Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Back from Detroit and the Camaro unveil

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ace68
Also I belive that GM has an agreament with the Canadian Gov. to only build the Camaro and Firebird in Canada.
Well, GM closed the St. Therese plant to sever union ties, no? I don't think GM would be foolish enough to make that kind of agreement, but who knows for sure...What's so special about RWD platforms that US engineers can't figure out? Don't tell me that the Aussies are ahead of us in R&D on anything....I just don't buy that. (well, maybe kangaroo hunting.) It's just to borrow the GTO platform, and for $$$ (cost) reasons. They throw all union people to the sharks down under---and that's what GM wants to do!! WJ
Old 01-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
Well, GM closed the St. Therese plant to sever union ties, no? I don't think GM would be foolish enough to make that kind of agreement, but who knows for sure...
GM closed Ste Therese because of many reasons. The utmost is it was a 40 year old facility designed to build 250,000 cars a year. A company simply cant afford to run any plant at anything less than 80% capacity.

Don't tell me that the Aussies are ahead of us in R&D on anything....I just don't buy that. (well, maybe kangaroo hunting.) It's just to borrow the GTO platform, and for $$$ (cost) reasons.
It's got nothing to do with who was better. It's what GM has to do to remain competetive. They cant afford to have two sets of engineers doing the same thing, even if it's in different countries... and give the Holden guys props. The current GTO is a 7 or 8 year old platform, and it's pretty darn good.

GM made the decision to move RWD architecture developement to Australia. They are rolling the US engineers in with their Holden counterparts. The Chief Engineer (boss), Doug Houlihan, is from Detroit. He is moving there to oversee operations, along with the rest of his US staff.

As far as "borrowing". Nothing is being borrowed. The Camaro will be built on a brand new chasis. Period.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

the Asustrialinas are just as big into cars as we are, but of course they don't have the same restrictions we have here in the states so take them for granted.

The plant in canada was paid for with canadian tax payers dollars with the agrement that the firebird and camaro lines would be built there and only there. I don't know if by eliminating that line in 02 made that contract null and void. I think if GM builds the Camaro somewhere else the canadian government may have something to say about that but well see as long as they get it built right.

did you see this yet?
Old 01-13-2006, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Interior look like ****. The Challenger look much better. I'm sure GM put a whole $0.03 into R&D. They should learn their lesson from the POS GTO.
What a F ing turd that is. You couldn't sell that car with a complimentary blow from Carmen Electra. They are running at 50% below target GTO sales, geez what a shocker
Old 01-13-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice T/A. LOL. Check this out-
Same pic, but I did a little work on it. I don't know which of these would work, so I put them all on.

[img=http://img305.imageshack.us/img305/1908/taws68sk.th.jpg]

A link to the image-http://img305.imageshack.us/img305/1908/taws68sk.jpg

I don't think the Canadian Governement can do s*** about it being made in Austrailia(sorry for spelling mistakes, if any) or here. Why? Cause GM made a concept Camaro that was anemd a "Camaro". If they didn't get in a hoot about the concept, then they can't say that GM isn't allowed to have it made except in Canada because they already let us build one. Thereby taking away their right to argue when they let it happen before. They would seem very hypocritcal of they way that they act. They didn't share any interest ,as far as I know, for the concept, but ooooh, now it's going to be put into production, they want their cut of the deal.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn that thing is sweet. I love the wide open grille. I almost don't like the squared off front (300m/mustangish) but it curls down a little and looks like a giant ram air. I never figured on buying a brand new car, but man I would love to pull that one off...ls? motor rwd 6spd vert? I'd have to hit a jackpot first, but hey I'm still working on that part
Old 01-13-2006, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Well, GM closed the St. Therese plant to sever union ties, no? I don't think GM would be foolish enough to make that kind of agreement, but who knows for sure...What's so special about RWD platforms that US engineers can't figure out? Don't tell me that the Aussies are ahead of us in R&D on anything....I just don't buy that. (well, maybe kangaroo hunting.) It's just to borrow the GTO platform, and for $$$ (cost) reasons. They throw all union people to the sharks down under---and that's what GM wants to do!! WJ
well ironically it is illegal for a civlian to own any type of firearm in australia... and u ask what do they about rwd cars?well do u ever hear of snow in australia
Old 01-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this concept (see pic's) is more retro if that’s what they’re going for.
I don’t like that front end on the 09.
Still I’m saving final judgment till see one in person....
In my rear view mirror.

The T/A looks cool but notice how they put the right "t/a" front on it.

I'm still pissed that GM lied to me and said that 02 was the last f-bod.
I ordered one on the very last day they were available just because of that.
Hay liar’s I want my money back. (but I'm keeping the car, looks good next to my 71)
Think the new one will do 13.2 bone stock, mine did.
What does the new mustang do stock. Bet the new camaro will do in the 12's with the ls2 if they keep the weight down.
Attached Thumbnails Back from Detroit and the Camaro unveil-0309phr-5camaro07_z.jpg   Back from Detroit and the Camaro unveil-0309phr-5camaro04_z.jpg   Back from Detroit and the Camaro unveil-0309phr-5camaro05_z.jpg   Back from Detroit and the Camaro unveil-0602_mjd_chevy_camaro_01_900.jpg  
Old 01-13-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

ChrisL ...........thanks for the vid...that show is actually pretty good sometimes,although it can get kinda corny at times......good explanations for people who don't realize what goes into a certain product before release....do you get that in Chester...??? I thoght it funny when the explanation for the headlights was given...twice he said " not scary though "....
Old 01-13-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by TTSSZ
I think this concept (see pic's) is more retro if that’s what they’re going for.
I don’t like that front end on the 09.
Still I’m saving final judgment till see one in person....
In my rear view mirror.

The T/A looks cool but notice how they put the right "t/a" front on it.

I'm still pissed that GM lied to me and said that 02 was the last f-bod.
I ordered one on the very last day they were available just because of that.
Hay liar’s I want my money back. (but I'm keeping the car, looks good next to my 71)
Think the new one will do 13.2 bone stock, mine did.
What does the new mustang do stock. Bet the new camaro will do in the 12's with the ls2 if they keep the weight down.
This is the car I have been waiting for....NOT the "new concept".....although I realize it will probably look different...I hope... [ the pics didn't show up.??] [the ORANGE car above...]
Old 01-13-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

I hope they build it. In the U.S.--or I wouldn't buy one. I don't need a re-skinned Australian GTO. I'd rather buy a used $32-34K American made '02-'04 Z06 Corvette..... (and convert it to a automatic w/3.73's!) WJ
Old 01-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
This is the car I have been waiting for....NOT the "new concept".....although I realize it will probably look different...I hope... [ the pics didn't show up.??] [the ORANGE car above...]

Link

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...09phr_5camaro/
Old 01-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

the more i look at Kris Horton's design, the less i like it, compared to the actual concept car, it looks too.. cartoony... i don't hate it, i just don't think it'd work as an actual car
Old 01-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Teching In

I know some of you guys must have seen this article from a few months back. It goes into pretty good detail on the reasons on why and how the next gen Camaro could come to fruition. Also gives you the history on the Canada plant.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...409phr_camaro/

As far as I am concerned they could build it on Mars for all I care, just as long as they build it!
Old 01-14-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ace68
the Asustrialinas are just as big into cars as we are, but of course they don't have the same restrictions we have here in the states so take them for granted.

The plant in canada was paid for with canadian tax payers dollars with the agrement that the firebird and camaro lines would be built there and only there. I don't know if by eliminating that line in 02 made that contract null and void. I think if GM builds the Camaro somewhere else the canadian government may have something to say about that but well see as long as they get it built right.

did you see this yet?
Now that, I would probably take the pontiac over the chevy. Wow that's the nicest looking t/a ever if they would make it.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

I'd rather buy a used $32-34K American made '02-'04 Z06 Corvette..... (and convert it to a automatic w/3.73's!) WJ
I like the way U think!
Old 01-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
do you get that in Chester...???
no, I snagged it off their website when I saw it.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChrisL
Ah **** Jeff stole my Camaro Sweatshirt

Quick Reply: Back from Detroit and the Camaro unveil