Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Can't decide; Challenger or Camaro?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like both the SRT-8 and the SS and if the price were the same it would be a tough decision but seeing as how the SRT-8 is more money than the SS and that the cheaper R/T delivers no where near the same performance as the SS then I'd have to go with the Camaro SS, best value of the bunch for sure.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chaman
Performance between them is worlds of difference apart.
not based on track numbers. Cant get those things to hook.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

definately wait for the camaro.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Alright, I decided I'll try and do a black/black SRT8 first, then a Camaro SS second. I'm not going to consider the R/T or the 370Z anymore.

Thanks for the help narrowing it down!
Old 03-18-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TWS
I think both cars are fat pigs. They both weigh entirely too much. However, if I was handed $40K and was told I had to spend it on a car... one of them might be sitting in my garage.
Fat pigs? Kinda harsh words. Approaching 4,000 lbs is definitely porky but I don't think 3800 is "fat pig" territory. How much does a Mustang GT weigh in at? Oh wait, doesn't have IRS. How about a GT500? About the same as a new Camaro. How about the new Nissan 370Z? No lightweight either and the backseat is completely unuseable. The backseat in a Camaro can hold adults for a short ride and the Challenger is damn close to being roomy in the back.

Buy a Solstice and stick a V8 in it if all you want is a lightweight screamer.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shudog
Fat pigs? Kinda harsh words. Approaching 4,000 lbs is definitely porky but I don't think 3800 is "fat pig" territory. How much does a Mustang GT weigh in at? Oh wait, doesn't have IRS. How about a GT500? About the same as a new Camaro. How about the new Nissan 370Z? No lightweight either and the backseat is completely unuseable. The backseat in a Camaro can hold adults for a short ride and the Challenger is damn close to being roomy in the back.

Buy a Solstice and stick a V8 in it if all you want is a lightweight screamer.
370 has no backseats, your thinking of the G37.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by demarco313
not based on track numbers. Cant get those things to hook.
Based on track numbers too.

BTW...have you seen a Jeep SRT8 hook as you say?

Silly discussion really. It has been established EVRYWHERE that the SRT* is superior in EVERY way, try a little search...similar weight...SRT8 425HP...RT 350HP....If you got the money getting a RT is retarded...if you DONT,... then you can SETTLE for a RT.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 92GTA
Alright, I decided I'll try and do a black/black SRT8 first, then a Camaro SS second. I'm not going to consider the R/T or the 370Z anymore.

Smart man!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 92GTA

Once you get sick of seeing tail lights your gonna wish you bought the Camaro first.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by fspeedster
Once you get sick of seeing tail lights your gonna wish you bought the Camaro first.
Really? Why? Once he gets sick he could mod it...why the senseless hate? Besides the SRT8 looks way better then the Camaro.

Check this little beast here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt1NL...rom=PL&index=6

and this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Rvv...eature=related
Old 03-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Really? Why? Once he gets sick he could mod it...why the senseless hate? Besides the SRT8 looks way better then the Camaro.

Check this little beast here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt1NL...rom=PL&index=6

and this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Rvv...eature=related
In my opinion those are some ugly *** cars, and we're speaking of stock cars here. Mod for mod the camaro will be faster no doubt.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

In my opinion those are some ugly *** cars, and we're speaking of stock cars here. Mod for mod the camaro will be faster no doubt.
No doubt you dont have a clue....Mod for mod...excuse what mods are we talking? Once you start modding is everybody's game, that's retarded.

BTW, what you own? What are you hands on experience with SRT8s?? I thought so...Just reapeating what you read around...educate yourself.

Fanboys...
Old 03-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Teching In

1 word. CAMARO
Old 03-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Launching!

No doubt you dont have a clue....Mod for mod...excuse what mods are we talking? Once you start modding is everybody's game, that's retarded.

BTW, what you own? What are you hands on experience with SRT8s?? I thought so...Just reapeating what you read around...educate yourself.

Fanboys...
I own an 01 camaro with just a lid and full exhaust and have beaten 4 srt8's with the same mods, close races, yes, from what we know the new camaro is faster than the 4 gen's so what does that tell you.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I own an 01 camaro with just a lid and full exhaust and have beaten 4 srt8's with the same mods, close races, yes, from what we know the new camaro is faster than the 4 gen's so what does that tell you.
I raced quite a few stock srt8's with my cc denali,all races were joke's...waste of time,good looking cars but i like the camaro better,everyone has there own opinion.mine dodge cant hang with chevy looks or performance
Old 03-19-2009, 06:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So.........we KNOW the new Camaro is faster than the 4th gens? When did this happen? Don't get me wrong, on paper....it SHOULD be faster, but now you're just making unfounded assumptions. I may agree that the Camaro would be the better pick for someone with their priorities focused on performance, but that doesn't mean the Challenger can't be a good performing car if the guy wants to spend the money to make it so. Same goes for any car. I have to agree with chaman to a degree on this. Not everyone needs to have the fastest thing going. I don't see anything wrong with having nice, clean, decently fast, V8 powered American muscle. If this weren't true, we'd all be driving *****-to-the-wall stripped out Fox bodies and fully built 4th gens.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BADD *** VHO
I raced quite a few stock srt8's with my cc denali,all races were joke's...waste of time,good looking cars but i like the camaro better,everyone has there own opinion.mine dodge cant hang with chevy looks or performance
BS if I ever saw one....Check again what car you really ran against with because it was not a SRT8....We once again are reaching maximum stupidity levels. Its a shame the amount of poor knowledge infects this board nowadays...really a shame. I guess thats what you pay when a place gets too popular...
Old 03-19-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
So.........we KNOW the new Camaro is faster than the 4th gens? When did this happen? Don't get me wrong, on paper....it SHOULD be faster, but now you're just making unfounded assumptions. I may agree that the Camaro would be the better pick for someone with their priorities focused on performance, but that doesn't mean the Challenger can't be a good performing car if the guy wants to spend the money to make it so. Same goes for any car. I have to agree with chaman to a degree on this. Not everyone needs to have the fastest thing going. I don't see anything wrong with having nice, clean, decently fast, V8 powered American muscle. If this weren't true, we'd all be driving *****-to-the-wall stripped out Fox bodies and fully built 4th gens.
Funny this guy right? First he said SRT8 were slow based on obscure track performances. Then ASSUMES the new Camaro is faster...based on what??? Get a ******* clue because, as I suspected, you have ZERO experience (hands on or otherwise) outside your GM bubble.

I own both vehicles so i know a thing or two of what Im talking about.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Funny this guy right? First he said SRT8 were slow based on obscure track performances. Then ASSUMES the new Camaro is faster...based on what??? Get a ******* clue because, as I suspected, you have ZERO experience (hands on or otherwise) outside your GM bubble.

I own both vehicles so i know a thing or two of what Im talking about.
Okay dude chill out were all happy that you can afford sooooo many play cars, doesn't mean you have to be a dick. Guess what not everyone is going to like, or believe, you or your opinions.

I still say for the money buy/build an older car that will be faster than both.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BS if I ever saw one....Check again what car you really ran against with because it was not a SRT8....We once again are reaching maximum stupidity levels. Its a shame the amount of poor knowledge infects this board nowadays...really a shame. I guess thats what you pay when a place gets too popular...
It's funny how you know what i raced and what i can beat..what does a stock srt8 run in your knowledgable brain...because my truck run's low 12's without slick's.......go f#!k ur self you punk.. Dodge Sucks D!ck Like You...get over it..........

Quick Reply: Can't decide; Challenger or Camaro?!?!