Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

camaro ss vs. g8 gxp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toehead93
I agree with you on everything but this, the base SS starts less than $1,500 over the base Mustnag GT at $31,000 with the 1SS model. The loaded 2SS starts at $34,500. Of course the SS is in demand so you're not going to get any discounts, but the only way to reach $40k is to add every option available like striping, 21" wheels, sunroof, etc or a $5,000 mark-up.

MSRP for the base Pontiac G8 GXP is $37,610 so I don't know how anyone can say its more than an SS. Unless you're talking out the door, becuse they are good discounts and 0% finncing available for the G8 but even then there so close if your look at equally optioned cars.
if seen a couple people get the gxp for low 30's. probably because they just want to get rid of them and there not as much as a wow factor or gotta have it factor as the camaro. so more than lickley your going to be able to get a gxp alot cheaper than a SS for now.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Teching In

I believe that is the case, I was just comparing MSRP pricing. There will be a time when the Camaro has good deals too, just not any time real soon.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Teching In

If you wanted a deal on a GXP best time to buy was April-June they are running out of them now, they only made 1828, most are paying MSRP or more now. I paid 36k for mine in March.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Default match up

Somebody's gotta have some footage of this by now. As you guys have mentioned, red light to red light it's gonna be a drivers race. Somehow I'm just a bit partial to the GXP because in a way it carries on the Goat legacy...
Old 07-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Teching In

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sseHY6pVWlc

Check this out this was my car on a 75 degree day, BONE STOCK
Old 07-24-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Real nice run. But I think when it is all said and done the camaro will have a tenth or two advantage in the fastest stock run department. But a drivers race none the less.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

If you search my recent posts, you will see what I have to say about this subject.

The C5 or a C6 is the clear choice for a performance car.
Any car guy that wants a Corvette but needs some utility or can't afford it, is going to buy the G8 GT or GXP.

The new Camaro and the G8 are built on the same chassis (Zeta) but only the G8 offers good visibility, four doors, a huge interior, and a massive trunk, that can be purchased for around $26,000.
The G8 is the only choice between the Camaro and the G8.

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I'd go Camaro every time. I appreciate the G8 for what it is and the power it has but it is still a sedan and I don't want one

When are people going to finally understand that the Camaro IS a sedan ????

The Camaro IS the G8 sedan with it's doors, interior, and trunk, cut in half for a measly weight savings that is negligible.
Jeez!
People are such sheep for marketing bullshit.

Last edited by 427C5; 07-25-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 427C5
If you search my recent posts, you will see what I have to say about this subject.

The C5 or a C6 is the clear choice for a performance car.
Any car guy that wants a Corvette but needs some utility or can't afford it, is going to buy the G8 GT or GXP.

The new Camaro and the G8 are built on the same chassis (Zeta) but only the G8 offers good visibility, four doors, a huge interior, and a massive trunk, that can be purchased for around $26,000.
The G8 is the only choice between the Camaro and the G8.

When are people going to finally understand that the Camaro IS a sedan ????

The Camaro IS the G8 sedan with it's doors, interior, and trunk, cut in half for a measly weight savings that is negligible.
Jeez!
People are such sheep for marketing bullshit.
Your reply tells everyone how ignorant you are.

B. The gxp starts at $37,600. Thats a huge difference from an ss starting at $31,000

The Camaro is a g8, minus 2 doors and all the dimensions are different with different styling and weighs less.

But yeah your so ******* dumb you think its like a 4 door Grand Am and a 2 door Grand Am. Or maybe you think its like a TA and a Camaro. LOL.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Teching In

go ahead and buy a ss for that price, the gxp actually handles better than the ss, gxp is also going to be very rare 1-1829 and will always have the title "the fastest factory produced pontiac ever made".. i drove a ss, looks good.. the back seats are useless, cant see out it.. might as well buy a vette for what they are charging for them... you have to spend well over 37k ss camaro, and then that usually is the auto verion which doesnt even get the ls3..lol.. it gets the l99. The gxp in the auto gets the full ls3 the camaro will bne a dime a dozen a year from now, they are also having quality issues bad.. the manuals are breaking..etc..
Old 07-25-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I think the GXP looks a lot better. I have put some crazy *** **** in the GXP that I didn't think would even fit in there. I can still kick some late model *** when the local village idiots try to race me at a stop light on friday nights.
Better interior.
Better radio.
The name change alone helps because it doesn't insist on a legacy that the new Camaro can't fulfill. Not that it is bad to change your goal but obviously it confused people as demonstrated on this part of the fourm. AKA bitching about weight and IRS.

Plus I went around to dealers forever trying to get ahold of the Camaro SS and couldn't ever find one until MONTHS after I got my GXP.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ro9beam2002
go ahead and buy a ss for that price, the gxp actually handles better than the ss, gxp is also going to be very rare 1-1829 and will always have the title "the fastest factory produced pontiac ever made".. i drove a ss, looks good.. the back seats are useless, cant see out it.. might as well buy a vette for what they are charging for them... you have to spend well over 37k ss camaro, and then that usually is the auto verion which doesnt even get the ls3..lol.. it gets the l99. The gxp in the auto gets the full ls3 the camaro will bne a dime a dozen a year from now, they are also having quality issues bad.. the manuals are breaking..etc..
Base SS Camaros start at $31k

Please tell me how a car that weighs more with less hp can beat another car built on the same chassis.

Im not knocking the gxp, but some of you guys are ******* laughable, like your paid pontiac representivies trying to clear out the last of the pontiac invintory.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss1129
Base SS Camaros start at $31k

Please tell me how a car that weighs more with less hp can beat another car built on the same chassis.

Im not knocking the gxp, but some of you guys are ******* laughable, like your paid pontiac representivies trying to clear out the last of the pontiac invintory.
You're laughable because you can't even accept the reality that your precious Camaro is built on a SEDAN chassis and you rather make poor attempts at insulting people then accepting reality.
Tell us us you bought the Camaro because you love the way it looks and you either don't care about the specs and/or you're a blidnly loyal Camaro fan. At least that would be honest and we'd respect you for it.

I have people that have no idea what they are talking about accusing me of working for Techco. Now, I work for Pontiac too ??????
How about this: I aint buying a G8 until the prices have dropped like a rock like they defintiely will or GM releases a Zeta sedan. I'm also not buying a Techco until they prove to be the real deal instead of hype.
Does it still sound like I'm a Pontiac/Techco rep?

Why is it so hard for you to understand that if I'm buying a performance car, I want it be be LIGHT and if I'm buying a 4,000lb car I want it to have UTLITY ????

The Camaro offers NEITHER the low curb weight of a C5 or the utility of a G8.
Therefore, it's a FAIL to someone like me who buys according to SPECIFICATIONS and DRIVING EXPERIENCE rather than on looks and the name of the badge.

It's like talking to a brick around here sometimes.

Last edited by 427C5; 07-25-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

You're laughable because you can't even accept the reality that your precious Camaro is built on a SEDAN chassis and you rather make poor attempts at insulting people then accepting reality.
Tell us us you bought the Camaro because you love the way it looks and you either don't care about the specs and/or you're a blidnly loyal Camaro fan. At least that would be honest and we'd respect you for it.

I have people that have no idea what they are talking about accusing me of working for Techco. Now, I work for Pontiac too.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that if I'm buying a performance car, I want it be be LIGHT and if I'm buying a 4,000lb car I want it to have UTLITY ????

Therefore, it's a FAIL to someone like me who buys according to SPECIFICATIONS and DRIVING EXPERIENCE rather than on looks and the name of the badge.

Thats fine, because nobody is forcing you to buy a Camaro. However you have at least 12 posts where you jump in and refer to the Camaro as a pig and tell people about the G8.

Some people prefer the looks and performance of the camaro along with driving experiance.

But if you liked specifications and driving experiances you clearly never drove the 2010 camaro...because its a fact that despite its weight it handles at the same level of a c5. So you obviously have some vendetta against the car.

Beats mustang....check
Beats Challenger....check
Beats 4th gen fbodies...check
Competes head to head with c5 vetts...check
Looks awsome...check. (subjective)

So obviously you dont care about experiance or specs because it does a lot for the money.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Since I'm married and just had a baby last week, I would get the GXP. If I was single, I would get the Camaro. 4 doors vs 2 being the only reason.

They have the same powerplant, so that holds the same potential. You can fit bigger tires in back of the camaro no?
Old 07-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Old 07-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Launching!

I have people that have no idea what they are talking about accusing me of working for Techco. Now, I work for Pontiac too ??????
How about this: I aint buying a G8 until the prices have dropped like a rock like they defintiely will or GM releases a Zeta sedan. I'm also not buying a Techco until they prove to be the real deal instead of hype.
Does it still sound like I'm a Pontiac/Techco rep?

It's not built on specifically a "sedan" chassis. It's RWD architecture built for coupes, verts, sedans, wagons and utes.

The camaro can fit bigger tires out back no? That's a plus. Looks like it has more engine bay room too. Who knows what people are going to do with these cars. I doubt that the true performance capabilites of the camaro have been truly explored. I mean, what kind of weight reduction are we looking at as being possible? C5s are 2 seaters, it's not even comparable.

If everyone thought like you did, everyone would be driving around in C5Zs or Tahoes. Heaven forbid people balance performance with looks.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fatbum
Since I'm married and just had a baby last week, I would get the GXP. If I was single, I would get the Camaro. 4 doors vs 2 being the only reason.

They have the same powerplant, so that holds the same potential. You can fit bigger tires in back of the camaro no?
Which is fine. I actually considered a GXP until I saw the price, then when I saw the SS in person I had to order one.

Capt butthurt hates this car because its heavy??? Thats his only reason.

The 4th gens weighed 3400ish. These weigh about 400 more lbs, but they have;

14" rotors, brembo calipers, 20" wheels, true dual exhaust, 6 airbags and IRS. The rims alone weigh 140lbs.

So yeah, it weighs more than a vette. No ****. If this car was lighter than the vette, who the **** would buy the vette?
Old 07-25-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought both were built of the same platform?
Old 07-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ss1129
Which is fine. I actually considered a GXP until I saw the price, then when I saw the SS in person I had to order one.

Capt butthurt hates this car because its heavy??? Thats his only reason.

The 4th gens weighed 3400ish. These weigh about 400 more lbs, but they have;

14" rotors, brembo calipers, 20" wheels, true dual exhaust, 6 airbags and IRS. The rims alone weigh 140lbs.

So yeah, it weighs more than a vette. No ****. If this car was lighter than the vette, who the **** would buy the vette?
True story. That guy is just looking for something to bitch about.

Heaven forbid someone has different tastes.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 97ta383
I thought both were built of the same platform?
They are, its called the Zeta Platform. It was developed in Australia.

Quick Reply: camaro ss vs. g8 gxp?