Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: What type of rear shall we have?
IRS...good for road racing and fine for dragging
51.04%
Make mine a solid rear...I like to run around with my shoe laces tied together!!!
48.96%
Voters: 337. You may not vote on this poll

Maro...IRS or Solid Rear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, you can all stop arguing now. It's official, gonna be IRS. Hopefully they will make it light.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no more str8 line, sucks for all the guys who voted solid axle.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I voted solid axle eventhough I know they are going IRS. I will just replace it with a Strange 12 bolt. Hopefully they don't make them only available in glass top and convertible. I want a hardtop, no A/C, no power options, and with cloth interior. Hopefully they will cater to some of us drag racers!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

z28 should be straight axle and the SS should be IRS with a big motor
Old 08-10-2006, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Matt D
I voted solid axle eventhough I know they are going IRS. I will just replace it with a Strange 12 bolt. Hopefully they don't make them only available in glass top and convertible. I want a hardtop, no A/C, no power options, and with cloth interior. Hopefully they will cater to some of us drag racers!
im so right behind you on this
Old 08-10-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Z/28 was a road racer and thus deserves IRS...as does every sports car and camaro for that matter. Thank Jesus the Luddites did not win!!!

W
Old 08-10-2006, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Actually, it says we have a few more sophisticated drivers here who want a better ride for the street, where 99.9% of us drive.
You all need to get some better streets, LOL!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

I don't think we should worry too much about IRS, BMR does offer stuff for the gto to eliminate wheel hop, not to mention i'm sure there will be some solid rear axle swap in the aftermarket. besides most who go all out drag racing usually upgrade the rear at some point.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

IRS is a go for the Camaro, if it's good enough for the Z06 it's good enough for Me... IRS should be sufficent for those of us performance enthusiasts who haven't transformed our cars into a track only drag car, IRS makes much more sense because it appeals to a wider range of buyers, although WE current F-Body owners deal with the harsh ride, road noise, creaking, squeaking, rattling etc. The Wide Range of Buyers would rather have something more refined, thus the problem with the 4th Gens. Sure it was the fastest car in it's price range... but it was ruff riding, noisy, and had subjective styling, you loved it or hated it. My Camaro is a ruff car, it's no BMW... but I love the performance, price and look, if I wanted something that rode like a Luxury Car I would buy a Luxury car, and if I wanted something that wasn't loud and sometimes annoy Me with rattles I would buy a Cavalier. And the 4th Gen appealed to Me and most of us who own one.

The 5th GEN must appeal to a broader spectrum of buyers, as well as please the performance enthusiast and IRS makes that much easier. Most V6 and some V8 Buyers buy the car for the look and feel, not for the performance. So they would be perfectly happy with a V6 that wasn't the fastest thing around, as long as it looked cool and performed nicely which includes ride quality. The 5th Gen will be many peoples daily drivers, so it has to be more practical. If the Mustang can sell 20,000 dollar + peices of crap that are slow and over populated, but "look cool" and "ride nice" I'm sure the Camaro can sell with IRS.

The challenge is not pissing off those of us who want performance both straight-line and cornering, and appealing to the Soccer Mom who wants to look good and have something practical. Those of us who are going to turn the car into an allout street machine will just have to swap if IRS isn't working out, but who's really gonna turn a 5th Gen into a drag car when you can do it to a third or 4th (instert random body)... and not have to buy a new car?

Personally I plan on doing exhaust, intake, and other bolt-ons, and I'm leaving it to GM to make sure it's fast enough from the factory not to need major modification to perform well against competitors. My 5th Gen will be practical, my 4th Gen will have a 383 LS1 and a twin turbo.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Renegade

The 5th GEN must appeal to a broader spectrum of buyers, as well as please the performance enthusiast and IRS makes that much easier. Most V6 and some V8 Buyers buy the car for the look and feel, not for the performance. So they would be perfectly happy with a V6 that wasn't the fastest thing around, as long as it looked cool and performed nicely which includes ride quality. The 5th Gen will be many peoples daily drivers, so it has to be more practical. If the Mustang can sell 20,000 dollar + peices of crap that are slow and over populated, but "look cool" and "ride nice" I'm sure the Camaro can sell with IRS.

The challenge is not pissing off those of us who want performance both straight-line and cornering, and appealing to the Soccer Mom who wants to look good and have something practical. Those of us who are going to turn the car into an allout street machine will just have to swap if IRS isn't working out, but who's really gonna turn a 5th Gen into a drag car when you can do it to a third or 4th (instert random body)... and not have to buy a new car?
for you!!
This needs to go into every insane "z0mg camaro needs a 4 turbo ls7 or it should have 23 rims" etc thread.

Pony cars worked so well because they are sporty cool and you can live with them. The camaro started cutting out liveble for fast. That's good to us, but most ppl dont care.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:55 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd rather have IRS just for the ride and handling... I would like something more than a drag car.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
I'd rather have IRS just for the ride and handling... I would like something more than a drag car.
You've got your wish. It is officially going to be IRS. I suppose this thread is now moot.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a pony car so it should be made to take turns.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

id like to see both with IRS as an option. those who only want a solid rar an have it and those who like road racing and such can have their IRS. perfect for both parties
Old 08-20-2006, 11:23 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by black_knight
You've got your wish. It is officially going to be IRS. I suppose this thread is now moot.
Yeah, I already knew. If it's anything like the GTO it should be amazing.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I already knew. If it's anything like the GTO it should be amazing.
Amazingly heavy and prone to breakage, you mean!

Here's hoping they make it stronger, LOL.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:20 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Amazingly heavy and prone to breakage, you mean!

Here's hoping they make it stronger, LOL.
Seems to have worked for me pretty good so far on the GTO, and they're gonna engineer the Camaro for over 500 hp...
Old 08-21-2006, 12:30 AM
12 Second Club

Seems to have worked for me pretty good so far on the GTO
You're stock, aren't you?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:44 AM
teh PuRpL3z

You're stock, aren't you?
Depends on which car you're talking about.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:10 AM
12 Second Club

Depends on which car you're talking about.
Your GTO, I mean.

Quick Reply: Maro...IRS or Solid Rear?