Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

ASSIGNMENT: Camaro Focus Group

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BIRDONNOS
Originally Posted by 99HUGGRSS
one more thing, since this is going to be seen by GM. if dealerships mark up the price of this vehicle, I WILL NOT BE BUYING ONE!!
i have to more than agree 100 percent, if the dealerships mark up the price, I Also will not be buying one, no need for a dealer to try and get rich off of the camaro coming back and punishing us the buyer for wanting one.
The problem with that is that by federal law, GM cannot tell a dealer how much to sell a car for. GM can suggest a price, but that's it. (this goes for all carmakers)
I really don't think markups will be that big of a deal since Camaro is going to be produced in quantity.
At first, yes some dealers will do it, that's unavoidable. But as long as you don't have to absolutely be the first person in your area to buy one, I really don't think there will be any markups after that because the supply will be there to match the demand.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

Awesome news Tim, happy to hear one of our own is one of the fifteen.

My list:
-I'd like to see some attention to putting in a beefy rearend, should avoid lots of returns. Maybe GM could have have a Drag Pack package that includes lightweight seats and a beefed up rearend.
-I'd like the car to nicely fit 20's only because then other folks will buy the Camaro too.
-SS Package
-Z/28 Package
-No T-Tops
-Nice trim like the 2005 TL and 2005 C6. I'd like to see two trim packages, base and upgraded.
-Must have Navigation, Tim, you have to get that done!
-Exhaust note that sounds like something, the Mustangs sound good why can't we!
-5 Speed Automatic!
Old 05-07-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

^optional 6 speed auto for the V8 models!

One of my main concerns is the weight, try to get it as low as possible! Not only will that improve performance in all areas, but it will also improve gas milage.
Also if congress does pass with the new CAFE regulations, I think that the base Camaro should have an optional turbo diesel engine with a 6 speed auto or manual to try and meet the requirements.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Produce as many as you can pump out so that way the cost can (theoretically) stay down. It'll be hard to keep as numerous as the Mustangs, but if you dont keep up we're in serious jeopardy of losing this car after a few years.

TELEVISON TELEVISION TELEVISION!!!!!!! Flood the Air waves with pictures of this car. Its beautiful, wayyyy better looking than the Mustangs. Let the world see that. Why cant you have the aggressive goal of out-selling Mustangs by the end of the third year of production, and spend a LOT in doing it. The payoff will be worth it.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:57 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Headroom and leg room for the upper 5th percentile. At least for someone in the 6'5"-6'7" range.

6 Speed auto. Optional paddle shifters.

A real stereo system and not the Bose junk that they like to package up as premium audio.

A good exhaust system, possibly by Borla or Corsa.

A strong rear end and not something that will **** itself when it sees north of 1200 HP (upgradable parts are ok so long as the housing doesn't take a crap)

Real black interior

Light weight ~3500, nowhere north of 4000.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Id really like to see the same color combination as the convertible concept make it to production. HID's and a shiftronic option with paddle shifters would we awesome!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Don't mess up the front end with a spot for license plates, like on older mustangs. I hate when cars get the license plate indentation.

Also, a good stereo, normal sized wheels (17 - 18"), some kind of removable top, or glass top (I love looking up at the sky with my t-tops), HID's, and taillights that don't leak.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

ok for the guys saying they want a stripper model, settlemeyer already said its not happening. it doesn't make sense either. all the performance cars out are fully optioned, it would cost too much to engineer, and the market (us) is too small.

what i would like to see is an upscale interior. i'm sick of getting depressed whenever i catch a ride in my buddies BMW or even VW. lets get an interior thats functional, with nice materials, good fit and finish, yet has a retro design (throwback GM seatbelts )

i would like to see a good drivetrain offering as well... i think a 6 speed manual and a no cost 6 speed paddle shift auto (as in the vette) would make this car.

that being said, i want a low-cost M3 killer!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Teching In

1. If GM really wants the publics input, tell them to wake up and open their eyes and read the message boards. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the most common complaints if you read the boards (*cough*..rear..*cough*..ends). For one thing, hot rodders are going to be buying this car, so therefore engineer it to take some abuse and anticiapate that people will be adding more horsepower the first chance they get. So that would mean build a bullet proof drive train that can easily handle 200 more horsepower than the highest powered model comes with.

2. Do not bury the engine under the cowl!! (PITA to work on then)

3. If they are going to offer packages designed for racing then I think they should offer a package taylored to the drag racer, and also offer one specifically taylored to auto-crossing and road racing. Those are two different animals that require two different cars. They should offer a true no holds bar performance model like the Corvette Z06.

4. Support the new camaro with serious performance parts from GM performance parts. They can keep tapping these cars for money if they would only offer really serious perfomance parts for these cars. How many people really buy GM performance parts heads and cams for the 4th gens. The aftermarket is really your only option for a full exhaust. Wouldn't it be nice if GM designed real stainless steel headers for the new camaro along with a full cat back exhaust. OEM fit and reliability tested for your car without as many of the compromises seen in the aftermarket. They should also offer computer re-calibrations for the modifications. I think if they really offered serious performance parts with engine recalibrations they would sell a lot of them to the general car guy that doesn't want to make a project car out of his camaro.

5. Offer at least 2 V8 models but with a larger difference in performance. (Come on an air lid and a cat back exhaust was all that really separated the Z28 from the top SS you could buy in 2002. Only 20 HP difference. Not much power for $4000.)

6. TRUE DUAL EXHAUST!!!

7. A factory shift light that can be set by the driver would be nice too!!

8. Each car should come from the factory with a RWHP & RWTQ dyno sheet so every buyer knows where his/her car is at. This way there would be no question if the HP rating is correct or not.

9. Have a true manual transmission. DO NOT call an automatic with tap shift a "Manual Transmission" car. That's fine for an option on the autos but they need to have a true manual transmission car with a clutch.

10. DO NOT put all of the performance options into 1 or 2 packages. Some people don't want certain options. If they can customize it to their liking and budget, they will probably be more likely to buy one.

11. Corvette brakes!! (or equivalent performance)

12. Power Antenna!! (People that cover their cars alot don't want to worry about taking the anntenna off so the car cover will fit on easier.)

13. There MUST be a Camaro model available to beat every Mustang model available. After all the Camaro was originally started to compete with the Mustang in the pony car war.

14. Actually build the car and don't change your mind because of this or that. People have been anticipating this car for years now, don't let the public down. There's more than the success of the Camaro at stake here. The Camaro can help establish brand loyalty for the "normal" income people that cannot afford a corvette. Toyota has already taken the lead in sales for the 1st quarter of this year. GM needs to start exciting the public again with awesome looking and performing cars.

well that's all I have for now I guess. I'm sure I'll think of plenty more.

Nick
Old 05-08-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nick 2K2 SS
13. There MUST be a Camaro model available to beat every Mustang model available. After all the Camaro was originally started to compete with the Mustang in the pony car war.
This can't be stressed enough. The only way GM can hope to sway the general public's affinity for the Mustang is to provide irrefutable proof that the new Camaro does outperform the Mustang. Let's see some clever marketing; it's been nearly ten years since the LS1 was put into F-bodies, and still most people have no clue at all what these cars are capable of. GM is going to have to put forth effort to beat the current stereotypes if they want the 5th gen to be a success.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i want perl white stripes with my hugger orange / white leather convertible... (yea i know.. second year of production is the vert.. not first)

oh, and make sure the gauges are readable.. the gauges in the show cars look like crap.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

A Z/28 designed for auto-crossing and road racing.
Suspension that will really turn
Corvette Brakes not the Z06 ones, those would be too expensive

Even though the LS7 will be out of its cycle keep them around for the camaro.

Dual Exhaust

Tough Rear End

iPod Jack

No more than 3500 lbs

Turbo Diesel with 400/400 and exceedingly good MPG

$25k for an LS3 camaro.

W
Old 05-09-2007, 05:09 AM
On The Tree

I pretty much agree with most of the comments above. Build a simple, clean, strong(this refers to the rearend and NO INTERIOR RATTLES after 50k miles) car that can be optioned in a myriad of ways. Please don't make 1 or 2 uber sized option packages.
That kept me from buying a new '01 or '02 back in the day because I wanted a 1LE and would have had to buy a over priced, $4000 wheel, hood, and spoiler package to get it,ie SS.
I really think the interior is going to make the difference for the average consumer wanting it and actually cracking the wallet. Prime example is my friends 04 GTO. Literally everyone who he has shown the car to after he bought couldn't believe , then marvel the car is from GM because of the cabin. Camaros in the vast public eye are that they are cheap, have poor build quality, and won't last. If GM can't break this stigma through advertising and more importantly word of mouth, it won't sell as good as it should.

With the new Transformer movie coming out, has GM even thought of doing a Transformer edition (just that color orange) as a cross promotion? I mean the 2 hour commercial, I mean movie is done, why not have the exact product to go with it?
The way I want mine:
Lemans Blue w/ white stripes
houndstouth int.
atleast a 400 horse v8
manual transmission, you know the ones that require a 3rd moving pedal
18's
if I can't have a 1LE stripper, I guess something close to a Z51 would be good
14'' Brembo brakes
weight less than 3500#'s
Old 05-09-2007, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

you guys have some ridiculous demands. Let's see...a car with rs, z28, ss packages that can be combined. A v6 a V8 and another v8. A rear end that can handle 1200 hp? Different paint schemes, t-tops, bluetooth, houndstooth leather. Some of you want turbos, superchargers, 427s? Get real people. And the funniest part is where you say it should be affordable. Yeah okay, a V8 turbo under warranty is gonna be affordable. Not to mention, the Corvette is their flagship sports car and they're not going to make a cheaper Camaro that outperforms it.

I think the hugger orange/black stripe will definitely be a possibility as well as the 6 speed auto. And there are strong rumors out there to support a supercharged LS3 pushing 550 hp. (chevyhiperformance) God only knows what that will cost. Anyways, thank goodness you guys wanting forged internals and rear ends that can support unreal levels of power don't actually work at GM. This would only drive up the cost dramatically and the other 90% of prospective buyers would shy away due to prices they can't afford for features they don't care about. Look at the Playstation 3...600 dollars (mostly for a blu-ray feature most people don't even use.) If you want all these special performance add-ons you go to what's called the aftermarket.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JB151
you guys have some ridiculous demands. Let's see...a car with rs, z28, ss packages that can be combined. A v6 a V8 and another v8. A rear end that can handle 1200 hp? Different paint schemes, t-tops, bluetooth, houndstooth leather. Some of you want turbos, superchargers, 427s? Get real people. And the funniest part is where you say it should be affordable. Yeah okay, a V8 turbo under warranty is gonna be affordable. Not to mention, the Corvette is their flagship sports car and they're not going to make a cheaper Camaro that outperforms it.

I think the hugger orange/black stripe will definitely be a possibility as well as the 6 speed auto. And there are strong rumors out there to support a supercharged LS3 pushing 550 hp. (chevyhiperformance) God only knows what that will cost. Anyways, thank goodness you guys wanting forged internals and rear ends that can support unreal levels of power don't actually work at GM. This would only drive up the cost dramatically and the other 90% of prospective buyers would shy away due to prices they can't afford for features they don't care about. Look at the Playstation 3...600 dollars (mostly for a blu-ray feature most people don't even use.) If you want all these special performance add-ons you go to what's called the aftermarket.
i agree....

now someone please... tell them i want WHITE stripes on my hugger orange car.. not black.

im PRAYING they have learned from the CTSV thing, and are putting a good rearend in it.
by good, i dont mean "it will never break with stupid power"
by good, i really mean "i can dump the clutch on it near stock with the same amount of fear as a ford 8.8"
Old 05-09-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Factory shortie headers

Butterfly valves on the exhaust

17 inch rims...18 if you must

W
Old 05-09-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

"The problem with that is that by federal law, GM cannot tell a dealer how much to sell a car for. GM can suggest a price, but that's it."

Last time I cheched this country's economy is built off of freedom to contract. Put some of their tier one ivy league lawyers to work and come up with a creative contract that does tell the dealers how much to sell for...while not doing that. It is very doable.

I am not aware of what federal law you are talking about either...could you give us its name.

W
Old 05-09-2007, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Spend so much money on marketing it hurts, then offer everything as an option so that people will get exactly what they want...
Drive The S*** outta the prototypes until something breaks, then fix that and make it stronger... wash rinse repeat.. true testing is the only way your gonna make this car better than the last ones.. window motors? turn signal sockets?
run the wipers, the windows, the turn signals, etc.. for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, till something breaks..
all the other things these people want is just wishful thinking.. if it comes with the bigger wheels, they'll still enjoy it.. And they'll enjoy it more knowing that the window motor isnt gonna take a crap in less than a year..
i buy a badass car like this, i wanna put high octane gas in it, do a burnout, haul ***, change the oil every recomended interval, and occasionally wash it..
i dont wanna replace something thats inferior quality because the company rushed to get it out..
shoot for less recalls than any other company on this and you will have some seriously satisfied customers. leave the other crap to the aftermarket.. oh and make the price less than the GTO.. with a lower price it wouldve done better in sales im sure..
Old 05-09-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WECIV
Last time I cheched this country's economy is built off of freedom to contract. Put some of their tier one ivy league lawyers to work and come up with a creative contract that does tell the dealers how much to sell for...while not doing that. It is very doable.

I am not aware of what federal law you are talking about either...could you give us its name.

W
A carmaker can't sell directly to the consumer, a dealer has to sell the cars.
No dealer can be told how much to sell a car for.
It's not GM, it's all carmakers, and it's a law.
It's some kind of Franchising or Broker/Dealer law.

I don't have time to look up the law, but I ain't making this stuff up.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

i think you guys are losing the important picture here.

i want WHITE stripes on my hugger orange car.. not halloween black.

Quick Reply: ASSIGNMENT: Camaro Focus Group