Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Top of the line named Z28 instead of SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike#9
How do you figure? They Z never came with a bigger engine/or one that made more power. The SS had the option for the 396....and with yenko/copo's you could get a 427. The Z28 was never a more powerful car, or a faster car.
Having owned both 396 SS and 302 cross-ram COPO-Jl8 (although it was a Z-28 it was not badged as such) , I can tell you straight-up my 396 could NOT hang with my 302 either on the short or long...Damn that was a long time ago I wish I had both those cars today!!!

Maggie Stewart
Tripple S and Stewart Racing
Old 08-04-2006, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My father & I built a '69 Z-28 from the ground up, and while doing so I did a tremendous amount of research on the Z-28 package. To me, a car that came with no a/c, had the option of all 4 disc brakes, hurst 4 speeds, and 302's that shifted around 7grand from the factory seems much more like a race car. I love all Camaros so I'm not going to debate but the 302's of the day were HIGHLY underrated as were most of GM's powerplants. HP figures in the high 300's were not uncommon for bone stock Z-28s.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CT ITALIAN 1
My father & I built a '69 Z-28 from the ground up, and while doing so I did a tremendous amount of research on the Z-28 package. To me, a car that came with no a/c, had the option of all 4 disc brakes, hurst 4 speeds, and 302's that shifted around 7grand from the factory seems much more like a race car. I love all Camaros so I'm not going to debate but the 302's of the day were HIGHLY underrated as were most of GM's powerplants. HP figures in the high 300's were not uncommon for bone stock Z-28s.
LOL...exactly! My little 302 came form the factory with one windshild wiper NO radio, NO heater, NO carpet, disk brakes, a Rock Crusher and a clutch that darn near took both feet to push in!!! ...You bet it was a factory race car. Shoot it was just starting to strech it's legs at 7500 RPM!
Old 08-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69mach
Agree completely with you I think it's BS what GM is doing to the SS symbol. When I think of SS I think of a big cubed, high hp, bad A$$ GM product not a freakin trailblazer or Cobalt

hmmmm.......so how do we explain all those in-line 6 cylinder engines in the Impala SS in the mid sixties-- or the 6 cyl Nova SS......or for that matter, the 283 Chevelle SS of 1964 and 1965? (most SS models of the 60s did NOT have big block engines......the full size cars were available for most years with 6 or any 8 cyl engine.

Also....you may want to drive a Trailblazer SS-- at 395 HP, I wouldn't call it a shrinking violet........
Old 08-04-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
hmmmm.......so how do we explain all those in-line 6 cylinder engines in the Impala SS in the mid sixties-- or the 6 cyl Nova SS......or for that matter, the 283 Chevelle SS of 1964 and 1965? (most SS models of the 60s did NOT have big block engines......the full size cars were available for most years with 6 or any 8 cyl engine.

Also....you may want to drive a Trailblazer SS-- at 395 HP, I wouldn't call it a shrinking violet........
Good point ... Hmmm, someone knows his chevys!!!

Oh man, I used to love those 6 banger Novas... Those cars were way fun to hot rod. Maybe GM could call their new high end iteration the Camarova Z-28 SS and put in a 501 inline 6
Old 08-05-2006, 04:04 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
You're not a part of that stupid Z07 crowd, are you?
Nope, just think that Stingray is the wrong way to go. That moniker applied to the entire lineup, not a specific model or even a top performance model.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

k, so end of debate :-). SS = show car/cruiser w/ performance options. Z/28 = factory built race car. The '09 top of the line model should be a Z-28. but w/e they call it, it better eat up that new Cobra.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CT ITALIAN 1
k, so end of debate :-). SS = show car/cruiser w/ performance options. Z/28 = factory built race car. The '09 top of the line model should be a Z-28. but w/e they call it, it better eat up that new Cobra.
Top of the line does not necessarily equal the fastest. A stripped-out race car IMO does not fall into anywhere at all on "the line," not even at the top of it. The original "Z" wasn't a part of the model lineup at all. It was something unique.

I'm not arguing for any "side" by saying this; just presenting the facts.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

Default i agree

i agree on the z28 being top of the line instead of ss but still i dare u to go test drive a trailblazer ss it has a corvette motor that puts out 395 hp and hauls a$$
Old 08-06-2006, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WECIV
Z/28 should always be the top dog!!! Good job, now just give it an LS7!!!

W
HELL YEAH!!! If its got an LS7 option all I can say is good bye T/A and Hello $40,000 debt
Old 08-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 69mach
Don't wanna start anything but SVT isnt over used Lightning, Cobra, Ford GT......These are all bad *** vehicles with very good performance. Sorry I know its off topic but I have to defend Ford when I can
SVT Focus.... SVT Contour.....
Old 08-06-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

The SS should be the top name for the Camaro. Why? Because it will cost the most. A Z/28 is essentially a race car. To me, GM shouldn't be using a stripped-down car as their "top of the line" car. The SS will be the top name because it always has been. The SS badge is even known by non-car enthusiasts as a performance car. Only the people that really know what's going on can tell you what the Z/28 was used for. It's just a selling point to keep the SS as the top name.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

If your gettin' a new camaro and you wanna be fast you hafta get da ram air.

lol.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, here's my 2 cents: The SS has always been "top-of-the-line" whatever car it was attached to. So, if you're buying a "sports car" and you want the best one they have, you want a… stay with me now, Super Sport! When there was no SS it was probably because there was nothing "Super" about the Camaro at that time. The Z/28 originated as a factory race car. A bare-bones, under-the-radar, blow-the-other-guy's-doors-off, stock race car. I get the feeling that the Z/28 guys out there are suffering from "badge envy." Personally, I don't take my car to the dragstrip so, I wouldn't want a factory race car. I want what I've got: a top-of-the-line sports car. You Z/28 guys should be proud of your heritage and stop wanting to have your cake and eat it too. Maybe you'd be happy with your own moniker. How about a Camaro SRC (Stock Race Car)? Or maybe we just get rid of both monikers and call all Camaros "Berlinettas".
Old 08-07-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

I hope we see the Z/28 on top again.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't think that will happen…
Old 08-08-2006, 12:16 AM
12 Second Club

i know if chevyrolet does make a damn corvette SS i am done with the brand..i will be pontiac for LIFE!!!

anytime a remanufactured cavlier gets SS badges just PISSES ME OFFF...and if a corvette cant stand on its own heritage then GM needs to think about that..seriously
Old 08-08-2006, 03:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
i know if chevyrolet does make a damn corvette SS i am done with the brand

corvette SS would suck
Old 08-08-2006, 08:34 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
anytime a remanufactured cavlier gets SS badges just PISSES ME OFFF
Why? Because its faster, stops and handles better, than most 60's and 70's SS cars? Heck, might as well throw in 80's and 90's version of the SS also.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

GM has ruined the SS name. It was known as RWD with some nice power under the hood. Now-a-days, GM has decided to put the SS badge on anything Chevy except a Corvette (which there are talks that they will). They got the SS badge on FWD, AWD...it just makes me sick that they ruined such a great heritage that was known as RWD. Now I wish that they would completely just do away with the SS badge (or at least take it off of FWD and AWD models) and come up with their own name for each top-of-the-line cars. We all know the top of the line Corvette is the Z06. We all know the top of the line Camaro is the Z28. Because when somebody says "Z06" or "Z28" you know what you immediately think of (Corvette; Camaro). When somebody says "SS" today, you think of every damn near Chevy and then some (Cobalt, Impala, Malibu/Maxx, Monte Carlo, Silverado, TrailBlazer). See, I love the heritage SS cars because they meant something. They meant RWD with a lot of power, whether it be a 6 or an 8. Today, I just shake my head because the name has been ruined. That's just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Top of the line named Z28 instead of SS