Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Can the new Camaro save GM ?
Yes
16.34%
No
83.66%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Can the new camaro save GM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BtownblkSS
the whole thing frustrates me this country is full of americans who are just unamerican.BUY AMERICAN!! flamin liberals
I dont see it as being un American by not purchasing something from a U.S. company that isnt even made here..

But I think the problem with most of this country is people want stuff and they want it cheap just so they can go buy more ****..

Last edited by NJ 2002 Z28; 03-11-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

We, the car enthusiasts, are the minority. The majority of people buying cars are not concerned with looks, or who sold/built it. They want utility, economy, to be able to drive the **** out of it, and they don't want to have to open the hood.
GM, Ford, and Chrysler all need to seriously look at Toyota, and a few other imports, and start copying them. Copy their cars, business/employment practices, manufacturing processes, and marketing. GM's age and ability to be globally competitive is about the only thing keeping them alive. They still build too many cars, too many makes/models, too many options, and too goddamn expensive... and that goes for the new Camaro... too many options... too expensive (some of the same **** that killed them in '02).
The U.S. performance car market is going to stagnate in the next few years, as the U.S. car makers re-prioritize and fully focus on their political agendas. The new Camaro (and Challenger) will be lucky if they last more than two (or three) production/model years. The Mustang has just enough lineage to potentially remain as a base model for the public and the Shelbys, Saleens, and other special model 'builders'.
The new retro Camaro is an excellent attempt at a popular, desireable model, with nice features and decent technology. However, its two year delay and current production status can't be any worse of an example of simply bad timing. We will hopefully know in a few months if it makes a bold enough statement for GM to value it as a 'regular' production model, and can literally bank on its future. It is definitely NO SAVIOR...,
the question is "can IT be SAVED?".
Old 03-11-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If people knew more about the Camaro and GM had a marketing team like Ford, it would create a LOT of enthusiasm. I'm kind of embarrased to say it but when the new style Mustang came out and they had that commercial of it doing burnouts and doughnuts in a parking lot and the guys dad says "Now that's a muscle car!", I got chills. GM has the Transformers movie that came out years ago. Most of my friends who don't really follow the Bowtie don't have any clue about when the Camaro comes out, it's powerplant, or even what it really looks like. Outside of the car forums and occasional car show on Speed there's just not much publicity.

Whether that enthusiasm would turn to GM $$ would be a different story.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

we need to tax the hell out of these foriegn japan cars!!!!! they are taking over our dam country!!!!!!!! make them suffer ever harder than we are!!!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 12:52 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 01MMMZ28
I think that a MASSIVE tax on imported name brand cars should be instituted. It would drive up the price of these import gas savers and make more people here buy American fuel efficient cars. It would also help us in the money dept. from gaining revenue off the higher import taxes. I honestly cannot see why anyone would buy a foreign car, I have always bought American and always will, I just like our country to much to buy some Jap crap.
x 100!
It worked for Harley Davidson in the '80s, it can work for GM/Ford/Chrysler today.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

problem is a lot of those jap cars are built in usa factories now... although we all know the money goes back to japan...
Old 03-12-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Taxing would be a mistake, a trade war with Japan would suck *****. People just need to wisen up, and this depression is a wake up call. All of these people bitch about the economy but aren't willing to buy domestic because they believe the stereotype that "American cars are unreliable, gas gussling, and have trashy interiors".

But hey imagine that, stupid ignorant people buying into a false stereotype. What are the odds
Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 AM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

Unless a lot of us are paying a ton down or buying it outright. Alot of people are going to have issues getting even loans to buy them. Even with good credit banks dont want to loan out money for jack. Unless the loans come from GMAC and they approve damn near everyone thats about the only way to make a decent amount of money.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

Originally Posted by ls1adamls1
we need to tax the hell out of these foriegn japan cars!!!!! they are taking over our dam country!!!!!!!! make them suffer ever harder than we are!!!!!

agreed!!!!

Gm does need to put out some bad as ads and get more times and true numbers out there to all of us..
Old 03-12-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

My agreement with the Harley Comments are this....

STICK TO WHAT YOU ARE GOOD AT!

Let Toyota make their Camry and let GM build an Impala - an Impala, like the 300C, that is reardrive and American oriented.

Why should American companies chase the Japanese in Automanufacturing? I have yet to see a Harley that is not instantly recognizable as precisely that... a HARLEY!

GM should go back to their roots, reduce the number of models (How many cars on the same platform do we really need?) and focus on building great cars that are reliable and AMERICAN!

What I wouldn't give to be able to purchase a new Bel-Air, or Nova (for the compact class), or Chevelle. I hope it's not too little too late!
Old 03-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

as "bad" as todays economy is , only the rich fudgers can afford an over priced car.

if the ss/rs fully loaded one goes for about 30k then it may save, it.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slow
But they need to build the Malibu to be nicer than the accord first

Ryan
I think it's at least as nice if not nicer. The old stigma that American cars are junk is blown way out of proportion by the auto media.

We might not need to tax the jap companies, but for god sake we need to stop giving them tax breaks. They are already suplimented by their government and on top of that the American governement gives them a tax break to build their cars here. Maybe if the governemnt stopped that and gave our domestic auto makers tax breaks we wouldn't have a canadian built Camaro.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Problem is that many American cars are ALREADY rating higher and doing better in many aspects than their Asian counterparts.........but 20 some-odd years of substandard American builds have left much of the buying public with the stigma that American cars cannot and will not ever be better than what Toyota or Nissan or Honda can offer. And of course, it's flat out not true. They are just too stubborn to give any of the Big 3 a chance again. My brother was Mr. Toyota for most of his life.....owned I don't know how many of them. Then when the C6 Vettes came out, he went take a look at one (just on a whim).......drove it.........and BOUGHT it.

Rest assured, the ppl who are still touting from the rooftops about American cars being junk probably haven't been behind the wheel of one or ridden in one since the 80's or early 90's. To speak as they do is to speak out of ignorance. For example, they'll make a dozen allowances for cheap materials inside of a Nissan or Honda, saying it's "frugal".....or "understated". Let them see the exact same material inside a GM or Ford.....and its just "tacky" and "godawful cheap". I don't even bother arguing with idiots like that anymore.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No it can't save GM and you're dreaming if you think it can. I say its going run the same course as the newer GTO. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Nothing is going to save GM or any other car builder. The fact that they charge way way too much for what a car cost to build, only so the CEO's can fly around in multiple company leerjets. I say screw em and let em sink. Ive got my car and its paid for.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

But they need to build the Malibu to be nicer than the accord first

Ryan
ummm... it already is Motortrend even says so.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

GM dug their own grave, One car will not even make a dent in their crisis that they are in.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dark SS
Anyone who thinks GM can file Chapter 11 and come out stronger is insane. It has been proven again and again the people won't buy a product from a bankrupt company for fear that the product won't be supported if they collapse. The re-structuring needs to be kicked into high gear, banks need to start loaning, the media needs to stop broadcasting nothing but doom and gloom and people with money need to start spending it.
Another problem with Chapter 11, that people don't realize, is that GM most likely won't be able to get rid of the leech called the UAW, as GM would be sent to a pro-union bankruptcy court.

A huge problem is the government dumping hordes of money at the banks, but only gives GM a much smaller loan, im comparrison? GM & Chrysler asked for $30B, and got what? like $17B or so. GM just poured another $65B into AIG, no questions asked.

Did anyone else read this about AIG? http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090315/...ge/aig_bonuses

I mean I know they have contracts and what not, but don't tell me the government couldn't give the banks a "Car Czar" like they are with the automakers. And bonuses paid with taxpayer money? The government couldn't monitor the expenses?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Back to the ford topic?

SN-95 round style 94-98 5 year run
SN-95 "new edge" 99-04 5 year run
2005-2009 5 year run?

Where are you getting this information on the mustang and redesign? Just because it didn't run from 1987-1993 (8 year) on the same design? 8 years is unheard of for a vehicle run.
How did you not hear the Mustang is getting a redesign for 2010. The new models are going to go the showrooms this month I believe actually
Old 03-15-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

YOU CANT FIX STUPID nuff said

Quick Reply: Can the new camaro save GM?