Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

2ss l99 vehicle weighed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LivernoisMotorsports
Of course every car varies slightly, but Develish34 is correct. With a tune only, a G8 GT will see around 330 RWHP / 340 RWTQ, but you'll notice huge gains from the trans cal with reduced torque management. With a CAI like a Rotofab and a tune you'll see around 345 RWHP / 360 RWTQ.

-Rick
Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
My G8 was 3995 lbs without me in it. I don't remember how much gas was in it, but it's a GT with the performance package and no sunroof.
I referred to the 2 posts above

Originally Posted by Dark SS
Well that's simple the C6 is 50K, the G8 is a family car and costs more for the same power train and the C5 is old technology. Not to mention not everyone wants a vette, can you even wrap your head around that?
Wrap your head around this:
The new Camaro is a fat sedan pretending to be a sports coupe.
The G8 is a better daily driver with better utility and the Corvette is a better performer....and looker.

Family car?
That family car will be door to door with you for less money, with the same mods.

Last edited by 427C5; 07-23-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

A 1967 Z/28 is supposedly 3700 lbs stock based on the links I looked at, that would be a fair comparo. A 1969 Chevelle or or a 1970 Monte Carlo is a different car, not a pony car.

I personally don't understand why a C6 is 3400, and a 5th gen is 3900 but that's just me.

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I find that to be a misconception.

Many of the cars people hot rodded or pimped in the 60's and 70's weighted about the same as today with only some of the car weighting in 2800 to 3300 lbs. Those cars that weighted in less were stripped or had simple suspensions with minimal features. Unibody and not chassis....

1967 Chevelle was about 3800 lbs.
Chevelle wagon (quite popular actually for family use) cleared 4200....4400
Biscayne could weight in the 3800....this car was a cheap full siz and could be ordered with a big engine

74 Monte Carlo was 4000 lbs, awesome car that can fit a freaking jet engine in there
70 Carlo was still 3800 ish.

I mean yea the Camaro and Nova had less weight but still. Those cars had crappy suspension and were cheap. A stripped Nova has a weight that would make you smile but have fun putting the big block in there. It does fit but its not fun.... for me anways.

So they weren't magic numbers that a racer would droll over like say 2400 lbs or something. But yes the crappier cars had weights that drag racers rave over now.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 427C5
I referred to the 2 posts above

Wrap your head around this:
The new Camaro is a fat sedan pretending to be a sports coupe.
The G8 is a better daily driver with better utility and the Corvette is a better performer....and looker.

Family car?
That family car will be door to door with you for less money, with the same mods.
If I was looking for a daily driver I wouldn't get either car let alone a vette. What you posted is not a G8 GT with a tune. That made 330rwhp. That's pretty far off from the 377 I got out of mine so your door to door theaory is shot to hell. If you want to talk about modding cars then the wanna be sports car will run circles around a brand new Z06 for almost half the cost. Take a look at what LMR did to the gen5 with 6K in upgrades.
Why don't you get that other people like different things. Your ignorant, I don't want a 4-door family car and IMO vette's are for old men and guys with short peters. Seems like you need to stand up for a minute and let some blood get to your brain. A brand new SS is faster than a G8 GT period, by a decent margin.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

The new camaro is a pig that runs. Simply put.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

1. Now please show me where a G8 GT is making 364rwhp with a tune because that's what my car put down stock.

2. No it's not, it's an LS2 with AFM.

3. Well that's simple the C6 is 50K, the G8 is a family car and costs more for the same power train and the C5 is old technology. Not to mention not everyone wants a vette, can you even wrap your head around that?
Ok, first off i am not talking to you in a confrontational or "know it all" manner or tone. SO calm down a bit, you seem as if you feel insulted or something. I just want to learn something here, and correct and misconceptions i may have.

1. The G8 has 3 models, correct? There is the entry level V-6, there is the GT which is the v-8 (forget the name of the motor) which is essentially a detuned LS3 with Active Fuel management (and does it have the cam phaser as well?), and then there is the GXP which is the LS3 V-8. Is that correct??

2. I didnt know they were using the LS2 in the G8. I thought the LS2 was pretty much only used in trucks now, but called either the lq4 or lq9. I thought motors for the 3 levels of g8's were... v-6, then detuned LS3 with AFM (called something else) like in the automatic Camaro SS, and then the LS3 in the GXP. Please correct me if i am wrong. I am not claiming to know alot about the G8. I like the car alot, but i dont own one nor have i read up on the details in a while.

3. this one has nothing to do with me, but i will field it.I think what 427 C5 is saying is that he feels there really isnt a need or niche for the camaro. If you want something with ***** (big motor), good performance, and is a practical Daily driver with room to seat 4 people the G8 is probably a better fit than the camaro. It is more practical, with dam near identical performance due to sharing the power train, and the chasiss\frame.
If you want big *****\motor, performance, and are not concerned with practicality or seating more then you and a single passenger, the vette is a better fit than the camaro. It performs far better, is lighter, faster, etc.

I think 427 C5 feels is that the camaro is a jack of all trades, master of none. that a person would be better served deciding which direction they want to take, what need they want to fill, and then pick either the G8 or the vette accordingly. The Camaro can fill both rolls, but is only "good" in each category and not "awesome" in a desired roll like the more specialized car.

if i am misrepresenting what you were saying, 427 C5, i am sorry.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

If you want to talk about modding cars then the wanna be sports car will run circles around a brand new Z06 for almost half the cost. Take a look at what LMR did to the gen5 with 6K in upgrades.
not to call you a liar or say you are wrong, but i cant see that happening. I would imagine you would have to put ALOT of money into a camaro for it to run circles around a ZO6.

Camaro SS price: 38k
vette ZO6 price: 69k

the vette with a pair of headers and cam puts down damn near 600rwhp. Not to mention the handling, light weight, etc. To go as fast as a 580rwhp vette in a straight line, a camaro would need probably close to 700rwhp.that alot of *****, and alot of money in mods. Then we come to the twisty track, which i cant see the camaro keeping up with a ZO6 no matter how much money or mods are put into it. no matter what you do to the camaro's suspension and such, it will still be much heavier, higher off the ground, narrower, etc.

if i am wrong, please tell me. I would love to know how you propose to make a camaro smoke a ZO6.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not being confrontational at all. You are misdirected I guess. The G8 GT comes with a 6.0 litre with AFM, not a 6.2 which the LS3 is. It makes 376HP compared to the A6 Camaro's 400HP so they do not share the same motor. The L76 I believe its' called is not the L99 used in the Camaro and is more related to the LS2. I don't get any compparison between to two especially when the G8 will no longer be available. The G8 is a sedan, albiet a fast sedan it is made to move people. The Camaro is a sports coupe and is directed at a compeletly different market. Seems like both of you guys are wrong again because the Camaro is selling quite well, better than the G8 ever did and the owners seem to love these cars. Because you don't see a need for it doesn't make others wrong.

Next up where do you get 38K for an SS? They start at 31K and for the slayer package from LMR that costs roughly 6K they will run down a C6 Z06 for 32K less give or take a couple grand.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/2010-cama...spirtated.html
Seems pretty good to me.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BSmiff
The new camaro is a pig that runs. Simply put.
I agree with that.
Although I'm disappointed about the weight, the new Camaro still destroys the Mustang and the Challenger.

Your ignorant.
so your door to door theaory is shot to hell.
I don't want a 4-door family car and IMO vette's are for old men and guys with short peters.
Who's ignorant?

It appears you don't even realize the Camaro and the G8 are built on the same Zeta platform.
A modded 5th Gen competing with a C6 ZO6 that weighs 800lb less?
C'mon man. Give it a break.

I'm not a family man, nor do I plan to be.
But, If I have to deal with a 3,850lb coupe, I think an extra 150lbs in exchange for a TON of passenger and cargo space is a no-brainer. Especially, when you can buy a new G8 GT for less money.
As far as you perpetuating stereotypes, it's not worth responding to.

Last edited by 427C5; 07-23-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Next up where do you get 38K for an SS? They start at 31K and for the slayer package from LMR that costs roughly 6K they will run down a C6 Z06 for 32K less give or take a couple grand.
Seems pretty good to me.[/QUOTE]

Your not going to be running down a C6 Zo6 with 500 RWHP!! There best run was 505 and one was 460 so avg to say 480ish in a car that weighs 3800 plus pounds. The stock Z06's are putting down 430's or so stock and with a simple tune they were in the 470's and the car weighs 3200 something and is more aerodynamic.

Last edited by SOM02WS6; 07-23-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is a close race for 32K less. I'm not the one bashing anyone's cars here. I happen to like the G8 if I wanted a DD and the Z06 is a great car that I con't afford. I simply was comparing the modded SS to a stock Z06 and if you get 505rwhp compared to 420rwhp even with 600-700 more lbs. the Camaro should edge it out. I'm not trying to **** anyone off I just find it ignorant that somebody wants to bash a car that people own and enjoy because they don't like it. It's a great performer at a very reasonable price. The Camaro isn't meant to compete with the vette and their are a lot of people that prefer the Camaro over the vette, does that make them wrong?
Old 07-23-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 427C5
They already did this.
It's called a Corvette.

Frankly, I can't understand why anyone would buy a new Camaro over a C6, G8, or a C5.
i agree unless they make an LSA Z28. My C5 will be gone in a heartbeat. As for the, mod a 5th Gen to run rings around a C6Z, you've lost your mind. The 5th Gen may be able to hang down low with lots of mods but once the speed increases that Z will pull like a freight train. They are meant for higher speeds and they do it well A C5/C6, once they hunker down and get movin' they like to pull. The 5th Gen's are like pushing a brick, to square for higher speeds. Not saying they won't do it but not as easily as a Vette.

Last edited by Cole Train; 07-23-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dark ss
a lot of people that prefer the camaro over the vette, does that make them wrong?
...yes
Old 07-23-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not being confrontational at all. You are misdirected I guess.
Ok, maybe confrontational was not the right word. How bout this... you seem to be under the impression that 427 C5 and myself have the same opinion on the cars. you also seem to think that i am putting down the camaro, and you seem to think i am debating you somehow. See the below quotes for references to what i am talking about...

Seems like both of you guys are wrong again because the Camaro is selling quite well, better than the G8 ever did and the owners seem to love these cars. Because you don't see a need for it doesn't make others wrong.
How am i wrong? i never said any negative about the camaro. I love the camaro!! it is not my opinion that it is useless, that one would be better either picking a G8 or a vette, etc. I was merely relaying what 427C5 seemed to be saying, because it seemed as if some people didnt quite get it. I myself love the camaro, and am debating making it my next acquisition. i love the way they look, and really want to test drive one. I see myself in a new camaro with a twin screw blower (or a TVS 2300 if no twin screw option). YEAAHHHH baby!!!

Seems pretty good to me.
i was not quoting $38k for the set in stone price. As i recall, the last time i looked at camaro pricing, the one i was looking at was i believe $37 or so nicely equipped. Why are you acting as if $38k is so insane, when in the very next sentence you admit that they START at $31k?? Is it hard to imagine that adding a bunch of options could knock it up 6 or 7 grand???

As for assuming the slayer package will run down a Zo6, where do u get that from? did they post times of that package in the quarter? i dont recall seeing it, and if i did i dont recall. What were the times?
As far as comparing performance of a camaro and Zo6... if you mod up the camaro, yes it will be a contender in a straight line. however, if you also turn around and mod up the ZO6, it wont be much of a race anymore. As far as the squiggly roads go, i wouldnt even bother.

Dont take that as a knock against the camaro, though. A modded ZO6 is a world class performance car. there are very few vehicles in the world that can keep up with it that are under $150k. The camaro is a friggin monster for the price you pay. I like them alot.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well that's simple the C6 is 50K, the G8 is a family car and costs more for the same power train and the C5 is old technology. Not to mention not everyone wants a vette, can you even wrap your head around that?
A C5 is old technology??? Its the same technology that went into the C6, the C6 is basically a modded C5...

It is a close race for 32K less. I'm not the one bashing anyone's cars here. I happen to like the G8 if I wanted a DD and the Z06 is a great car that I con't afford. I simply was comparing the modded SS to a stock Z06 and if you get 505rwhp compared to 420rwhp even with 600-700 more lbs. the Camaro should edge it out. I'm not trying to **** anyone off I just find it ignorant that somebody wants to bash a car that people own and enjoy because they don't like it. It's a great performer at a very reasonable price. The Camaro isn't meant to compete with the vette and their are a lot of people that prefer the Camaro over the vette, does that make them wrong?
Why are you trying to compare strait line racing? The Corvette is a purpose made road racer, not some boring drag car. That extra money is going toward the superb chassis, brakes and suspension. If you are going to compare the cars do so on a real track (a road course).
Old 07-23-2009, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Just because they are built off the same platform doesnt mean they share the same dimensions.

The pontiac GXP is way more than a 1SS.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss1129
Just because they are built off the same platform doesnt mean they share the same dimensions.
The pontiac GXP is way more than a 1SS.
Do you know the difference in those dimensions?

I've been in both.
The Camaro is huge and has ZERO room inside.
The G8 is huge and has a gigantic interior and trunk.

They are both huge and fat.
At least one delivers some utility for all it's weight.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Camaro has 6 inches less length. Its 3 inches shorter and has a 2 inch shorter wheelbase.

The zeta platform isnt like an fbody platform. Its designed to accommodtate many styles and size vehicles.

As for them being huge and fat...well thats what you get when you want to meet 5 star saftey standards and be a muscle car. Tough titty. Dont like it, dont buy it.

Consider this though. In 2002 SS Camaros were going for $31k. Well today you can get a base SS for the same price thats build quality is 500 times that of the last f-body plus a rock solid motor and a rock solid trans....with a better ride...better styling better saftey (1078 air bags) (subjective) better stereo...ect ect. Better performance, better brakes....shall I go on?

For the same price as 8 years ago. Hmmm I cant tell if thats a deal or not. Oh well I guess I will frown every time I look in my garage and see a fat pig that replaced my 4th gen. To each his own.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
Ok, first off i am not talking to you in a confrontational or "know it all" manner or tone. SO calm down a bit, you seem as if you feel insulted or something. I just want to learn something here, and correct and misconceptions i may have.

1. The G8 has 3 models, correct? There is the entry level V-6, there is the GT which is the v-8 (forget the name of the motor) which is essentially a detuned LS3 with Active Fuel management (and does it have the cam phaser as well?), and then there is the GXP which is the LS3 V-8. Is that correct??

2. I didnt know they were using the LS2 in the G8. I thought the LS2 was pretty much only used in trucks now, but called either the lq4 or lq9. I thought motors for the 3 levels of g8's were... v-6, then detuned LS3 with AFM (called something else) like in the automatic Camaro SS, and then the LS3 in the GXP. Please correct me if i am wrong. I am not claiming to know alot about the G8. I like the car alot, but i dont own one nor have i read up on the details in a while.

3. this one has nothing to do with me, but i will field it.I think what 427 C5 is saying is that he feels there really isnt a need or niche for the camaro. If you want something with ***** (big motor), good performance, and is a practical Daily driver with room to seat 4 people the G8 is probably a better fit than the camaro. It is more practical, with dam near identical performance due to sharing the power train, and the chasiss\frame.
If you want big *****\motor, performance, and are not concerned with practicality or seating more then you and a single passenger, the vette is a better fit than the camaro. It performs far better, is lighter, faster, etc.

I think 427 C5 feels is that the camaro is a jack of all trades, master of none. that a person would be better served deciding which direction they want to take, what need they want to fill, and then pick either the G8 or the vette accordingly. The Camaro can fill both rolls, but is only "good" in each category and not "awesome" in a desired roll like the more specialized car.

if i am misrepresenting what you were saying, 427 C5, i am sorry.

Just correctional information. The Pontiac G8 comes with three motors. The V6 is the Cadillac V6 (which is the Oldsmobile "Aurora" V6 from the Aurora), the GT uses the Vortec 6.0l that was fitted with AFM from the Silverado/Escalade/Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/whatever other re brand there is of this truck. Yup truck engine in the G8. Holden has used it in the Commodore for years, never got the LS2 in Australia that I know of. The GXP model does get a detuned LS3.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

I can't wait to see where this goes over the next several years. I traded an 02' SS in on the 07' mustang and have been trying hand over fist to make it better than my SS M6 with full exhaust (verified in my mod list below lol). It already had better interior, ride and I won't say "suspension" because my SS had a different feel to it. You sat MUCH lower in the car and the visceral feel of the road was much more exaggerated in the f-body. The S197 was looser, more sedan-like riding and I had to spend a lot of money on suspension to get it riding/handling like the WS6 suspension in my buddies TA which was considerably better than my SS and the yardstick in my mind. Now it surpasses anything I've owned in handling/ride.

The new camaro sounds a lot like the new S197 mustang when I was looking at "muscle cars" to upgrade to in early 07'. A safe, heavier car with one hell of a powertrain (better than the S197's) big brakes which require large wheels (and large wheel expense) and a new suspension layout which may take years to optimize.

I like it! And I'm going to purchase one once I see the kinks worked out. I have a friend with a cammed LS2 C6 (see rrtx2007 vids on youtube) and have driven them but there is no way I would drive one every day. I need back seats and a reasonable ride height. I lowered the stang with HR race springs and tore my chin spoiler up so bad in a few days, then swapped to the Steeda comps..perfect.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Concerning "pushing a brick". There's a guy that competes in the 200mph class of the Silver State Classic with a body-kit S197. THAT's pushing a brick!!!

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

Originally Posted by Cole Train
i agree unless they make an LSA Z28. My C5 will be gone in a heartbeat. As for the, mod a 5th Gen to run rings around a C6Z, you've lost your mind. The 5th Gen may be able to hang down low with lots of mods but once the speed increases that Z will pull like a freight train. They are meant for higher speeds and they do it well A C5/C6, once they hunker down and get movin' they like to pull. The 5th Gen's are like pushing a brick, to square for higher speeds. Not saying they won't do it but not as easily as a Vette.

Quick Reply: 2ss l99 vehicle weighed.