Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

2010 COPO Camaro????

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull? No, not directly with GM...but I DO have "friends"...who have "friends"...and the answered questions and additional feedback just may be very worthwhile...

...and I do know how to spell Scott Settlemire's name without looking...

PMs?

Replies?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PowerPro01
Hey folks, do me a favor...

Post, or PM me, with YOUR thoughts on the vehicle content of a "buyable" COPO Camaro...one YOU would actually consider paying for...

1SS?

2SS?

LS7? (+ $15K, warranteed)

LSA/LS9? (+$25K, warranteed)

Stick?

Automatic?

"Understated", and racy?

Loaded, and cruisable?

Your answers may NOT be in vain...

Thanks!
I would like to see a 1SS with the LS3 and a six speed.

No power windows

No power locks

No power seats

1 drivers air bag

no awesome stereo system

No DUBZ

No onstar

Just a straight stripper SS meant for nothing but excitement.

The reason car sales are so shitty is because they are making the cars that people love to drive unattainable these days. I don't need a 1200 dollar set of seats that are heated and cooled. I don't need a ghetto blaster sound system to be happy in my car. I don't need power everything because I'm not so lazy that I can't position things in my car by hand.

Last edited by chrisdacarnut; 04-22-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chrisdacarnut

No power windows

No power locks

No power seats

1 drivers air bag

no awesome stereo system

No DUBZ

No onstar

The reason car sales are so shitty is because they are making the cars that people love to drive unattainable these days. I don't need a 1200 dollar set of seats that are heated and cooled. I don't need a ghetto blaster sound system to be happy in my car. I don't need power everything because I'm not so lazy that I can't position things in my car by hand.
Throw in a light weight custom hood and trunk lid and you would have a solid car. I agree also with smaller wheels but not much smaller, an 18 or 19in wheel would be appropriate and still not throw the look off. You have to remember the wheel wells will look ridiculous with anything smaller.

If there was ever a car that could be fun to drive this would be it especially if you could get it with a suspension package that compliments the wheel and tires.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

I would order a "COPO" stripper Camaro with an LS7. It's the 427 NA that gets me. Put that in a stripped Camaro that weighs at least what a 4th gen weighs and I sign me up! Must be available as a manual too. Please do not "over-bagde" the car either! Original COPO cars had very few indications that they were monsters!

I love the original ZL1 1969 Camaros! Dog dish hub caps, no radio, no A/C, no power steering. Just a huge motor and 4 speed rock crusher.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No power windows

No power locks

No power seats

1 drivers air bag

no awesome stereo system

No DUBZ

No onstar

That's one reason I hate the new Camaro. You have to get big *** rims to get the LS3 and that kind of fights logic. Lets but a rubber band tire on a car with a bunch of power. Go GM!

-----------

By the way "friends" at GM will get you no where. They are all useless as noted by their economic performance.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

While I agree with the big wheel comment, GM is marketing to people who would rather it looks better and are not as educated as the rest of us. Just the way the world is going...sad but true
Old 04-22-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

No power windows

No power locks

No power seats

1 drivers air bag

no awesome stereo system

No DUBZ

No onstar

Sorry to be the barer of bad news.... but 1 air-big will NEVER happen due to liability concerns.

Yes.... I know years ago.... cars did come with only one... but that was before the manufactures started putting in the passenger air bag. To leave out the other air bag(s) now would simply be an open invitation to litigation.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

I know this thread says COPO, but I think they may be building the NICKEY Camaro for '10. Not sure if it is a go yet.
There is also another builder, (that is an AMAZING builder), that is doing a customized version of the '10 Camaro to "wake it up" a bit. Limited production, like 60 cars built. Chris Fesler and John Moss are doing the build.
Different engine choices, LS3, LS7 LS9 or LSx choices. And so on.
Fesler is a member on one of the forums I belong to and this guy and his crew CAN FLAT OUT build some nice cars!!
www.feslerbuilt.com
Old 04-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

I aggree, They are supposed to be baseline cars with the top drivetrain. a Base LS is $23k, pick up a LS7 for $15k, sell out the brand new V6 for $6k? Same price as an SS? Would it be possible to buy one of teh camaro bodies GM sells for $7k, build it up with a LS7 and register it yourself as a Kit car? It probably has to pass safety laws, too though. GM stated these would not be shipped with Vins. Contact Yenko's family for naming rights......

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
I would order a "COPO" stripper Camaro with an LS7. It's the 427 NA that gets me. Put that in a stripped Camaro that weighs at least what a 4th gen weighs and I sign me up! Must be available as a manual too. Please do not "over-bagde" the car either! Original COPO cars had very few indications that they were monsters!

I love the original ZL1 1969 Camaros! Dog dish hub caps, no radio, no A/C, no power steering. Just a huge motor and 4 speed rock crusher.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by PowerPro01
Hey folks, do me a favor...

Post, or PM me, with YOUR thoughts on the vehicle content of a "buyable" COPO Camaro...one YOU would actually consider paying for...

1SS?

2SS?

LS7? (+ $15K, warranteed)

LSA/LS9? (+$25K, warranteed)

Stick?

Automatic?

"Understated", and racy?

Loaded, and cruisable?

Your answers may NOT be in vain...

Thanks!

Please, post your COPO thoughts publically.

Someone from GM might be listening ....

Thanks,
Dr. Jamie
Old 04-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like a stripped down base model. With the LS9 motor please.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just an observation here. But if all you guys want is a lightweight, stripped down car with a big motor.......no frills, no excessive safety features or sound deadening, no big rims, no excessive electronics..........WHY are you looking at a new Camaro in the first place? Wouldn't a 4th gen F-bod better serve your purpose? These new pony/muscle cars are meant to offer power and performance matched with modern safety and conveniences. Seems to me that if nothing but the power interests you....you'd be better off buying a used, older model car and dropping an LS7 or LS9 in it.

Just saying...
Old 04-25-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I do agree that GM could have made some of that standard equipment into optional equipment. Would have brought the cost of the baseline models down some while leaving those features available to those who wanted pay for the option. But it's 2009, and apparently GM wanted to throw the kitchen sink at the new Camaro....and keeping their costs down by not having too many optional elements to contend with during production.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:49 AM
12 Second Club

if i can afford one of the new camaros i think i would opt for the V6 3oo hp model w/ a 6 spd. Pull the engine, add forged pistons, rods, ported heads etc.. and a nice turbo.. for a lot less than a new LS7 SS car.. and if you ordered the V6 car with the least amount of options then you have your sleeper..
Old 04-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Just an observation here. But if all you guys want is a lightweight, stripped down car with a big motor.......no frills, no excessive safety features or sound deadening, no big rims, no excessive electronics..........WHY are you looking at a new Camaro in the first place? Wouldn't a 4th gen F-bod better serve your purpose? These new pony/muscle cars are meant to offer power and performance matched with modern safety and conveniences. Seems to me that if nothing but the power interests you....you'd be better off buying a used, older model car and dropping an LS7 or LS9 in it.

Just saying...
The 1932 ford truck in my avatar, has a LS7 in it. so I already have your option. But I do like the looks of the new camaro, and would like a stripped down high HP version. That rides an handles a little better than a 77 year old truck.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Launching!

my threads been hijacked... i just want to know if anyone has any info on this COPO camaro i read the article about. availabiliy and pricing would be cool
Old 04-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

The "COPO" car was done as a SEMA Concept car, initially...NO specific production plans, then...it was done to gauge consumer interest...

My questions, above, and opinion solicitation is in an attempt to show the "need" for a Dealer-available version. Like the Z28, this "COPO" concept is, at best, on hold, perhaps indefinitely under prevailing circumstance...UNLESS consumer demand makes it an unavoidable car to build...within GM or "outside"...

How would YOUR version look, or be equipped with? LS7, or LSA/LS9? Stick, or Automatic?

Last edited by PowerPro01; 04-25-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

I want an LS9, manual tranny, no power, no AC, and a price tag under 50K. I would have already ordered one if that combo was available.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147

Just saying...

How about because 4th gens are old falling apart cars? Maybe because we're true auto enthusiasts that want the latest and greatest technology without all the extra bullshit we don't need? Maybe we like the new styling and want a warranty as well? And maybe just maybe we like to get the best bang for our buck.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=chrisdacarnut;11492504]How about because 4th gens are old falling apart cars? Maybe because we're true auto enthusiasts that want the latest and greatest technology without all the extra bullshit we don't need? Maybe we like the new styling and want a warranty as well? And maybe just maybe we like to get the best bang for our buck.[/QUOTE

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 2010 COPO Camaro????