Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

ASSIGNMENT: Camaro Focus Group

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up ASSIGNMENT: Camaro Focus Group

As some of you know by now, I am one of 15 individuals selected by General Motors to participate in the Focus Group for the new Camaro!

We will be discussing production options, packaging, and other things about what will make production and what will not.

There will be a few things I can discuss afterwards, however all focus group entrants are required to sign a confidentiality agreement, so there will be things I cannot discuss.

The Camaro Focus Group takes place Monday, May 21 at the GM Proving Grounds in Milford, Michigan.

GM WANTS TO HEAR FROM YOU!

Feedback, commects, suggestions, post it here!
I will be printing out this thread and bringing it with me to the focus group.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Tell them to make the Hugger Orange/Black stripe package a production option! This should be an easy request, considering it will have no bearing on EPA requirements, local or federal laws, or packaging/fitment challenges.

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll make a suggestion. It would be really cool if there was some sort of "RS" package that can be put with any engine... It should include hidden headlights!!! I'd fork out for an "RS" with an LS3 under the hood. Dont make it look too extreme, but hidden headlights would be cool. Maybe a nifty spoiler.

I'm assuming that GM will only put a body kit on the "top dog" Camaro, but it'd be cool to see something that could give the owner of the car a little uniqueness , so that not EVERY Camaro will look the same.

Charlie
Old 05-05-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to see an option of ordering a big engine stripper car. Light and lotsa power!
Old 05-05-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Tell them to make the Hugger Orange/Black stripe package a production option! This should be an easy request, considering it will have no bearing on EPA requirements, local or federal laws, or packaging/fitment challenges.

Thanks.
Oh, and +1 for the Hugger Orange/Stripe option! Heck, make rally stripes a cheap option. With any color you can get black/white/gunmetal stripes.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

options, options, options. People want something different from everyone else and the more interior color, material, and exterior color, stripe, body kit, sport packages they offer the better.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Lets get a rear end that can hold up better to some abuse!
Headlights that won't fog over (HIDs would be nice)
Keep the wheels at a decent size (18's are the limit IMO)
Performance break option anyone?
And most importantly, keep the price nice and reasonable.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

HIDs front and back, higher end stereo option, keep the rims realistic and HIGH QUALITY, put a decent shift stick on the 6 speed, a t-top option, and put a decent window motor in there.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Banned

ok i agree with some of the things said above. I don't want a t-top option in this model, i don't feel it looks right. I agree with having a stripper package. I also agree with not having rims bigger than 18", anything bigger and performance enthusiast will be disappointed. Options are a biggie, the consumer should be able to get what they want within reason, i mean HELL we are paying for the damn thing. AND YES, please give us a tranny and rearend that can take the abuse of the power the engine makes, and a little bit more. As always, no matter how great you make the car, and no matter how much GM spends on making the perfect Camaro, the performance hearted audience (us) will always do something more.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,276 Posts

I agree with everyone saying 18" wheels MAX. Any bigger, is just too big. IMO.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with everything said mostly. Definitely no T-tops, the roof is too big for that, interior accent options would be nice, for example a stainless bezel option, or a CF version etc. A Hugger Orange/Black stripe package like RPM WS6 said is a must, I'd also like to see a White/Flat black stripe option, and some more wheel choices (18" max). The car seems pretty good already so thats all I care for.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

No T-Top on this car. It will look wrong.

Strong rear. Good Window Motors. Good looking Interior Opions. Think Dash Package like the Mustang. Good High-end Stereo option.

We should go back to the roots and offer the Camaro. The Camaro RS, Z28, SS. Allow 60's like options so that you could get an RS/Z28, RS/SS etc. That was cool back then. May work today.

I think the RS package should be like the original. It's a Looks package. The Z28 can be the road coarse package. The SS is the Street Bruiser package. Combine packages for different effects.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

I think a SS/RS option would be badass. Just like the old days. I for one and not big on fancy options but a good (compact) navigation system would be good. Those little things do come in handy ever now and then. Just don't go overboard with the techno. **** and end up w/ an even bigger hog.

A sport susension package would be advisable (1LE), similar to the Z51 since it is IRS now. Id agree on keeping the size of the rims as an option. I think a two-step like the STI would be good, as would a factory shift light. (ill have to admit Subaru was onto something when they installed these options.)

That's all i got.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

The RS package is a good idea, but I don't know about the moving headlight covers that were on the 1st gen (don't want to deal with increased mechanical complexity, and want to keep it friendly for export). Perhaps if there's a screen of sorts that covers the lights, but that the light will shine through.

A standardized radio (1 din would be great) - maybe with a cover to hide it, but something that can be upgraded easily without losing the ability to do some basic computer adjustments. At a minimum, speakers that have standard ratings, so when your driver's side door speaker blows on you after 5 years, you can easily replace it with something better.

Interior should be essentially a blend of the concept and a Holden (GTO/Ute/Commodore) interior.

Wheels available in sizes that makes it possible for the average buyer of the car able to afford replacement tires (17" or 18" ideally).

Make the concept's engine cover available as an accessory - in the brushed aluminum, no matter what the cost.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - Maintain as much of the concept as possible - it's a beautiful car with rave reviews, even among people that don't like GM.

EDIT - Make sure there's no funky body panel mounts like the stupid flange at the bottom of the fenders that easily gets bent on a lift.

Oh, and we definately don't need to be forced to have "luxury" items like a dvd player. If they are options, they should be optional for all trim levels, rather than a standard price increase for higher level packages.

Last edited by 2002BlackSS; 05-06-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00SS!
I'd like to see an option of ordering a big engine stripper car. Light and lotsa power!
Yep, what I want.

lots of performance options final gears.

Oh, and tell them a better manual, We've suffered enough.

Color: Marina Blue

Smaller than 21-22 don't worry I'll fill that hugh fender with tire.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Teching In

How about a 1st year Heritage Edition with a houndstooth style seating design. The car is trying to reflect on the past, so something like this would be a nice homage for people who know the car's history.

Also, keep the car simple so changes can be made to the design in quicker time. That way, someone could buy a model 4 years down the line and not have it look like a four year old car. GM used to do a three year change, and that would be good to see. The overall body could be retained, but with front or rear facia changes to distinguish the years.

Overall, just tell them to be smart and take the car seriously. Marketing is almost weaker within GM than design has been.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

I also would like to have a stripper version with LS3 power. Marina blue with houndstooth would be great! Thanks GM.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Apply the KISS principle here. A couple option packages and some classic camaro color schemes. Keep the car true to a muscle car heritage. I don't need to see another post with someone selling a 1 of 10 car because of some strange color/option combinations

Stay away from ricer options; I don't need to watch freaking DVDs or have purple lights on the car.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Ford really tapped into the enthusiast market by offering specialty/limited edition Mustangs. Car buyers of this type like to personalize their car so definitely keep that in mind. The SS/RS appearance package would be a very popular option , as the originals are sought after today. Love those hidden headlights! T-tops would distract from the design unless they were body colored panels instead of smoked glass. Ralley, bumblebee, hockey stripes would be a hit. A cowl hood a little more larger would be a nice option. Definitely need a stripper performance model and the IRS should be dropped, leave that for the 'Vette crowd. This car has so much retro yet modern touches and I believe they will be much like the 1st gens in terms of collectibility when the they get older. And keep in mind that this is not a cute little econobox , buyers of this won't care about heated cupholders,hybrids or flip down dvd monitors for the kids.

A base V6,mid level performance model, and performance beast would be a good idea, too.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

Forced induction top the line model! Supercharger, but if they really wanna be different, imagine a stock turbo v8. Has that been done before? Turbo's have been very popular lately and have a hell of a lot of potential, would have one badass sound when that big v8 is spooling w/e turbo they'd use, and to have a warrantied turbo v8 would be awsome imo.

But yeah this is just me dreaming...

Quick Reply: ASSIGNMENT: Camaro Focus Group