Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

5th gen vs 4th gen angst...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i really like the 5th gen, but its notin the budget as of now, im just gonna wait till i can get one ca$h. even if its v6. i would prefer v8. but wont turn down a manual v6. i alredy have a 10sec.n/a car and a 500rw 4th gen.
i would drive the 5th gen just as nice day driver. i dont really care about the weight, a turbo or some bolt ons is all i would ever install on it.
it looks good and gets lots of attention,
im not so much concerned about the stoplight honda punks and loud mod motor mustangs anymore.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, great thread! I completely agree with the OP and the old farts sharing the LT1 to LS1 debacle, C4 to C5 to C6, etc. It really is the exact same phenomenon. It is what it is.

Now, to address some concerns with the 5th gen. The weight problem might be solved with fiberglass quarter panels, etc. from VFN when they come out with them (and they will). Of course that would be extremely expensive to buy them, ship them, paint them, install them, etc. But reducing weight is better than adding power, IMO.

I think we can all agree that the 2SS is not the car members of this board have been dreaming of. It has been designed and engineered for the masses and for good reason. Thank God for the aftermarket! But, Chevy was working on a Z/28 model just for us. Everyone knows that the Z/28 has been put on the shelf indefinitely along with the 'vert. Well, that Z/28 might feature some weight saving measures along with the blown 6.2L LS8 that's supposed to push out 550+bhp.

You better believe that Ford was hedging their bets by bumping their '10 GT500 up to KR levels as a preemptive brace against the fury of the Z/28. They knew GM was taking the gloves off and had them in the crosshairs. But, the economy took a **** on that... for now.

The 5th gen is not an evolution of the 4th in the way the 3rd was to the 2nd and so on. While I'm on the subject, I will never consider the 5th gen an "F Body" as it is built on the Zeta architecture. This might be a good thing as the consumer base abandoned the F Body throughout the 4th generation and GM needs some cars sold! Things had to change. They think they will sell more cars with this Bluetooth BS and so on. I hope they are right. I hope the 5th gen helps to turn GM around. God knows I won't buy a Ford and I'll shoot myself before I drive a Mopar...

Rant over!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 68Goatboy
i agree with you.

the new camaro competes with higher class touring cars. i.e. G35s, etc... moreso than mustangs.

i love my 4th gen, i also love the new 5th gen and would very much want to drive one to see whether or not it would belong in my garage or not.
i see you read Motor Trend lol i just picked that magazine up last night and read it lots of good info about the car
Old 06-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
there are a LOT of cars that have been in the works for years that cant produce the numbers our 4th gens can... the new camaro has already went mid 12s with a tune and CAI in the heat... since when do 4th gens do that?

significantly higher cost? its around 2k more than a new fbody was, but look at the extra features you get..

this surprises you??? my god, think a little.. the corvette is SUPPOSED to kick the crap out of it... and many other cars for that matter... why in gods name would you build a car to compete with your top dog? that would be dumb... they arent trying to compete with ANYTHING other than the mustang gt challenger charger etc etc etc... they did that, and did it well..
It doesn't matter if there have been other cars in development for years. This is the SUCCESSOR to the 4th gens. The SUCCESSOR isn't any faster than the 11 year old 4th gens. That is the problem.

Last time I checked, they're selling in the ~$40,000 range. 4th gen Z28's were $25,000 if that when they first came out.

The C5 Corvette wasn't a whole lot faster than the 4th gens. The C6 blows the 5th gen out of the water. If the 5th gens were averaging 12.5's out there, I'd agree with you. However, they are not. And 12.5 with a CAI and a tune is not impressive to me. A CAI and a tune is enough to put a 4th gen M6 in the mid 12's with a good driver. That's easily a 20-30rwhp gain. If a 4th gen M6 can go 12.9 bone stock, I see no reason why mid 12's are impossible with a 4th gen.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a few more $$$$$.... I'd get a C6 and call it a day.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
It doesn't matter if there have been other cars in development for years. This is the SUCCESSOR to the 4th gens. The SUCCESSOR isn't any faster than the 11 year old 4th gens. That is the problem.

Last time I checked, they're selling in the ~$40,000 range. 4th gen Z28's were $25,000 if that when they first came out.

The C5 Corvette wasn't a whole lot faster than the 4th gens. The C6 blows the 5th gen out of the water. If the 5th gens were averaging 12.5's out there, I'd agree with you. However, they are not. And 12.5 with a CAI and a tune is not impressive to me. A CAI and a tune is enough to put a 4th gen M6 in the mid 12's with a good driver. That's easily a 20-30rwhp gain. If a 4th gen M6 can go 12.9 bone stock, I see no reason why mid 12's are impossible with a 4th gen.
yes, they are faster... no if ands or buts... driver aside.. look at the trap speeds... 110+mph... thats mid 12s all day once people learn the car..

you can pick up a fully optioned one for around 37k... your comparing it to a z28... come on man, seriously? compare it to an SS or WS6... and even at that... those ran around 31-32k.... but look at what you get with the 5th gen, braking/handleing/NICE/options/quality/etc etc etc..

no.. CAI and tune is good enough to put a handful of all the fbodys ever made into mid-high 12s in perfect weather a hell of a track and a hell of a driver...
a CAI and tune is good enough to put a 5th gen in the SOLID mid 12s on a humid warm night and someone that just bought the car and hasnt had chance to learn the car as well s we know our fbodys..

the 5th gen went 12.9s@111-112 (cant recall trap speed) bone stock no break in miles non prepped track.. the 4th gens that did this in perfect this and that....

the 5th gen is considerably faster.. i would put it on par speed wise to a 03-04 cobra...
Old 06-11-2009, 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

yes, they are faster... no if ands or buts... driver aside.. look at the trap speeds... 110+mph... thats mid 12s all day once people learn the car..
No way. In a Fbody yes but in a zeta with 20" tires it'll never be "normal" for any 100% stock 2SS to be in the 12's much less mid 12's.

you can pick up a fully optioned one for around 37k... your comparing it to a z28... come on man, seriously? compare it to an SS or WS6... and even at that... those ran around 31-32k.... but look at what you get with the 5th gen, braking/handleing/NICE/options/quality/etc etc etc...
Lets compare it to an SS since that's the most fair comparison. But I'll get to that in a moment.

no.. CAI and tune is good enough to put a handful of all the fbodys ever made into mid-high 12s in perfect weather a hell of a track and a hell of a driver....
Wrong. Most M6 LS1's could get at least high 12's with tuning and CAI. It just takes the right driver and a respectable DA.

a CAI and tune is good enough to put a 5th gen in the SOLID mid 12s on a humid warm night and someone that just bought the car and hasnt had chance to learn the car as well s we know our fbodys...
So far two 2010 2ss camaros have reported thier times with a cai and tune. One ran 12.5 as you clearly love to point out. The other ran 13.0-13.1 with the same two mods. Add a lid and a tune to a 12.9 stock M6 LS1 and he beats one of the 2010 camaros and is probably less then two tenths from the other one.

the 5th gen went 12.9s@111-112 (cant recall trap speed) bone stock no break in miles non prepped track...
Can you show me a link?

I've been looking around and so far I have only come across Hot Rod that claims a 12.9 stock time from a 2010 camaro. But when you read the article you find out it wasn't at an actual track. They used one of those plug-in devices that are not known to be 100% accurate.

So far I have seen every 2010 Camaro run 13's stock. I'm sure one will run high 12's soon if it hasn't all ready. But if you have a verified link I would like to read about it. But I wouldn't be surprised if the 2010 camaro becomes a lot like the LS1. High 12's occasionally but 13's normally. I'd still give the edge to the 2010 camaro but not by much.

the 4th gens that did this in perfect this and that....

the 5th gen is considerably faster.....
Really? Take a look at this article which you probably have seen before but may have forgotten.

Notice how the Z28 they referred to went 12.89 @ 108 stock in good air. But they took an SS down the track and ran 12.98 @ 107.48 in lousy air with nearly a full tank of fuel.

That's right, they admit the air was lousy and the car was weighed down with gas. Imagine that car on a quarter tank in good air!

Remember when I said I would get back to comparing the cost of a new LS1 ss vs 2010 2SS? They mentioned in that article that the base price of an SS was $26,170. That's not a bad price wouldn't you say?

Considerably faster? I don't think so. What about the 588 rwhp 2010 Camaro that ran 11.5 @ 120? I notice you never mention that run. Maybe because Fbodies with 400 rwhp (or even a little less) can match or beat it's ET

But I concede that they are "faster" by virtue of accelleration and trap speed. They just are not any "quicker" because they ET the same and in many cases slower then an LS1 fbody.

i would put it on par speed wise to a 03-04 cobra...
I wouldn't. Stock trap speed is the only thing they have in common. The Cobra has a better stock ET, responds better to bolt ons and is made by Ford.

I am not alone when I express disappointment from this car. I wanted a 3600 lb car that runs low 12's stock. I wanted ammunition to throw in the face of 03/04 Cobra guys. I wanted to say to my wife that I'm saving for a new Camaro whether she likes it or not.

But instead I'm saying it's not worth buying a 2010 Camaro when the C6 Corvette is a better bang for the buck and my current LS1 is a far better platform for a track car.

Last edited by darrensls1; 06-11-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Launching!

i FINALLY had the opportunity to see one in person this week. i must say, i was disappointed. now i'm not jumping on the 5th gen bash wagon here, but it just didn't really impress me seeing it on the street. i kept hearing that they look so much better in person, but i liked it better when it was just a pic. maybe it will grow on me... i'm sure if i had the oppty to drive one i would fall in love, but it just seems like such a big car. it's too damn tall and honestly the front end kinda looks plain up close in person. as a whole it gave me the impression that the camaro is in the process of morphing into a sedan. okay, that might be an exaggeration, but you know what i'm saying. i really wanted one of these cars until i saw it in person... i just hope that it grows on me over time cause there is not a camaro that has ever seen the road that i didn't love.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Launching!

LOL at all the people that have no idea what inflation is, and all those comparing base prices of one car (corvette, 4th gen) to fully optioned prices + markup of the 2010 camaro.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Banned

I know exactly why they made the fifth gen what it is... To get me to buy a Vette, those tricky smart bastards

The only real problem I have with the car is the weight!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always wanted a T/A WS6, so i picked one up. Not because I couldn't afford a new Camaro, it's just because I always loved the look of the WS6 T/A's. The new Camaro is nice and all, but it hasn't grown on my yet. I considered trading in my G37, but i really don't see anything to special in the camaro, but thats just my opinion.

now if they came out with the z/28, then bye bye G37, T/A, family dog, or girlfriend. Hell, I'd sell my own mother for 5th gen z/28.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28
First of all, great thread! I completely agree with the OP and the old farts sharing the LT1 to LS1 debacle, C4 to C5 to C6, etc. It really is the exact same phenomenon. It is what it is.

Now, to address some concerns with the 5th gen. The weight problem might be solved with fiberglass quarter panels, etc. from VFN when they come out with them (and they will). Of course that would be extremely expensive to buy them, ship them, paint them, install them, etc. But reducing weight is better than adding power, IMO.

I think we can all agree that the 2SS is not the car members of this board have been dreaming of. It has been designed and engineered for the masses and for good reason. Thank God for the aftermarket! But, Chevy was working on a Z/28 model just for us. Everyone knows that the Z/28 has been put on the shelf indefinitely along with the 'vert. Well, that Z/28 might feature some weight saving measures along with the blown 6.2L LS8 that's supposed to push out 550+bhp.

You better believe that Ford was hedging their bets by bumping their '10 GT500 up to KR levels as a preemptive brace against the fury of the Z/28. They knew GM was taking the gloves off and had them in the crosshairs. But, the economy took a **** on that... for now.

The 5th gen is not an evolution of the 4th in the way the 3rd was to the 2nd and so on. While I'm on the subject, I will never consider the 5th gen an "F Body" as it is built on the Zeta architecture. This might be a good thing as the consumer base abandoned the F Body throughout the 4th generation and GM needs some cars sold! Things had to change. They think they will sell more cars with this Bluetooth BS and so on. I hope they are right. I hope the 5th gen helps to turn GM around. God knows I won't buy a Ford and I'll shoot myself before I drive a Mopar...

Rant over!
HAHAHA....
Pull your head out of your ***!

Look around.... (GM filed for bankruptcy shhhhhh...)

Ol'Boboama and the NEW GM will have nothing of the sort.

The next "SS" model is gonna be the AVEO"SS".

The NEW Government Motors is gonna have 35+mpg rides comin' at'cha SOON!

Sonofabitch I hope I'm wrong but hey...I didn't vote for him....

Enjoy the hp now 'cause it may not last....

PS.... IT'S A LARDASS!

Last edited by nickate; 06-11-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran

I was well into driving age when the 1998 camaro first came out and thought it was awesome to have had the opportunity to roll around in a 1998 White Camaro SS with a warmed over engine back in 1998. It was a drop top with roll cage. They were new and the one I was driving was "fast." Best two weeks of my life until many years down the road.

THE CAR WAS VERY SLOW COMPARED TO LS1s TODAY!!! But I remember back then there weren't alot of fast cool cars coming out. I am so glad the times changed and all of those junkers from the early 90s aren't on the roads as much even though the Camaro as we know it is gone. I almost wish they didn't name the new car a Camaro as that dictates what kind of car people think it should be.

My GXP is a far superior driving around car as I never get to drag race much these days anyways. But, I will never forget my Camaro days. All of the donuts, spin outs, 360s in the middle of the road, ect. Hydroplaning. You name it I lost control like that and laughed till the speedo said 0.

The new cars just don't do the same things and personally I am glad. I like having a car with some luxury that still hauls *** and doesn't hurt my back when i go over bumps. We can't turn back the clock so just stick with the old car if you want ONLY straight line accel. But you are missing out. There is more to life when you don't want a second car.

If I do pick up a second car I might consider an f body but more than likely I will jump into a vette if I want a race vehicle that isn't "a 4000 lb pig."

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 06-11-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by demonspeed
That is not a RS. The badges are not in the right place, no HIDs and no 20's. What a fool.
It is whatever they say it is for $40k. It ain't my car, it's packing at least a 310 horse V6, and it DOES look cool. I wish I could afford even a FAKE 2010 RS. The 20's make the cars look like glorified Chryslers anyhow. Staggered sizes like on the Z06, would give it a more pronounced rake and look better IMHO. All HIDs do for me is **** me off driving into them. Just keep your headlights clean and you ought not have problems at night.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Launching!

I think another factor that goes into this, are those of us who are Firebird enthusiasts. GM took away both of our F-Bodies and only came back with one of them (and not as an F-Body) .. and it was the Camaro (and understandably so). So on top of the pros and cons between the previous generation and its successor, you have those of us who are just not attracted by the Camaros styling because we always preferred Firebirds. I think its safe to assume that its more likely for an LS1 Camaro owner to like the 5th Gen Camaro more so than an LS1 Firebird owner just simply based on body styling. And I wouldnt say we're jealous because of that fact either, we just arent brought in by its looks.

Performance wise, I can understand ppl being upset about its weight because it seems to be whats really holding it back in a lot of ppls eyes. Without that extra weight, ud more than likely have a Camaro that seems more like a successor given its ~75hp difference instead of one that seems barely faster than a 4th Gen stock vs stock. However on that same note... the Mustang is also heavier than its previous generation and I dont think we even need to drag how much the Challenger weighs lol... and those are the cars the Camaro is competing with.

Me personally? I just like how my Trans Am looks much better. U can make anything fast and I already have the car that I want. No jealousy here, just not intrigued by the new Camaros looks and not really intimidated by how quick it is compared to my generation.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
The new cars just don't do the same things and personally I am glad. I like having a car with some luxury that still hauls *** and doesn't hurt my back when i go over bumps. We can't turn back the clock so just stick with the old car if you want ONLY straight line accel. But you are missing out. There is more to life when you don't want a second car.
Dude, you had drag suspension on your Camaro, its your own fault that the car rode like that...
Old 06-12-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only issue i have is of course the weight... but the bigger issue IMO is look at the rear window.. OMG its so small.. and if you havnt sat in one yet, go do it, and you will see wha ti mean when i say that the windshield is so small.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02ws666
The only issue i have is of course the weight... but the bigger issue IMO is look at the rear window.. OMG its so small.. and if you havnt sat in one yet, go do it, and you will see wha ti mean when i say that the windshield is so small.
Looking at the ones I've have seen, the rear end is one big blind spot. The owner was quick to admit that as well. But the "fun in driving it eclipses any shortcomings"... or so they say.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02ws666
Not like you can see crap out of the 4th gen rear window and it has a hatch design.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Congrats... It has evolved from a "Pony Car" to a lard---***!

GM makes great motors... Really too bad they have to be burdened down with an obese chassis!
Hey guys--- I know you can do it (Corvette)... DO IT!

GM... Still building cars their way and trying to convince people that's what they want....
Why not LISTEN and RESPOND to what people say?????

NAW.......

Last edited by nickate; 06-13-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Quick Reply: 5th gen vs 4th gen angst...