Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Launch control

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launch control

Been thinking about this for a little while now. They include a launch control system in the new Camaro (for the manual SS anyway), the only problem is it is not too hard to beat it if you are a skilled driver. My understanding is you floor the gas, dump the clutch, and the throttle is held at a pre-determined position to prevent wheelspin, then it rolls on the throttle (controlled by computer) up to WOT. My question is, does this system have some kind of feedback given from the stability control system? Either way, I would think you could tweak the parameters and make it more aggressive and possibly even take advantage of all the instrumentation built in to the stability control system. Yes it is lame to let a computer do all this, but it would be interesting to know if it is possible to change the factory settings.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rayhawk
Been thinking about this for a little while now. They include a launch control system in the new Camaro (for the manual SS anyway), the only problem is it is not too hard to beat it if you are a skilled driver. My understanding is you floor the gas, dump the clutch, and the throttle is held at a pre-determined position to prevent wheelspin, then it rolls on the throttle (controlled by computer) up to WOT. My question is, does this system have some kind of feedback given from the stability control system? Either way, I would think you could tweak the parameters and make it more aggressive and possibly even take advantage of all the instrumentation built in to the stability control system. Yes it is lame to let a computer do all this, but it would be interesting to know if it is possible to change the factory settings.
I think you're thinking of traction control.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Launching!

No, there is a launch control mode that comes on the M6 SS car. The car has three modes, normal driving, a sport mode, and launch control that helps you get off the line.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah it should be possible once you have a slick and laptop with HP tuners. Evo's, STI's, etc all change parameters once they are modded if not the cars just bog hard off the line.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure it's either something you can adjust with the right software (or will be able to in the very near future), or just disable it completely.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd disable it completely. Seems kinda lame if you ask me.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01sscam
I'd disable it completely. Seems kinda lame if you ask me.
No need to disable it, you can turn it off completely with the switch.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

it doesn't have "launch control"... it has Traction Control and Stabilitrak, if u press the T/C button it turns the T/C on and off, and if u hold the button down, it turns off the stability control, so u can drift it into corners and let the back hang out...
Old 05-24-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all you are doing is sliding into a corner and letting the rear end step out that is not drifting...that is a power slide. Drifting is different...but yeah if you can just turn it off then why do you want it gone???
Old 05-24-2009, 05:54 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by someday
it doesn't have "launch control"... it has Traction Control and Stabilitrak, if u press the T/C button it turns the T/C on and off, and if u hold the button down, it turns off the stability control, so u can drift it into corners and let the back hang out...
Actually, it has launch control.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 05-24-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Actually, it has launch control.
i just read the Motor Trend article that says it has 'launch control'... y is it not mentioned anywhere on the camaro website?? i'd like to see some actual proof of it somewhere by Chevy...
Old 05-24-2009, 09:50 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by someday
i just read the Motor Trend article that says it has 'launch control'... y is it not mentioned anywhere on the camaro website?? i'd like to see some actual proof of it somewhere by Chevy...
Proof? It has launch control. There you go

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 05-25-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the EVO launch control is pretty cool but overly protective from the factory. You can launch the car at 4000 rpm and the ecm will still make it bog untill you program the computer.

but really you want to be protective of the powertrain of that particular vehicle.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Proof? It has launch control. There you go
He is correct! And he would know his **** too !
Old 05-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Teching In

So what i want to know is why the Corvette Z06 launch control is so much better than the Camaro's LC? Is it the Camaro just getting second rate product to the Corvette? The Corvette Z06 is 0-60 is 3.7 w/LC vs. 3.6 Pro Driver. And the Camaro is 5.1 w/ LC vs. 4.7 Pro Driver. ".4" difference. I could be wrong, but it should be easier to match the Pro Driver time with Launch Control on a slower car.

Quick Reply: Launch control