Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

What Technology Do You Want To See In The 2009 Camaro??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Technology Do You Want To See In The 2009 Camaro??

Maybe this thread has already been made, so sorry if it has!!!!!!!

Like Navigation, back up camera, front and side curtain air bags, XM, OnStar, DVD player, iPod hook up, remote car start, fingerprint scanner (under door handle. Personally, I think they should all be optional. If you want a car that comes with seats, a steering wheel, gas pedal, possibly a brake pedal lol, then you should be able to get that. I would get:

Navigation cause that screen and computer can function most of the cars basic controls anyways. You can control the audio, AC/Heat, Map/Guide, and also if you have a back up camera, it would show through here. I've driven accords with Navigation (new accords) and that NAV hangles everything touch screen and its nice. Less buttons, *****, controls, really cleans it up. I think would be a cool idea is to have like the Oil pressue, Air/Fuel ratio, fuel, water pressue, water temp, oil temp, all those gauges built into the NAV so you can see it all on the screen. Of course still havin regular gauges would be cool.

All the safety I can get. I know some people on here say "screw air bags, it looks cooler." Idk, but I worry more about some moron crashing into me and killing me then whether my steering wheel looks cool. Also remote start would be nice and the iPod hook up. The rest isn't really my taste.

To me, in todays market, this Camaro cant just be all muscle and no brains. People do more with their cars today then just go to the track, they are daily drivers. Just seeing what other think!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Side airbags are becoming alot more common, so it wouldn't suprise me to see those.
XM & OnStar will definitely be there, I'm 100% positive of that.
Remote start system I'd say is a high probability, as is a navigation system.
MP3 capable radio with auxilary input is also probably a high probability.
Originally Posted by nikeair042
To me, in todays market, this Camaro cant just be all muscle and no brains. People do more with their cars today then just go to the track, they are daily drivers. Just seeing what other think!
I agree 100% with that!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Lame Excuse for a Photog

I agree, they should offer all the stuff you just suggested. However i also think its important that they offer a stripper car with no power options. They also need to find some way to market this car as a nice sedate DD with ***** to back up the look.

I think they HAVE to offer and make a big noise about displacement on demand or the car is doomed.

Some kind of bluetooth speakerphone integration would also be a nice touch. As would an optional Hard Drive based sound system. The most important thing here to me is to offer luxury car fit and feature for a regular car price. They need to bring GM back in to the public eye in a good way and this car gives them a chance to do it.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

A6 with paddleshifters.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as little as possible to keep the cost down! i wanna see:

- power windows, locks, brakes, steering, mirrors, seats
- leather w/heated seats
- t-tops would be nice...
- traction control, competition mode
- A6 transmission w/mode to shift it manually (no paddle shift, i want a shift lever like in the A4's, just with 6 speeds)
- GPS would be nice but only if it's cost-feasible
- On-Star as long as it's free for a long period of time
- keyless entry, car alarm

that about does it for my requirements

i just wanna see those pretty standard options (by today's standards), but i wanna see a LOT of gauges! i wanna see a fuel gauge, voltage gauge, speedometer, odometer, tachometer, trans temp gauge, air/fuel ratio gauge, MPG estimator gauge, oil pressure gauge, water temperature gauge...all accurate.

all those on-board computer, rear camera, DVD/TV system and all that garbage does NOT belong in a car IMO. all it all does is distract the driver and make costs skyrocket.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Along with the above, we need to have SEVERAL available stereo systems. I believe this is one of the items that will help bring it into the public's eye. Look at the mustang, they have stereos from the very basic to just rediculous. This will keep us from having to hack up our cars to install a useable stereo. Definately needs a navigation type system with integrated touch screen controls. Auxilary inputs, hard drive and or flash card hookup. I believe the DOD is a MUST for marketing purposes. Most of us will disable it, but for the mainstream public it will almost be required by 2009. 400 horsepower with a 6 speed and 34/35 miles per gallon would sell alot more cars than us horsepower junkies would think. Another option I think would be nice for most would be the adjustable magnetic shocks.

I doubt all of this will be found on a "pony" car, but I am guessing it would help sales. I am not saying I need all this....I just want the camaro to come back and stay. This means we have to aim options for the general public that would buy the car...not the 1/4 mile crowd.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:40 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

SIRIUS satellite radio.. (**** XM!)
Old 08-22-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Please make everything AN OPTION.

I still like the no option stripper cars. Cars weight and cost to much these days!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Def, everything should be an option, but a lot of stuff will be standard on the higher end model. The V6 will have the cloth seats and missing a few toys, while the V8 boys get the leather, power everything, but thats as far as I think it should go. I dont want XM or OnStar, so i dont wanna pay for that. Thats what I hated when looking at a cobalt ss. Came with XM radio, but not side curtain air bags. Tell me how that makes sense? I'll take safety over radio lol
Old 08-22-2006, 05:58 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by NO-OPTION-2002
Please make everything AN OPTION.

I still like the no option stripper cars. Cars weight and cost to much these days!
Don't expect to be able to get one without power windows or A/C. The downfall of stripper cars is that they don't sell many of them, and it requires them to engineer additional parts... like for example.. if you wanted one with crank windows, it would require them to make two different window track mechanisms... and the weight savings of one over the other is negligible.

I'd expect certain amenities... like power accessories, A/C, power locks, cruise control, etc... to come standard on it. If it's a case where the majority of the buyers would want it, I'd expect it to come standard.

It's not going to be a case of "what do you want" more than it is going to be a case of "what is most cost effective for GM".
Old 08-22-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to see illuminated gauges similar to the current Accord and Civic--but laid out like in the Camaro Concept. Other than that, anything that'll keep the weight down.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Carburetor
Old 08-22-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I along with others would like to see:
- heated seats
-T-tops
-Navigation
-XM
-Onstar
-steering wheel controls for (radio,etc.)
-Driver Information Center ( MPG,cooling temps, etc.)
-Paddle shift 6 speed auto ( like corvette)
-Premuim sound with subwoofer
-Remote start
-Keyless Entry

Car should weigh 3500 pounds even with this extra stuff.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Teching In

I think by the time it comes outi it should have HID's, i-pod integration (not just an aux jack), side airbags will be standard, and useful accurate guages - oil temp/press, engine temp, trans temp maybe.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:39 AM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

Nice lookin gages.
Sweet sound audio
IPOD hook up or smiliar
Bluetooth in stereo since so many places are making cell phone use while driving illegal.
Leather NOT HEATED
T-tops would be very nice I love the T-tops means I dont have to run my A/C
Roll cage JK

I Just want it to look color as far as color goes, sweet pipe sound along with the audio kick *** and lots of GO.

MPG mmm it would be nice but as someone told me once
Being worried about MPG on a sports car is like being married to a fat woman and being worried about the grocery bill.

Oh and a decent price as can be..
But then again dealers are selling those POS GT500 for $60k+
Old 08-23-2006, 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe by 2009 they will have some new **** where you won't have to get out of the car, take the tops off, put them in the trunk get back in. Maybe they can make something much easier to open/close while driving. If it's cloudy, im not takin my tops off. If they couldnt do that, i would want a sun roof then.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

DOD and at least a 5 spd auto. I would love to see a 1LE also.

screw onstar and XM radio. those should be OPTIONS, but I'm sure they will be standard
navigation shouldn't even be offered IMO.

and how bout we go back to having the automatic as an OPTION instead of the retarded 6spd 'no-cost option' that it was changed to. if no one noticed that jacked the base price of the camaro by $1000.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:50 AM
teh PuRpL3z

I think the other thing I wanna see is HUD. That would rock.

Originally Posted by nikeair042
Maybe by 2009 they will have some new **** where you won't have to get out of the car, take the tops off, put them in the trunk get back in. Maybe they can make something much easier to open/close while driving. If it's cloudy, im not takin my tops off. If they couldnt do that, i would want a sun roof then.
Yeah, they will have something... they call this technology a "hard top". There's been a lot of hinting from insiders that this Camaro won't have t-tops available as an option.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

am i the only one that would like to see a 400hp hybrid V8?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

While I don't care to have them, I think XM and OnStar are a given - I will not pay for XM, and would like an XM delete option if possible. OnStar I can live with.

Airbags in all sorts of locations will be standard.

An iPod connector will likely be standard (not a big deal for those without iPods, but huge for those with them - I don't have one).

DOD has a very high probability.

Direct Injection would be nice.

A6/M6 options

The LED (or whatever type) head/taillights that are on the concept.

Hidden antenna

Power seats/windows are pretty much a given - the weight difference anymore between power and manual is negligible, and it costs less to only produce 1 setup.

Thats all I want/expect. It could very possible have backup sensors, navigation, and a number of the other luxuries others have mentioned, but I don't want them to be standard, even with the highest trim levels.

Quick Reply: What Technology Do You Want To See In The 2009 Camaro??