Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Wheels for the 5th gen suck!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:17 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I wasn't implying any UAW "labor argument crap," just a simple progression of wage inflation. It is common knowledge (at least I thought it was) that pretty much every profession is making more money than they were more than 8 years ago. That being true, why is it so far fetched to see that the costs of everything have gone up? Does anyone remember when a candy bar could be had for $0.33 and a coke machine would grant you a Coke for just two quarters? I still hear stories from my parents about going to the movies for a quarter. Costs have gone up on everything, as people demand more money to do their jobs. (You can also point at the decreased buying power of the almighty dollar.)

And if you are really trying to compare a Monte Carlo SS from 2007's model year to the new Camaro, you are really missing the boat.

Ok you werent implying a labor arguement. I can assure you currency rates dont over-flate or deflate darasticly on accident, carelessly maybe. And a 7 year gap shouldnt see costs rise so that it would cost $5K more to produce a car. Thats a decision the company makes on how it chooses to market the car. Wages in this country have remained generaly stagnet for just over 35 years now and average wages havent kept up with costs in this country by a long shot. Not in a country that stubbornly refuses to adjust to the world that is becoming globally competitive. And yes Im comparing a V8 5.3L 303HP intermediate perfomance car to what should have been a 5.3L V8 Camaro. The same as Id compare a chevelle to a camaro in the late 60s. I think selling a base V8 camaro with 6.2 litre was the dumbest move they made. A 5.3 should have been the Z28 model and 6.2 the SS model.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wannabess00
Ok you werent implying a labor arguement. I can assure you currency rates dont over-flate or deflate darasticly on accident, carelessly maybe. And a 7 year gap shouldnt see costs rise so that it would cost $5K more to produce a car. Thats a decision the company makes on how it chooses to market the car. Wages in this country have remained generaly stagnet for just over 35 years now and average wages havent kept up with costs in this country by a long shot. Not in a country that stubbornly refuses to adjust to the world that is becoming globally competitive. And yes Im comparing a V8 5.3L 303HP intermediate perfomance car to what should have been a 5.3L V8 Camaro. The same as Id compare a chevelle to a camaro in the late 60s. I think selling a base V8 camaro with 6.2 litre was the dumbest move they made. A 5.3 should have been the Z28 model and 6.2 the SS model.
Apples to oranges. You are comparing the cost of the 4th Gen to the 5th Gen, when the only thing they have in common is the name "Camaro." The platform is different, the body is different, different wheels, different engine, different trans, IRS vs. SRA, etc.

You know, back when I was a kid, the NES was a big deal. Everyone was picking them up at $100 a pop, and the video gaming market took off. Today, Nintendo's latest system is selling for $250, yet they still fly off the shelves. Is anyone bitching that it should cost less, or should have come with weaker technology in it to keep it on par with costs 10+ years ago?
Old 01-03-2009, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Can we get back to talking about the wheels?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Can we get back to talking about the wheels?
The wheels suck. I want 275/40 or 315/35R17s, not 29 inch tall wagon wheels that look like Chip Foose screwed up my ride! There!
Old 01-03-2009, 06:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by enginjoe
The wheels suck. I want 275/40 or 315/35R17s, not 29 inch tall wagon wheels that look like Chip Foose screwed up my ride! There!
Put them on yourself, that is if you can fit them over the brakes/rotors.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:41 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Apples to oranges. You are comparing the cost of the 4th Gen to the 5th Gen, when the only thing they have in common is the name "Camaro." The platform is different, the body is different, different wheels, different engine, different trans, IRS vs. SRA, etc.

You know, back when I was a kid, the NES was a big deal. Everyone was picking them up at $100 a pop, and the video gaming market took off. Today, Nintendo's latest system is selling for $250, yet they still fly off the shelves. Is anyone bitching that it should cost less, or should have come with weaker technology in it to keep it on par with costs 10+ years ago?
Youre refering to the Nintendo Wii that out sells PS3s and XBox360s that are $150 more expensive. I think you just proved my point towards a lower cost item having more success.

I agree 100% with the differences between a 4th gen and 5th gen part. And I respectfully disagree with what they made to sell to the public. I think they are once again making a car that few liked with in Chevy. Even the Scott Settlemire couldnt help but to note that the 5th gen was not all that he wanted it to be. The Camaro design team was constantly at odds with a stubborn GM management. I just want one that has basic options and I can get below $30K and if they cant deliver it its because they chose not to.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least I was talking about the wheels.

The wheel wells are too big for 26" tall tires. Design flaw if you ask me...
Old 01-03-2009, 06:45 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Screw that I started this thread and no one was talkin wheels so its what ever anybody wants to talk about.

LS7 wheels for me or the Dale Jrs
Old 01-03-2009, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I can't wait to see what wheels Tony puts on his. I know when I get one i'll put a set of deep dish polised wheels on it.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You see, its not that I wouldnt buy one because I didnt like the price, its that I couldnt because of the price should it be over 28K for a base V8.
You seriously cannot spend $2,000 more when you can afford a $28,000 car?

Honestly, I just priced out a brand new UAW built 2007 Monte Carlo SS 1 1/2 years ago for $26,195. I assure you if they really put their minds to it to build a low cost V8 Camaro they could do it with little trouble.
You can have a 300hp V6 model for under $23,000 if all you care about is numbers. I'm not sure if you have realized this or not, but the Monte Carlo is built on an outdated platform (which is shared by 4 other cars) and produced at a much higher quantity than the Camaro will be, while using an outdated transmission, and parts bin everything.
The Camaro on the other hand is riding on a brand new chassis developed around the world on various race tracks, has two great new transmissions, a much better built quality, and much better quality brakes and suspension.
And you are complaining about a $4,000 difference in price for a car that's light years ahead in almost every conceivable way. Even the V6 Camaro will outperform the Monte Carlo SS in everything, while being cheaper and built way better.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:39 AM
FormerVendor

I will throw CCWs on eventually.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Youre refering to the Nintendo Wii that out sells PS3s and XBox360s that are $150 more expensive. I think you just proved my point towards a lower cost item having more success.

I agree 100% with the differences between a 4th gen and 5th gen part. And I respectfully disagree with what they made to sell to the public. I think they are once again making a car that few liked with in Chevy. Even the Scott Settlemire couldnt help but to note that the 5th gen was not all that he wanted it to be. The Camaro design team was constantly at odds with a stubborn GM management. I just want one that has basic options and I can get below $30K and if they cant deliver it its because they chose not to.
The price difference is more like $50, and the reason they sell so much better is their niche. My point is the Wii vs. the original NES - progression in technology over a period of time causes an increase in price.

As you just aren't seeing my point, I'm pulling out of this thread before we degenerate into name-calling. If the car costs too much for you, either don't buy it, or pick one up in a couple years when they are used. No matter what the base price was, they weren't going to get it in everyone's budget.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

someone would bitch and say they look like another cars wheels no matter what they put on it.

I think they're fine. I'll keep the stock RS wheels.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:59 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

The price difference is more like $50, and the reason they sell so much better is their niche. My point is the Wii vs. the original NES - progression in technology over a period of time causes an increase in price.

As you just aren't seeing my point, I'm pulling out of this thread before we degenerate into name-calling. If the car costs too much for you, either don't buy it, or pick one up in a couple years when they are used. No matter what the base price was, they weren't going to get it in everyone's budget.
I understand your point and my point is that they never even tried to fit the car into a broad price range. GM has been getting their *** handed to them because they continue to make cars strictly for the few that have a money and that will dry up quickly.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:08 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You seriously cannot spend $2,000 more when you can afford a $28,000 car?

You can have a 300hp V6 model for under $23,000 if all you care about is numbers. I'm not sure if you have realized this or not, but the Monte Carlo is built on an outdated platform (which is shared by 4 other cars) and produced at a much higher quantity than the Camaro will be, while using an outdated transmission, and parts bin everything.
The Camaro on the other hand is riding on a brand new chassis developed around the world on various race tracks, has two great new transmissions, a much better built quality, and much better quality brakes and suspension.
And you are complaining about a $4,000 difference in price for a car that's light years ahead in almost every conceivable way. Even the V6 Camaro will outperform the Monte Carlo SS in everything, while being cheaper and built way better.
What youre describing is what should be the making of a Corvette not a camaro. Like I said, they can make a fairly priced camaro. On the bright side they'll just sell them to the sucker for $35K he'll lose his *** on it and it'll only be worth about $20K after a year or two same as the other cars.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

What youre describing is what should be the making of a Corvette not a camaro.
How so? Please explain, and keep in mind what other cars the Camaro is competing with (not just the Mustang and the Challenger, but the 370Z, EVO, STi, G37 coupe, etc)

Like I said, they can make a fairly priced camaro. On the bright side they'll just sell them to the sucker for $35K he'll lose his *** on it and it'll only be worth about $20K after a year or two same as the other cars.
Your way of thinking is why GM is in so much trouble, and why the last Camaro didn't sell so well. "Just make it cheap, who cares?"
GM needs to make some some quality cars if they want to stay alive. This means they need to stop cutting corners and start competing with more than just the Mustang.
You're the kind of person who would still be complaining if the Camaro was priced at $28,000 that it should be $25,000.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:53 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

How so? Please explain, and keep in mind what other cars the Camaro is competing with (not just the Mustang and the Challenger, but the 370Z, EVO, STi, G37 coupe, etc).
Well let me ask you a question, If youre car shopping for a Camaro are you going to go look at an EVO or STi as well to possibly buy? I think while those are two competing markets I think each company has their own loyal buyers that arent looking far beyond what theyre loyal to. Corvette has always been Chevys pride and joy and I think should get the best of everything (brakes, suspension, performance). Muscle cars were originaly targeted at younger buyers and were made to be low cost models. Dealerships hated them because of that but they sold a lot of them.

Your way of thinking is why GM is in so much trouble, and why the last Camaro didn't sell so well. "Just make it cheap, who cares?"
GM needs to make some some quality cars if they want to stay alive. This means they need to stop cutting corners and start competing with more than just the Mustang.
You're the kind of person who would still be complaining if the Camaro was priced at $28,000 that it should be $25,000.

First off, you dont know what kind of person I am so lets not get personal. Secondly, Over doing cars is whats going to hurt them in the Camaro market. Camaro is a nice car but the high tech stuff should be under the hood.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:06 PM
FormerVendor

Well let me ask you a question, If youre car shopping for a Camaro are you going to go look at an EVO or STi as well to possibly buy? I think while those are two competing markets I think each company has their own loyal buyers that arent looking far beyond what theyre loyal to. Corvette has always been Chevys pride and joy and I think should get the best of everything (brakes, suspension, performance). Muscle cars were originaly targeted at younger buyers and were made to be low cost models. Dealerships hated them because of that but they sold a lot of them.

First off, you dont know what kind of person I am so lets not get personal. Secondly, Over doing cars is whats going to hurt them in the Camaro market. Camaro is a nice car but the high tech stuff should be under the hood.
Go away, you have nothing to add to this thread.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I want a NES
Old 01-04-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well let me ask you a question, If youre car shopping for a Camaro are you going to go look at an EVO or STi as well to possibly buy?
If I'm shopping specifically for a Camaro then obviously I would be buying only a Camaro.
If I was shopping for a performance car in the $30,000 price bracket, then yes I would be cross shopping the EVO, STi, G37, 370Z, Mustang models, Challenger models, G8, BMW 1 series, etc. etc.
Honestly think about it, if for around the same price you could buy a car that not only performs better but is built better as well why wouldn't you go for it?

I think while those are two competing markets I think each company has their own loyal buyers that arent looking far beyond what theyre loyal to. Corvette has always been Chevys pride and joy and I think should get the best of everything (brakes, suspension, performance). Muscle cars were originaly targeted at younger buyers and were made to be low cost models. Dealerships hated them because of that but they sold a lot of them.
Ok. You can get a 300hp Camaro for $22,000, thats pretty cheap for the performance it will offer especially paired with the quality. Unfortunately GM (like most other companies) cannot just hope that the Chevy faithful will buy the Camaro, because there is not enough of them out there for it to sell like it needs to. They need to attract as many markets as they can. The Mustang sells like it does because of the V6 model, which many young and dumb people love because of its name and styling. Now the new one has upped the ante in quality and fit and finish, so to compete the Camaro must as well.

This isn't the 60s anymore and GM needs to target the younger crowd (so when they are older they will continue to buy GMs). That means they need to compete with all the performance cars in its price range, which means the car needs to turn, brake, and ride decent. If the new Camaro had a solid rear axle, tiny, easy to warp brakes, low quality inside and out very very few (myself included) wouldn't even bother to look at the car. You need to get it into your head this isn't the 60s anymore, and the world is not one flat, strait line. If all you care about is strait line speed for cheap go buy a fox body and put an LS1 in it. If you want a high quality muscle car that can compete with the rest of its class(in more than just a strait line) you can look at a new Camaro SS.

Quick Reply: Wheels for the 5th gen suck!