Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

ACTUAL auto show concept camaro picture!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can you complain about it having a bit of a retro look. GM tried a new look in the past its called a GTO. A brand new look for the US and it bombed did it not? I can assure you that if the camaro went with a brand new look people would then say..."It looks nothing like a camaro" So come on now and pick what you want cause it seems that some people cant be happy with GM. So go ahead and get your big boat challenger thats 99.9% retro oh and talk about a pointy front end....have u not seen the pointed front end on the challenger? ha.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Man, I can't believe some of you guys dislike this car. Just for a moment, forget what name is on the car and how pissed off you are that GM killed the f-body. Take a look at the pics and video of that car, and understand that it is a LSX powered V8 coupe with rear wheel drive, and that it looks aggressive as hell. What isn't to like about it? I'd drive the hell out of that car as-is. Grilles and such can be swapped out by the aftermarket products anyways.

For all we know, you could be looking at the V6 base model in those pics. The Z28 or the SS could get even nicer grilles, lights, wheels, spoilers, paint schemes, etc...

You guys are being too critical, and are starting to sound like Corvette owners
AMEN!!

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
How can you complain about it having a bit of a retro look. GM tried a new look in the past its called a GTO. A brand new look for the US and it bombed did it not? I can assure you that if the camaro went with a brand new look people would then say..."It looks nothing like a camaro" So come on now and pick what you want cause it seems that some people cant be happy with GM. So go ahead and get your big boat challenger thats 99.9% retro oh and talk about a pointy front end....have u not seen the pointed front end on the challenger? ha.
damn, that is an awesome point. everyone bitches about the GTO not being a retro GTO, but now the camaro sux because it has retro cues
Old 01-08-2006, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

I am so onboard for this! I really like the looks of the concept and I want one! People do need to stop bitching, so what if it has retro cues? The 69 IMHO is the best looking Camaro ever, and there are a few cues from it you can see on the concept. The LS2 would be a great start, but I do hope GM offers the LS7 or maybe a new LSX engine for this.

So there are a few points to change, who ever has a car that doesn't? Someone is always going to have a different opinion, I wasn't thrilled with the 4th gen when they came out, now I love my 98 and wouldn't give her up. Everyone...chill..lets start getting behind GM on this, get them to build it, and then we start raping the hell out of Fords, Dodges, and the assorted rice-fest out there, because you know the aftermarket will be killing to get in on this new Camaro! Time for the Blue Bow Tie to make a comeback, and the time is NOW!
Old 01-08-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

I bet this thing will weigh 3500-ish seeing as it looks a tad smaller than an 05 Stang. If they dump and LS7 in this thing for 35-39 thousand. This will force a total reshuffling of the muscle car world. I would most definately buy that. And, the photoshops in the multimedia lounge are looking outfreakingstanding.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Default Front end

The grill has to go!The concept car that kid came up with would have been better.Hate to say it but if a cuda comes out in the mopar barn I might convert.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Teching In

The thing to rember here is that it needs to sell!!Period!!! AND it needs to out sell the competion. I have mixed emotions about it. BUT at the same time like it has been said before its a concept car not the real deal. I am sure it will be different when it rolls into production. I am just hoping and praying that GM is "FINALLY" listening to the public and not to the bean counters that have been running the show for GM for years now. If the new Camaro does sell and sales are great then hopefully they will build the Firebird(but thats probably just a dream). I rember in 93 when they first introduced the new Camaro for that year the comercial was great and then Pontiac came out a few years later with the Blackbird commercial, and WOW!! What an ad!!! So in the end all we can say is at last its comming back!! Be thankful for that.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

GM is gonna screw up like the GTO and overprice this thing from the start. $33k-$35k for the new 'camaro and Mustanks will still be selling in the $27k-$29k range. How many 18-25 year olds will be able to buy this new 'camaro when it comes out? They need to re-establish a young fanbase and with prices in the mid $30's that's not gonna happen. Like someone stated before markups are gonna kill this thing in thearly stages. Give me a a nice new F-body priced right along the lines of a Mustang and I am in. I drove by the local GM dealer yesterday for ***** and giggles and guess what? They had 2 '05 GTOs sitting on th elot. Price? $36k Meanwhile my cousin (Mustang lover) can't get a V8 Stang from his dealer because they still have a waiting list for the $28.5k Retro Mustang that he loves so much.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Yeah, thats will be a biggy. Pricing. They will have to be in the same area as the Mustang to compete.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FearThisGTA
Yeah, thats will be a biggy. Pricing. They will have to be in the same area as the Mustang to compete.
Not really, that depends on trim levels. Base pricing and entry level v8's should be inline with the base stangs but I think a 36-40K SS model with a "detuned for the vette guys" 450 HP LS7 to compete with the GT500 and Challenger SRT8 which is being talked about to have 500 HP. The Z28 will compete with the Mustang GT with a 5.3L v8 and V6 models of course. But a 450-500 HP LS7 SS model is a must to compete with the Shelby GT500 and Challenger SRT8
Old 01-08-2006, 11:17 AM
9 Second Club

I look at it this way. How many threads did I read about bitching and complaining about the F-Body production being shutdown. Now we have hope and I see persons post to let the F body rest? What a joke. Make it GM I have the $ ready to rock. Hell I just got my F body paid off last year And Tony is right, That could be a V6 or a base model. Cant wait to see what the future brings. Thanks F body Father. You kept your word.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Just because the GTO is a rebadged Monaro that looks like a Sunfire doesn't mean that it's only possible to make a retro car that has good styling.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Aggressive as hell, I love it. I like everything but the grill. That, I could change myself. Mean looking RWD LSx V8 w/ T56..........uh, sign me up right now.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Where is the video link.....could not find it on the link to Road and Track page.
Might be me but the new concept is too Mustang for my taste....Like the new Challenger better.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS30ANV
Where is the video link.....could not find it on the link to Road and Track page.
Might be me but the new concept is too Mustang for my taste....Like the new Challenger better.
right click, save as
Old 01-08-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
hmmm, looks pretty damn close to the clay model photos we posted a month ago. I'm glad it kept that look, I'll buy one (maybe two) as soon as it is available

You wont be the only one When this car comes out I'll be working full time for a couple years and out of school, for once in I get to own the car thats the on top of the game and not the **** 8+ years ago
Old 01-08-2006, 12:12 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Car looks interesting. Can that low roof design actually survive? Looks too low compared to the Challenger. The Challenger looks much more like a production car.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Firestorm....thanks!
Old 01-08-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

I hate those cowl hood's but other then that it looks pretty good I'll have to see a front end pic, to sway me from the challenger. now the picture above looks way better imo.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00'WS6Rocket
I hate those cowl hood's but other then that it looks pretty good I'll have to see a front end pic, to sway me from the challenger. now the picture above looks way better imo.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Teching In

WAYYYYY too fokkin retro...and 4 years after the mustang retro....FOK i wanted to see the NEXT GEN, i already have a 1st gen. and you can buy a new 69 in a crate now......why would ya buy this?

if you look at the camaros through the generations you can see the family linage and evolution to the current fourth gen. even the "catfish" grill in the 4th gen harkens back to the 70-73 second gens. the shape of the b-pilliar goes back to the second gens also. however the design was not retro, but a progression. this design is soley a retro design. as if you took a 69 and updated it for 2009. one of the most endering factors to the GM and even more the Chevrolet product lines is that in just about every model you can see the family linage and progression through evolution through the years. if you stacked every chevy truck year for year next to eachother you can follow it, same with the vette. even though the C6 uses some cues from earlier generation vettes, it also encompasses a further development of the C5 it replaced. this car does none of that for the Camaro. in a period where ford and dodge are using their past glory to trump sales (with the exception of the charger, cuz they are just using the name and trying like hell to make it cool) you would think GM would look forward and step away from the pack. the rendering that is posted earlier in this thread, altho not completly correct, is the direction i think that the boys at the bowtie works would and should go.

yes i am happy that they are talking big V-8 and rear wheel drive, that tickles me no end. however, if you are going to call it a name that has as much history as this one does then the shape and feel of the car should reflect that. and as pointed out earlier in this thread, by the time this hits production peole will have tired of the whole retro thing.
we should learn from history, not repeat it

Quick Reply: ACTUAL auto show concept camaro picture!