/T and a Mustang GT.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

The R/T Challanger starts at $30,545,the Camaro starts at $30,995 and the 2010 mustang starts at $27,995, yeah the mustang is going to be cheaper than the camaro and the challenger but the camaro istill has more horsepower than both of them and is a better all around car with better brakes,six speed transmission compared to mustangs five speed and better suspension than both of them. The difference in price gets you a better car all around in my opinion.

http://www.dodge.com/hostc/bmo/models.do

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/pdf/...camaro+Order.pdf

http://mustangforums.com/articles/20...ng-prices.html

Quick Reply: Wheels for the 5th gen suck!