Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Weight

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah definitely not 4200 lbs...mine is like 3400 factory lightened to 3300 now.

GVW is weight with all 4 passengers...look at registration to see empty (curb) weight.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Teching In

>>Chevrolet can't afford to build a loser.<<

There is a lot riding on the new Camaro, particularly for the Oshawa plant where it will be built (I work at the GM headquarter building in Oshawa, so it's important for me too).

People asked for it, GM is building it, now it's up to customers to buy them (assuming GM gets it right of course).

I was watching AutoWeek on TV last week and they had Lutz on the program, he advised that GM is taking another look at the future of the Zeta platform, but that the Camaro is not affected (it's too far along, most of the money has been spent).

I don't know about you folks in the U.S., but here in Canada there are added pressures now with respect to the Kyoto Protocol (Canada has declined Kyoto per se, but we're pushing ahead with tough new environmental measures), the cost of gasoline here is going up and up, the government is setting new and tougher standards for emissions and fuel economy. Where it is all headed, and what affect it will have on new V8-RWD cars and trucks remains to be seen.

BTW, as an aside, here in Ontario, the government recently tried to ban NOS in street vehicles (thanks to all the nutbars roaring around on the streets causing big crashes/deaths/etc.), a compromise was reached for us street/strip guys that act responsibly (you can still have a NOS setup in your car for strip use, but the line must be disconnected on the street, and the bottle and line connection must not be in the car near the driver where it could be hooked up from the driver seat).

Regards to all.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Banned

Sorry, I sand bagged on this one to see who knew their stuff. GVWR is the TOTAL weight of the vehicle plus the junk a person might fit into the vehicle. The GVWR for a 2007 Malibu with V6 is 4274. The shipping weight is 3246.

If the trend caused anyone to suffer a stoke, sorry. For the guy that had a DEALER call F-bodies pigs please go back to him and inform him. I Jakes Dad, don't think much of his vehicle knowledge.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks man, i couldn't believe that guy. He worked at a chevy dealership and said he owned a 97 ss years ago. Then he tells me that mustangs are lighter, i just looked at him and laughed.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by milk
Thanks man, i couldn't believe that guy. He worked at a chevy dealership and said he owned a 97 ss years ago. Then he tells me that mustangs are lighter, i just looked at him and laughed.
Yup just another case of dealership ignorance. I gave up on them a while ago when i knew more about the 5th gen and LSX block. Its good to always take what you hear from those guys with a grain of salt.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

i think 36k
Old 05-15-2007, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

i weighed my car with me in it at 3515. without me it should be about 3358, and all this time i thought the car was a real pig, now with me in it and my system in the car its at 3680, i did not know my speakers and amps weighed that much...
Old 05-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Banned

Yes, infortunately well over 90% of the folks selling cars wouldn't have a clue what the funny little things, 4 on each bank, are setting on the valve covers. And them a fuel rail has four tires and a driver. But trust me, I know there are a few true GEAR HEADS still in the car industry, selling. Find one shake their hand and give them your business. This web page has sponsors. Some, even pay their bills support them, they support you.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:15 AM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

Originally Posted by Shock Hawk
Now all I need is a diet.
I am right with u on that one bro.. a good ol 205 at 5'10 but I am not rocking a big ol pop belly though
Old 05-16-2007, 04:18 AM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

My car weighed 3440 with 3/4 tank of gas w/o me in it. But now Added a CI motor but new K-member No seats but drivers, no spare tire or jack so I dont know now. I gotta get it weighed.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
Yes, infortunately well over 90% of the folks selling cars wouldn't have a clue what the funny little things, 4 on each bank, are setting on the valve covers. And them a fuel rail has four tires and a driver. But trust me, I know there are a few true GEAR HEADS still in the car industry, selling. Find one shake their hand and give them your business. This web page has sponsors. Some, even pay their bills support them, they support you.
I have been selling cars at a local Dodge/Hyundai/Honda dealership for 5 years. I can tell you from experience, most car salesmen don't know dick about cars...it's pretty sad. I am one of those true GEAR HEADS left in the car industry, selling.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah it really pisses me off when I go to a car dealorship and I try to talk about the technical parts of the cars and they jsut give me this blank stare. The salesman who can finally hold a conversation with me will get my money.

As for the '97 SS comment, please check your facts again....
http://www.slponline.com/car.asp?C=1...%20Camaro%20SS

It wasn't a GM release I don't think, but SLP did do a '97 and a '96 as limited models.

Last edited by Hydramatic; 05-16-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Banned

Every auto dealer isn't run like the KING OF CARS. I would take abuse from those managers long enough to bust their nose or blow their brains out.

Dealership owners hire consultants. I think the reason they do that is to have someone to blame if an idea goes bad. They have Dealer 20 meetings where similar sized dealers get together and exchange ideas. Few of the owners or managers have any ideas of their own.

When you consider MOST sales associate receive minimum wage for a month, then commissions pulled out of that based on units and gross. Today you just don't attract the sharpest tools in the barn. Throw in the fact that most dealers close at 8 or 9 every evening, are open every Saturday and sometimes on Sundays what can you expect?

To be certified you do take product knowledge tests. Like it real important to know the three new colors the Cobalt comes in 2007? Thats an example of what is important to Chevrolet. Who really cares the original Covettes were hand built, less than 200 made. All had straight 6's, most had a two speed automatic powerglide? Most folks weren't in the car business when the last Camaro was built. Doesn't know the difference between an LS-1,2,or 3. They know nothing more than what they have been told by management. Now you guys expect to go talk to a dealer about engines, weight, options, for the 2009 Camaro? Are you crazy?

In the car business you are only as good as last months performance. There are twelve years in one years car business. If you don't sell 8 cars per month, here, they might replace you with another sales associate. I turned 18 flakes into sales last month. Can you see why you might not be met at the door of a dealership with open arms when your first question is about a car that doesn't exist? And then you want to know what about it?

I would think LS1tech and magazines will always be the best method of receiving information about any vehicle. I'll try and stay awake in the weekly sales meeting and pass any information I hear, asap! Damn, sometimes you guys fire me up.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

I've experience this myself and sadly enough in a chevy dealership. I went because I wanted to test drive the Monte Carlo.The conversation shifted and it looked like I was the one trying to convince him to buy the car by giving him spects and anwering all the question like how much hp & tq and what kind of transmision and the options in the car. But it was worth it.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
I would think LS1tech and magazines will always be the best method of receiving information about any vehicle.
Please tell me you're joking.

Not about LS1tech, LS1tech is a fantastic resource for information as we all know. Definitely one of the best information and tech websites in existence.

But magazines are a JOKE!
Information in magazines is 3-4 months old by the time it's in print, and they GUESS about things with nothing to back up their guess, and 99% of the time THEY GUESS WRONG!
But it's in a magazine, so for some reason everyone believes it.
That's the biggest problem with the media.
They deliver mis-information, but the idiot public believes it.

Now don't get me wrong, there is some good info in magazines.
Tech articles, car write-ups, special features, etc... all great stuff!!
But for future car info, that's the LAST place you should be looking.

Sorry if that sounds like a rant, but I'm just trying to help people to get correct information.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

I would wait to see what old man buys one of these, then get him to adjust his pacemaker and get that car on the Track..
Old 05-17-2007, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

OK, first of all, just because a salesperson doesn't know what a ZL1 Camaro is, or what gear ratio came standard in an 87 IROC doesn't mean they deserve the "not the sharpest tool in the barn" status. I think the point of this discussion is there aren't many gearheads left in the car business, which I totally agree with. The dealership I work for requires an average of at least 11 units per month to maintain our job, and trust me, nobody here works for minimum wage. BTW I hope the 5th gen weighs -3600lbs.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Banned

Being an old man doesn't offend me. Personally, I think its better than being a snot nose kid. Hopefully everyone here will have a long life. The reference made about old folks not being capable of driving, much less doing anything else, doesn't offend me either. Like many here I hope the Camaro isn't a land cruiser. I was going to trap everyone by asking what is old in your eyes? Then invite you to attend an NHRA event and look at the crew chiefs and drivers running in the top classes, ie many old men, in many cases. It's a good chance OLD FOLKS also are working the details out for the next Camaro.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

I doubt they will be under 3800 lbs. Probably be up there with the GTO. But then again people think 4th gens weight 3600 which is obviously not true. The Camaro just looks beefier, and what real new "performance car" with a big engine has been light these days? Its all about safety, comfort, and options and all of these add weight.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
I doubt they will be under 3800 lbs. Probably be up there with the GTO. But then again people think 4th gens weight 3600 which is obviously not true.
4th Gens at 3600 is not true?
Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
4th Gens range from ~3350 to ~3750 depending on model and options.

My 2001 Z28 weighed 3567lbs in factory form.
Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
...what real new "performance car" with a big engine has been light these days? Its all about safety, comfort, and options and all of these add weight.
Corvette: 430HP and 3400lbs or 505hp and 3170lbs. Pretty light if you ask me.
But as I said before, lightweight materials come at a price.

You're right about safety standards, regulations, and equipment options. Those things do add weight.

All that said, I stand by my previous statement of what the weight shoudl come in at.

Quick Reply: Weight