Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

"Why the New Camaro Will Fail"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by wamp42
Ford's top model is the Mustang. GM's top model is the Corvette. Corvette was first. Mustang followed. Enough said.
So true, Ford couldn't compete performance wise with GM's second best vehicle and they are no where near the Z06.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
So true, Ford couldn't compete performance wise with GM's second best vehicle and they are no where near the Z06.
Pretty sure the Ford GT can compete and exceed the Z06 But hey thats my opinion
Old 07-02-2006, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

im eagerly waiting the new camaro, because after the camaro im sure there will be a TRANS AM. and with a collage grad present comming in 2009, (hopefully im trying) i will be first in line for a new TA
Old 07-02-2006, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 69mach
Pretty sure the Ford GT can compete and exceed the Z06 But hey thats my opinion
Not in price and in stock form, it's a driver's race
Old 07-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Not in price and in stock form, it's a driver's race
what he said

the GT barely outperforms the Z06.. and for what.. at least twice the price..

and the Z06 is a practicle car.. isnt the GT like practically a stripped down race car?
Old 07-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FireStorm
what he said

the GT barely outperforms the Z06.. and for what.. at least twice the price..

and the Z06 is a practicle car.. isnt the GT like practically a stripped down race car?
No, the GT is a supercar, which the corvette will never be. And for the class it is in (porsche, Lambo, etc.) it is a cheap car.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the GT is a supercar, which the corvette will never be. And for the class it is in (porsche, Lambo, etc.) it is a cheap car.
The GT is also gone (sad to say). And the Z06, supercar or not, is still the 2nd fastest production car ever on the Nurnburgering--which has seen every production supercar ever built.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LTSpeed
The GT is also gone (sad to say). And the Z06, supercar or not, is still the 2nd fastest production car ever on the Nurnburgering--which has seen every production supercar ever built.
GT wasnt ment to be in production for long, it was to get Ford's name out in Europe again in performance. Pretty sure the new Z06 isnt the 2nd fastest production car. I am absolutely sure it isnt faster than Z06. Trust me the Z06 isnt THAT fast. And im not disrespecting the Z06 in any way I luv the performance for the price. But when you start saying that it is faster than almost every super car.....sorry BS
Old 07-02-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

GT wasnt ment to be in production for long, it was to get Ford's name out in Europe again in performance. Pretty sure the new Z06 isnt the 2nd fastest production car. I am absolutely sure it isnt faster than Z06. Trust me the Z06 isnt THAT fast. And im not disrespecting the Z06 in any way I luv the performance for the price. But when you start saying that it is faster than almost every super car.....sorry BS
even the guys on top gear were highly impressed with the C6 Z06 vette's performance and they look for EVERY excuse to dog domestic cars. It is known that it outperforms the GT in almost every category except braking or something like that. And, look at how the Z stacks up against the supercars and then look at the price too (which the vette kicks *** in that category). Just my .02 cents...

Last edited by LS1Aggie09; 07-02-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

look at the numbers.. the C6 Z06 does compete with the so called "supercars".. and for a lot cheaper..
Old 07-02-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found this to be a good read and got something out of it. I do not agree 100% and yes some of the #s were a bit off.

I do see alot of logic to his point, and I would not rule out the new camaro being a bomb, not just on what this guy said but for the reasons he listed and others.

Time will tell.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pretty sure the new Z06 isnt the 2nd fastest production car. I am absolutely sure it isnt faster than Z06. Trust me the Z06 isnt THAT fast. But when you start saying that it is faster than almost every super car.....sorry BS
BS this...

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...1&page=1&pp=15

There's better info out there on it, but I don't have time to look it up right now (maybe someone else does).

And nobody ever said it was faster than every other supercar--just on this one circuit. An $80K car shouldn't even be close. But don't get hung up on the 505hp. It's that the Z06 is very good at putting that power to the road--and many "supercars" aren't.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LTSpeed
BS this...

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...1&page=1&pp=15

There's better info out there on it, but I don't have time to look it up right now (maybe someone else does).

And nobody ever said it was faster than every other supercar--just on this one circuit. An $80K car shouldn't even be close. But don't get hung up on the 505hp. It's that the Z06 is very good at putting that power to the road--and many "supercars" aren't.
Oh my God im so impressed I tell ya what go and do research on what a supercar is, instead of emberassing yourself. I agreed with you that the Z06 is very close to the GT. And since when did this become a $$ forum? Everytime I bring up a Ford GT all I hear is how much it cost. Well its a rare car that Ford only produced for 2 years, and were planning on producing for only 2 years!!!! Im pretty sure if a "well off" guy had the money to spend on a GT or a Z06 he would choose the GT b/c not of only how awesome it performs but what the car represents not only to U.S. History but is also an international Icon. I'm not and will not disrespect the Z06 in any way, i mean yes its a very good bang for the buck but sorry any NORMAL person on the road sees a Z06 they just say "look a corvette" but if they saw a GT they would prob be like "D**N what the heck is that"
Notice how I said normal people b/c if I see a Z06 I drool a lil bit.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

...i mean yes its a very good bang for the buck but sorry any NORMAL person on the road sees a Z06 they just say "look a corvette" but if they saw a GT they would prob be like "D**N what the heck is that"
Notice how I said normal people b/c if I see a Z06 I drool a lil bit.
I don't think we disagree on much, if anything. But to class a car as a supercar based on how rare it is would make Steve Urkel's car (a Fisetta?) a supercar. I'm not sure what the proper definition is, but I get impressed when a "normal" car can hang with the traditional high performance icons. The really cool thing is that many cars on LS1Tech would blow the stock C6/Z06 away. They're not supercars, but still pretty awesome nonetheless.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Urkel's car was a BMW Isetta.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

The camaro's only problem is going to be price. I can see gm selling a base model v8 starting around 35k.

A 06 Monte SS STARTS AT 27K with no options and the 06 mustang base v8 starts around 26k A little CHEAPER than what my trans am cost new in 98 given its a better performer, higher option package and i love it, but still that was almost ten years ago

I still love my chevys and thats what ill race, but for my DD:

About the time the new camaro comes out I'll be ready for a new car, If can get almost the same performance for 10K less out of a mustang, sorry gm i like my money more than i like brand loyalty nice knowing ya. besides if i wasnt worried about money i'd be buying a challenger for $4?k

Last edited by 98TA_vert; 07-05-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Also the name will sale I mean "Shelby GT500" or a "Camaro LS7" ..... which one would a broad range of people know and want? Just my opinion but i think its a good one..
Hmmm...A supercharged DOHC 330 cube v-8 makes a mustang a Shelby GT500...while an all-aluminum pushrod NA 427 in a camaro has no history?

Anyone ever hear of the COPO ZL1...anyone?
Old 07-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98TA_vert
The camaro's only problem is going to be price. I can see gm selling a base model v8 starting around 35k.

A 06 Monte SS STARTS AT 27K with no options and the 06 mustang base v8 starts around 26k A little CHEAPER than what my trans am cost new in 98 given its a better performer, higher option package and i love it, but still that was almost ten years ago

I still love my chevys and thats what ill race, but for my DD:

About the time the new camaro comes out I'll be ready for a new car, If can get almost the same performance for 10K less out of a mustang, sorry gm i like my money more than i like brand loyalty nice knowing ya. besides if i wasnt worried about money i'd be buying a challenger for $4?k
your TA was supposed to be in a higher market than the mustang.. should really only compare camaros and mustangs

and i don't see any reason why the base v8 camaro will be over 30,000.. everyone keeps saying that, but there is no evidence either way
Old 07-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kdstang
Hmmm...A supercharged DOHC 330 cube v-8 makes a mustang a Shelby GT500...while an all-aluminum pushrod NA 427 in a camaro has no history?

Anyone ever hear of the COPO ZL1...anyone?
Wow you really are SLOW Nobody ever said the 427 in a camaro had no history. I said the NAME will sale better to a BROAD range of people. Me and everyone on this post know that if you were to go out in public and ask a random group of people if they have ever heard of........ a COPO ZL1 or Shelby GT500? Almost everyone will know what a Shelby GT500 is over a COPO ZL1, but what do I know
Old 07-05-2006, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

If you go into a group of normal people, 95% will not know what either are, however, if you ask a group of people who like cars but don't know a whole lot about them (maybe they can change their own oil and that's about it), they would probably know the GT500 over a COPO.

Quick Reply: "Why the New Camaro Will Fail"?