Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

ASSIGNMENT: Camaro Focus Group

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Forced induction top the line model! Supercharger, but if they really wanna be different, imagine a stock turbo v8. Has that been done before? Turbo's have been very popular lately and have a hell of a lot of potential, would have one badass sound when that big v8 is spooling w/e turbo they'd use, and to have a warrantied turbo v8 would be awsome imo.

But yeah this is just me dreaming...
i agree with the turbo engine and required components.
forged cranks, and pistons.
i would purchase a turbo car with production cast iron turbo manifolds and a air to air heat exchanger.over a Eaton supercharger with a coolant heat exchanger equipped car.
i believe a turbocharger equipped car would make a tremendous impact,
seeing as how the turbocharger is gaining popularity among American v8
engine enthusiasts, with the LSx engines smack in the middle.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00SS!
I'd like to see an option of ordering a big engine stripper car. Light and lotsa power!
i would also like to see this option, this is the version of the car that i want to purchase, i would also like it with the hood and spoiler if they differ from other models like the 4th gen Z28 vs SS. i pretty much want the more aggressive looking body and wider wheels in a big engine (hopefully LS3), "lighter"stripper car. it would be nice if some of the cars came with autometer dash gauges from the factory, i don't know if i like the retro interior design yet, i do love the retro body style though!! i just want the best looking camaro in a big engine stripper package.(please,please,please)
Old 05-06-2007, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

there was a pic of a 09 camaro with the 67 look with the hideaway lights that looked awsome and i think should definatly be a feature.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

if no t-top option, then a targa top option would be great! I dont like the looks of convertibles with the tops up, nor is a vert a realistic option for auto-xing or drags. just too heavy. Either way i would love to have a removable top option other than full convertable!

I agree with some of the others here to offer a lot of options, people like choosing what they get. A few features i would love to see is HUD, push-button start, sweeping guages on start up, these are just to name a few!

As far as power goes i put 100% trust in GM not to dissapoint us when it comes to a power plant, but a forced induction option would be awesome!!!
Old 05-06-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

I'd like to put in another vote for a big engine stripper car.

Some sort of removable top would be nice.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 195 Likes on 164 Posts

What we need is a base model that gets excellent fuel economy so that it sells like crazy. That's what will make it possible for the rest of us to have a big V8. We're threatened by tighter EPA ratings and sanctions. Unfortunately the clowns in Washington can't get any more creative than negative legislation to address our national energy issues.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RevGTO
What we need is a base model that gets excellent fuel economy so that it sells like crazy. That's what will make it possible for the rest of us to have a big V8. We're threatened by tighter EPA ratings and sanctions. Unfortunately the clowns in Washington can't get any more creative than negative legislation to address our national energy issues.
I get better fuel economy than a friend of mine who drives a Camry - and his foot is light as a feather. Add direct injection and a couple of other engine technologies (no DoD, please), and power will increase ALONG with fuel economy .

There are plenty of current Z06's running around that get over 20mpg with 505 hp, and they could be improved with the inclusion of some of these technologies.

GM doesn't have any issues making high powered, fuel efficient engines.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

i would have to add to this thread and also say, that it would be nice to see a 2 tone paint job as seen in some of the photoshops, black/silver and red/silver. put in a nice size motor with 450 plus horsepower backed by a 6 speed. also i would like to see a higher wing on the car like the older 67-69 sytle. the hideaway headlights would be a nice option also for those who might want it. i believe most would enjoy lots of power from the new camaro, make it happen GM. oh yeah who cares if the power is the same of the vette, they are all family. i would LOVE to buy a new Camaro from the factory with the big bad 427.......................
Old 05-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 195 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002BlackSS
I get better fuel economy than a friend of mine who drives a Camry - and his foot is light as a feather. Add direct injection and a couple of other engine technologies (no DoD, please), and power will increase ALONG with fuel economy . There are plenty of current Z06's running around that get over 20mpg with 505 hp, and they could be improved with the inclusion of some of these technologies. GM doesn't have any issues making high powered, fuel efficient engines.
That's not the issue. It's meeting the government mandates that are being proposed - like 34mpg CAFE. That's why Bob Lutz announced a couple of weeks ago that GM's RWD program has been "paused." Camaro escaped only because it's development was so far along.

If there's a business case for this car in an era where fuel is approaching $4.00, and regulations look like they're tightening, the base model has to get GREAT mileage, period.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

34mpg is unrealistic for most car companies, and will not easily pass. The majority of manufacturer's don't have a clue on how to make a full size vehicle with that kind of fuel economy.

GM does, and can do it with their V8s. The "over 20mpg" Z06s I mentioned is city driving. Many are getting up to 30 mpg highway, which most foreign automakers can't manage with much smaller, less powerful engines. Implementing the new technologies they've developed can get their engines to 34 mpg.

Aveo, Cobalt (with manual) and Malibu all currently have options that meet the proposed 34 mpg requirement, and they've got the HHR and Impala that's very close.

All I'm saying is GM is not the company you should be worrying about when it comes to milage. Certainly, higher is better, especially if power is equal or better. I just don't think GM will be having an issue with this. Any reports indicating anything else are political bs (an attempt to keep the 34 mpg requirement from getting passed) - including Lutz's statement.

If they can give me a 450hp Camaro that gets 35 mpg, I'd definately be interested. I'm not saying they will, but, while my eyebrow would be raised, I really wouldn't be all that surprised.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of great ideas here and great feedback!

Keep it coming!!
Old 05-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Like most said, 18 inch wheels max. I would also like to see some form of removable top (t-top / taga top) as an option. I would want them but some wouldent. And as far as options go, give alot of individual options please dont package them all in groups. I shouldent be forced into getting the upgraded stereo, dvd nav system, and interior upgrade package, just because I want the removable top option.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've harped before, but I'll harp again! Mid-range engine choice please! Something between the top dog and the base model, whether it be a souped-up six-cylinder(Isuzu I-6 perhaps?) or a small V8(5.3L or the 6.0L from the G8). Do it like they do on the Silverado with the 4.8L. In other words, if that base six isn't good enough to almost take down a Mustang GT like the last one, offer something in-between to **** off the Ford guys.

Other than that, I'd like to see some nice looking steel wheels as an option delete....

If it's possible, make a few custom grill shells that can be installed at the dealer to change up the front end.

Canary yellow would be nice!
Old 05-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

I would like to see some optional gadgetry available in the higher end models. Bluetooth, Nav, HUD, auto tinting rear view mirror, stereo that can do mp3s and satellite, etc. I will be buying mine for a daily driver not a weekend car. I also dont want to see huge wheels on it. 18s should be plenty. I am pretty sick of the 6 speed in my GTO so I am hoping that it comes with the 6 speed auto. As for colors both my previous Pontiacs were blue but I would really like to see a metallic grey (medium dark) with black rally stripes. A hidden headlight RS version would be nice as well.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

*Stock wheels no larger than 18" (optional 19" would be fine)
*A hidden headlight option would be awesome and a great tribute, gotta love those 69's
*Stripes package available, Deep dark metallic blue z28 with 2 big fat white stripes.
*A Black interior, none of the dark gray crap
*A rear end that isnt gonna explode with a hard launch
*A lightweight stripper option
*Sparkplugs we can reach
*A better way to attach fenders so stupid shops dont break our fenders when they jack the car wrong!!!
*Wheel wheels that can fit a 12" wide tire without using a big hammer
*If we could order individual components instead of whole packages that would be nice-maybe smaller packages with fewer items in each?
*An option that gets rid of the factory wheel well gap and includes performance shocks to match
*Racing seats such as Sparco Torino 2's or Corbeau Cr1's with one of the higher end performance packages
*A factory short shifter
*Different Hood and Spoiler options
*No traction control
*A base 400hp z28, SS at around 450hp, both availiable with stripper packages. Then a top dog 500+ hp model with all go fast options in a lightweight package
*Make the base v6 250-300hp, make it easy to climb in and out of, that is a huge complaint that needs to be fixed to sell to the masses! Make it sporty, but show that it perfect for an everyday car, This is why the mustang sells to women so much better than the camaro did

And advertise the Camaro!!!! Give it enough power to beat the mustang and challenger and show it doing so in commercials! People dont even know what a camaro is these days, please please please advertise it well
Old 05-07-2007, 10:27 AM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Appearance wise I hope the final production vehicle will look exaclty like the hugger orange concept, but in a hardtop.

2) There should be more than one V8 available.

3) HUD should be standard on all V8 models. (I've been spoiled with it in my ZO6)

4) I like the wheels on the concept, so what if they're 20's, they are perfect for the car. If people are concerned about the weight, just throw a set of Drag lites on and drop 100lbs off the car.

Last edited by Richie Carbone; 05-07-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

my opinions. i would love to see and BUY!!!!! AT a reasonable price!
-stripper package/ WITHOUT A/C. i hardly use as it is.
-hugger orange
-tires that fit in the wheelwell
-MORE THAN ONE V-8 OPTION!!!!(different displacement)

i tend to agree with everyone on option packages,BUT realistically in this day in age it would not be cost effective for GM to offer such packages. MY OPINION

one more thing, since this is going to be seen by GM. if dealerships mark up the price of this vehicle, I WILL NOT BE BUYING ONE!!

Last edited by 99HUGGRSS; 05-07-2007 at 12:40 PM. Reason: adding one thing
Old 05-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Banned

how about comfortable seats? higher quality interior items. and better audio system.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Please make a direct connect ipod connection at least an option.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99HUGGRSS
one more thing, since this is going to be seen by GM. if dealerships mark up the price of this vehicle, I WILL NOT BE BUYING ONE!!
i have to more than agree 100 percent, if the dealerships mark up the price, I Also will not be buying one, no need for a dealer to try and get rich off of the camaro coming back and punishing us the buyer for wanting one.

Quick Reply: ASSIGNMENT: Camaro Focus Group