Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

ASSIGNMENT: Camaro Focus Group

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 V8 Options

1 V8 in the lets say 26 - 27K range (Z28)

1 V8 in the 32K range (SS)

1 V8 in the 37 - 40K range (RS SS)

And what the hell maybe throw that 4cyl turbo GXP 260HP motor in there instead of a V6. I think more of those turbo 4 cyl people would buy one to play around with that

Last edited by CAMJAG; 05-09-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nick 2K2 SS
4. Support the new camaro with serious performance parts from GM performance parts. They can keep tapping these cars for money if they would only offer really serious perfomance parts for these cars. How many people really buy GM performance parts heads and cams for the 4th gens. The aftermarket is really your only option for a full exhaust. Wouldn't it be nice if GM designed real stainless steel headers for the new camaro along with a full cat back exhaust. OEM fit and reliability tested for your car without as many of the compromises seen in the aftermarket. They should also offer computer re-calibrations for the modifications. I think if they really offered serious performance parts with engine recalibrations they would sell a lot of them to the general car guy that doesn't want to make a project car out of his camaro.

I know if GM offered quality catbacks, headers, intakes, etc... I would opt to buy them versus aftermarket anyday.

I don't know if they'd go for the PCM retuning, but for bolt-ons, GM should seriously consider this. Maybe even take it a step further and offer them as dealer installed options, complete with OEM warranty (if either installed by the dealership or at the time of vehicle purchase).

Other than that, a quality interior would be worth a few extra $$$ to me. Going from F-body to GTO... I'm kinda spoiled now with my nice, comfy interior. The new Camaro should be no different.

I agree with others... no T-tops on this car. Even a sunroof is pushing it with me, but they might be able to pull that one off.

I also agree to bring back the RS package. It should be compatable with any trim level for the Camaro. So if a V6 owner wanted an RS package, let them. If you wanted a Z28/RS or an SS/RS package, let them.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Default options options options

When Chevy made the Camaro in '67 to compete with the Mustang it was a hit because buyers loved the options. Lets do it again....
1. Cool paint options: Hugger, maybe a nice looking green or blue also

2. RS-SS-Z28: The base model should be an RS, then a steet style GT killing Z28, and a Cobra killing SS.

3. Stripes: Bumble Bee, Hockey, and Rally

4. Maybe an extra proformance package that includes Air intake/exhaust

5. Different wheel options 18's 20's and 22's
Old 05-09-2007, 03:38 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

Wow great ideas in the thread.

-And I take back my 5AT suggestion, the 6AT idea like Derty said is the way to go, like the C6. Paddle shifter sounds awesome too, the Grand Prix had it!
-Dual exhaust for the win!
-Ipod Jack yes!
-Beefy rearend housing sounds good, we can always change half shafts. But if we have to scrounge around for beefed up IRS rearends that will slow down folks who will try to push these cars.
-Fold down rear seat!
Old 05-09-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
-Fold down rear seat!
Im sitting here trying to figure out why the hell you need a folding rear seat, then i remembered we dont have a hatchback anymore. i dunno how im gonna adjust to that change, lol

Also, i think it would be cool to offer a slightly larger cowl induction hood as an option....in dark blue metallic with white stripes...hideaway headlights...450hp
Old 05-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
A carmaker can't sell directly to the consumer, a dealer has to sell the cars.
No dealer can be told how much to sell a car for.
It's not GM, it's all carmakers, and it's a law.
It's some kind of Franchising or Broker/Dealer law.

I don't have time to look up the law, but I ain't making this stuff up.
If I remember my into to marketing class correctly it is the Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890 that you are thinking of. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, lol.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please GM, make everything an option, don't throw all the bells and whisltes at every car that leaves the showroom.

There are still people who buy crank window, cloth interior, hardtop, V8 cars.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I stress tons of easy options to make it look unique (love that idea)...It would be cool if they had 3 different v8 options and YES to a stripper version(ill even say yes to roll up windows)

v-6 blah blah for sales

R/S 5.3 lter, retractable headlights, different color schemes, and maybe different tail lights

z-28 6.2 lter LS3, something fun and unique with this model

SS 6.2 lter supercharged LS3! maybe stripped down with performance in mind

*COPO or YENKO limited production with something crazy!!! (gt500kr to compete with)

Good rearend that will hold up AND PLEASE PLEASE KEEP THE WEIGHT DOWN!!!
something reasonable...I dont want to drive a fat lady, at LEAST below 3700 pds

ive been afraid they will make something real heavy like the charger that jst weights too much
Old 05-09-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gwballin
If I remember my into to marketing class correctly it is the Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890 that you are thinking of. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, lol.
YES! I believe you are correct!

Some things mentioned in this thread are already decided, some will be happening, and some won't be.
I'll dicuss what I can when I can.

Overall, this has been a great feedback thread, so let's keep the ideas flowing!!!
I wanna bring a big stack of paper with me full of ideas!
Old 05-09-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh yea i forgot KILL THE MUSTANG ON EVERY BASE TO HIGH PERFORMANCE MODEL THAT COMES OUT!
Old 05-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Im sitting here trying to figure out why the hell you need a folding rear seat, then i remembered we dont have a hatchback anymore. i dunno how im gonna adjust to that change, lol
I forgot also. I guess a fold down rear seat should be standard by know anyways.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep the weight down, the power up, and for gods sake, make the drivetrain behind the motor overbuilt.

a sturdy interior base is needed.. but dont REQUIRE us to buy the 60 way adjusible power leather seats along with every other power option...
let us have a cheap car.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
keep the weight down, the power up, and for gods sake, make the drivetrain behind the motor overbuilt.

a sturdy interior base is needed.. but dont REQUIRE us to buy the 60 way adjusible power leather seats along with every other power option...
let us have a cheap car.
+1
Air/heat and cruise control are the only options i want. then a big motor and a driveline to handle it.

Please have smaller option packages, we do not want to have to buy a $5k package just to get the one option we actually want. Yes i know its not as cost effective, But a low cost 400hp z28 ($25k) is gonna sell like crazy.

Once again, advertise advertise advertise!! the average car guy has no idea the power difference between the mustang and camaro. weve had 300hp since 98 and now in 2006 the mustangs finally get 300hp, come on!! show comparison commercials please so that they will be informed of the glory that is the camaro!!

Havent looked at the new interior much, but i really hope we dont have that passenger side hump anymore, that was really annoying.

Have different options with lights, both headlights and tailights, and offer different spoilers and hoods. Give options so that there is an option that everybody likes!! Thats the way to sell
Old 05-10-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WECIV
Butterfly valves on the exhaust

W
you sir, are a genius. for what its worth, i would hire you if i were GM
Old 05-10-2007, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
+1
Air/heat and cruise control are the only options i want. then a big motor and a driveline to handle it.

Please have smaller option packages, we do not want to have to buy a $5k package just to get the one option we actually want. Yes i know its not as cost effective, But a low cost 400hp z28 ($25k) is gonna sell like crazy.

Once again, advertise advertise advertise!! the average car guy has no idea the power difference between the mustang and camaro. weve had 300hp since 98 and now in 2006 the mustangs finally get 300hp, come on!! show comparison commercials please so that they will be informed of the glory that is the camaro!!

Havent looked at the new interior much, but i really hope we dont have that passenger side hump anymore, that was really annoying.

Have different options with lights, both headlights and tailights, and offer different spoilers and hoods. Give options so that there is an option that everybody likes!! Thats the way to sell

+1

You hit the nail right on the head.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

"No dealer can be told how much to sell a car for."

Scion Dealerships have a special contract to sign. That is why their prices are set and not flexible.

W
Old 05-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Teching In

1. RS option for looks
2. Fuel efficient base and a couple v8 options.
3. Sit more upright and not so laying down. I always hated how your legs stick almost straight out while sitting in a fbody. Make the position more like a stang.
4. Make the car not as long over all. Again... more like the stang length.
5. Strong rear end that can handle some abuse.
6. ADDRESS WHEEL HOP!!!!!!!!!! Any factory IRS seems to have wheel hop with any kind of sticky tire. Addressing it in the R&D phase is sure to save on warranty claims.
7. 18" wheel max. Staggered with a good lip in the rear.
8. different hood/spoiler options
9. Holden style interiors... not the usual cheap GM crap.
10. Make it around 3500lbs or less. Last thing we need is a another Shelby over weight piece of crap.
11. Make the motors so that they make awesome power potential, but are restricted big time from the factory - IE restrictive headers, air box, tune... Stuff that is easily changed for us car guys, but will keep the mom's of the world safe and not over powered.
12. No forced induction. Leave that for the zo6 blue devil.
13. Real black and not grey leather.
14. No T Tops (maybe targa???)
15. A Stripped version... manual locks, windows, etc.
16. A good stance. Why do BMW's look so good compared to all american cars? They nail the stance almost every time. Check out the wheel gap's on bmw... the rears are almost always tucked a bit as with the fronts.
17. PLEASE DON'T PUT THE MOTOR HALF WAY UNDER THE WINDSHIELD!!!!
18. Different suspension/brake package options. I would love to see a package targeting road racers.
19. HID's - If ebay can sell them for $150 shipped, I know GM can mass produce for less.

That's all I got. Basically let Holden design the car and it will be a winner!
Old 05-10-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Turbo I4 would be awesome. Drift it in competitions and market it to ricers.

Folddown seats are a must!!! My '03 GT had them and they were great.

OH!!! And for the paddle shifters...give them Ferrari style paddles...not the painful buttons!!!

Manual seats, windows, and locks!!!

I kinda like the motor back and down...as near to 50/50 as possible (under the windshield works great for me)!!!

W
Old 05-10-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

A little looksee on Westlaw shows that 15 U.S.C.A. § 1 deals with the anti-trust ****. Fun read Commentaries on the subject are rather split it seems...perhaps Chevy could have a dual distributorship setup. But I have not finished reading it all...and quite frankly after a yr of school it may take me a while to finish.

W

Last edited by WECIV; 05-10-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dear GM,

I want the new Camaro to be a twin turbo 427+ ci LSX motor, with a driveline from hell, with A/C. Backseats optional.

Love,

Camaro Zach

Quick Reply: ASSIGNMENT: Camaro Focus Group