Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

new camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default new camaro

how does everyone feel? there are a few things i don't like...
1. the car doesn't have a solid rear so you couldn't put slicks on there w/o worring at the track....

2. it's suppose to be made overseas...? how un-American of a muscle car!

3. a 4th gen. convertible w/ an auto tranny will weigh less than the 5th gen coupe?

4. and last... of course with the new LS2, the TB won't be cable driven.

anyone else agree that that is some BS?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:37 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FU_I_AM_UltraZ
It's already been announced that the new Camaro will be assembled in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada.

The fourth-gen cars were assembled outside of Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And it's not coming with an LS2.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

i love the car but chevy isnt thinking it through.... we NEED solid rear....ect... gm has a chance to build something that everyone will love and there just not up to par...a camaro is for racing exspecialy dr racing not cornoring irs blows! imo
Old 01-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Launching!

I'd rather have an IRS but I prefer to autocross, not drag race.

I do understand that most f-bod owners do more of the latter, though.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

I wish it came with a solid rear too,... but it costs us $2000+ to beef up our rearends to handle any major power... and I'm sure the aftermarket won't take long to produce stronger axles, etc. for the 5th gen, so why not have the best of both worlds?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattraypharbor
i love the car but chevy isnt thinking it through.... we NEED solid rear....ect... gm has a chance to build something that everyone will love and there just not up to par...a camaro is for racing exspecialy dr racing not cornoring irs blows! imo
While I agree that solid rear is best for drag racing, do you really think that GM will be able to sell enough solid rear-end cars to the drag-racing fans to make it profitable? The vast majority of buyers while prefer the better riding characteristics of IRS to a solid rear. Plus, the Mustang is a solid and the thought is to make the Camaro better to attract more buyers.

However, it would be awesome (but totally out of character) for GM to offer a drag race package that replaces the IRS with a strong 12-bolt rear. That would sell to the hard-core guys and GM could make some exta beans on it. But, like I said, way out of character.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Agree with what is being said here. GM wants to build a car that competes well against all cars in the class/range. Infiniti G35, RX8, S2000, Mustang, Challenger, Nissan Altima 2 door, 350Z, etc. Other than the Mustang...all of those have IRS.

If you are a hardcore into the 1/4 mile chances are you are going to get a new rear end anyways.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

1. the car doesn't have a solid rear so you couldn't put slicks on there w/o worring at the track....

3. a 4th gen. convertible w/ an auto tranny will weigh less than the 5th gen coupe?

1. True, but as others have stated. If youre seriously drag racing then youre gonna upgrade to a better rear end anyway. So its better to offer the IRS since that will make the car better for the majority of people.
2. Wrong, Canada
3. I havent seen how much it will actually weight, but since the nice model will have 450hp i dont really care if it weighs a couple lbs more.
4. it wont have the ls2, but it still wont be cable driven. I dont really care one way or another on that point though

I think that covers it
Old 01-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Both concept cars show the LS2 inside the engine compartment. I haven't really looked to see what GM has or hasn't said about what will go in.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tobynine9
Both concept cars show the LS2 inside the engine compartment. I haven't really looked to see what GM has or hasn't said about what will go in.
GM said "we will use an engine that is not in any current gm model."
Old 01-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Gotcha.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not only are most of these "issues" backwards but your speaking for 10% at most of buyers to this car.

GM can't afford to build a car that caters only to us tuners. Imo by 09 an 07 gt 500 used will be around same as a marked up top model camaro.

If i'm buying a new car that year bye chevy. IRS is a saving grace for the car imo... i mean look at the 10 bolt doesn't handle as well as an IRS could and it blows no pun intended.

More I read into it more hope is lost.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

solid axles are considered ancient now. IRS can be designed to be strong enough to hold up under alot of power. so this car will handle and hook well if its designed right.

chances are this car will be lighter and less expensive than its competitors and im anxious for it to arrive.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:12 PM

Vettes go 9s with an IRS rear.

Id rather have the IRS. I like to do more than drive in a straight line.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
solid axles are considered ancient now. IRS can be designed to be strong enough to hold up under alot of power. so this car will handle and hook well if its designed right.

chances are this car will be lighter and less expensive than its competitors and im anxious for it to arrive.
Tell that to the Ford boys look how the stang did this year in racing

I agree about IRS is a better setup and should be used as its got alot of room to grow.

I really doubt both lighter or cheaper honestly. I see Chevy looking more at a step up car again, and that was its down fall....
Old 01-08-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
Tell that to the Ford boys look how the stang did this year in racing

I agree about IRS is a better setup and should be used as its got alot of room to grow.

I really doubt both lighter or cheaper honestly. I see Chevy looking more at a step up car again, and that was its down fall....

camaro has always been lighter and less expensive. at least recently. itll have an aluminum block. chances are if ford is running FI and a DOHC setup itll be heavier. LS motors have always been light and compact.

the challenger is going to be heavy as ****. look at the 300 cars. 2 tons plus. itl be based on that.

a 5th gen. will be priced competitively with a mustang like it always has. it has to be if GM wants it to succeed.

as far as racing im referring to street setups if thats what youre referring to. vettes and GTOs seem to do fine with IRS setups. this car will do ok too most likely.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Number one you're dead on imo. I think gm NEEDS to do something with that rear. Seriously with mass production techniques how much would it cost them to make a 8.5 or a 9 over the current/planned. 2nd, what american cars are made here, most in mex/can. Friggin toyota and Handai? make em here. 3rd that's bs. 4th, hell at least it's an ls2
Old 01-21-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS

Ditto!!!

Although a drag racing factory installed 12 bolt solid axle would be sweet...

Quick Reply: new camaro