Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Can the new Camaro save GM ?
Yes
16.34%
No
83.66%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Can the new camaro save GM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the question should be "Will the Volt help save GM"? Not at $40,000 & 40 miles on a charge..what a joke
Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by EnfuegoZ28
The Camaro alone will not save GM. GM needs a turn around in the economy and needs people to start spending more money. GM also needs banks to lend more money. It doesn't matter how much GM spends on payroll or how many unions and top executives they are paying, our economy has to turn around to save GM.
theyve gotten plenty billions of dollars already and guess what happends? its gone, and their asking for more. Thanks, but no thanks. Time for them to declair bankruptcy. Guess who gets to pay back this debt, ******* tax payers.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they can thank all the dealers who dont want to deal on there cars and want to hold on to them for top dollar
Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

GM will be lucky if that thing stays in production for as long as the GTO did..
Between that and the Volt it will be one of the final nails in their coffin that does them in..

A quick sales lesson Retro looking cars = Fail like the Prowler, SSR, Retro Mustang which even forced Ford to redeco it faster than previous models..
the only exception was the crappy PT Cruiser and I have no clue why the hell anybody would buy it..
Old 03-10-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The real question is will the Camaro make enough profit that congress won't mandate they scrap the car to make room for more gas sipping enviro friendly POS cars.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

No the Camaro alone will not save GM (though it can help) but that's not to say that GM can't still be saved for it can be.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:10 AM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by NJ 2002 Z28
A quick sales lesson Retro looking cars = Fail like the Prowler, SSR, Retro Mustang which even forced Ford to redeco it faster than previous models.
The retro (2005-2009) Mustang was a failure?
Hmm, that's news to me, I consider the car a runaway hit!
It's only being redesigned (though certainly not drastically so) because 1) it's now 5 model years old and 2) it's competiton (ie: the Challenger and the Camaro) is coming out swinging.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:14 AM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
Guess who gets to pay back this debt, ******* tax payers.
True, and that sucks.
Now you want to take a guess at who also pays for all the vast amounts of unemployment compensation/dollars for the hundreds of thousands of workers that will inevitably become displaced/unemployed as a direct (and indirect) result of a bankruptcy filing?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ Or the estimated 100+ billion to go through Chapter 11, GM doesn't have the money to file Chapter 11, who does........gov't. Either way you look at it the tax payers dishout, I hate when people continue to say that same old line.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will the Camaro save GM? NO. What will? Bankruptcy and Obama and company stop throwing out money and raising inflation, and need to look at recent research on Global Warming and see that it is false. Then they can loosen the belt on CAFE regulations.

GM needs to file chp. 11, restructure their leaders (get rid of the ones with no spine to negotiate with the UAW), and renegotiate contract with UAW (or hey, don't even bring the, back in). You CAN'T compete with competitors that have HALF the labor costs you do.....you can't.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

No, the Camaro alone will not dig GM out of their economic hole.

I think that a MASSIVE tax on imported name brand cars should be instituted. It would drive up the price of these import gas savers and make more people here buy American fuel efficient cars. It would also help us in the money dept. from gaining revenue off the higher import taxes. I honestly cannot see why anyone would buy a foreign car, I have always bought American and always will, I just like our country to much to buy some Jap crap.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Between that and the Volt it will be one of the final nails in their coffin that does them in..

A quick sales lesson Retro looking cars = Fail like the Prowler, SSR, Retro Mustang which even forced Ford to redeco it faster than previous models..
the only exception was the crappy PT Cruiser and I have no clue why the hell anybody would buy it..
PT Cruiser is now discontinued as well.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Before the first 2004 GTO was brought to the states GTO's was already scheduled for end of life in 2006 based on the manaro life cycle.

Back to the ford topic?

SN-95 round style 94-98 5 year run
SN-95 "new edge" 99-04 5 year run
2005-2009 5 year run?

Where are you getting this information on the mustang and redesign? Just because it didn't run from 1987-1993 (8 year) on the same design? 8 years is unheard of for a vehicle run.

Ryan
Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

This is a very silly post.. How could one car which only holds a very small corner of the automotive landscape save a company that had to borrow Billions?? GM is still the worlds biggest corporation if it wasn't surpassed and should of handled their money better over these 100 years. For the love of god Rick Wagoner should of been one of the 1st people in the unemployment line. I'm sure if GM makes it thru this the Corvette will probably be the only performance car because i don't know if the Camaro will produce the kind of sales GM needs.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no it wont! I heard they are not even producing the Z28 model! WTF?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone who thinks GM can file Chapter 11 and come out stronger is insane. It has been proven again and again the people won't buy a product from a bankrupt company for fear that the product won't be supported if they collapse. The re-structuring needs to be kicked into high gear, banks need to start loaning, the media needs to stop broadcasting nothing but doom and gloom and people with money need to start spending it. Everyone who's holding onto their money in fear of an economic collapse are adding to the problem. I have heard dozens of people say "I was going to buy a new car, but I don't know with this economy. I'll just it save just in case". Well by not spending the money and infusing the economy they are making it worse for themselves. The media has everyone scarred to spend and that's making things worse. We need to all support America right now. I'm buying a new Camaro because I can financially and I hope it stimulates the economy.

Can the Camaro save GM? By it self, NO WAY. But it has received a lot of attention from the public and may be a great halo car for GM right now. I think it will get people into the showrooms that have no intention to buy one and that gives GM the opportunity to showcase quality and design of other models. A father of 2 may stop in to take a look at the Camaro and see how a Malibu is nicer than his Accord and buy one, and that may save GM.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

By itself no way. Too many factors that GM can & should change and TOO many factors that they can't control or change. GM needs million of dollars a month to stay a float right now and the economy isn't helping.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dark SS
Anyone who thinks GM can file Chapter 11 and come out stronger is insane. It has been proven again and again the people won't buy a product from a bankrupt company for fear that the product won't be supported if they collapse. The re-structuring needs to be kicked into high gear, banks need to start loaning, the media needs to stop broadcasting nothing but doom and gloom and people with money need to start spending it. Everyone who's holding onto their money in fear of an economic collapse are adding to the problem. I have heard dozens of people say "I was going to buy a new car, but I don't know with this economy. I'll just it save just in case". Well by not spending the money and infusing the economy they are making it worse for themselves. The media has everyone scarred to spend and that's making things worse. We need to all support America right now. I'm buying a new Camaro because I can financially and I hope it stimulates the economy.

Can the Camaro save GM? By it self, NO WAY. But it has received a lot of attention from the public and may be a great halo car for GM right now. I think it will get people into the showrooms that have no intention to buy one and that gives GM the opportunity to showcase quality and design of other models. A father of 2 may stop in to take a look at the Camaro and see how a Malibu is nicer than his Accord and buy one, and that may save GM.

But they need to build the Malibu to be nicer than the accord first

Ryan
Old 03-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

I did some digging and found these numbers
2005 Mustang 160,412
2006 Mustang 165,762
2007 Mustang 158,180

Wow the Camaro didnt see those numbers since the 3rd gen days except I think 1995 they went 100,00+
I know Gm was busy making Chevy and Pontiac F-bodys but if you
doubled the Camaro numbers in the 4th gen years they still wouldnt have been that many..
Old 03-11-2009, 05:28 PM

the whole thing frustrates me this country is full of americans who are just unamerican.BUY AMERICAN!! flamin liberals

Quick Reply: Can the new camaro save GM?