2009 Camaro Engine!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000TransAmWS6
BETTER THINGS!?
i like the sound of that!

this is just my own opinion, but i highly doubt that the LS3 in the camaro will be rated at 430 hp... i would expect something like 390-405 hp out of an LS3 Camaro.
the LS3 for the Vette is supposed to be 430 hp, and GM has showed in the past that they do not want the Camaro affecting the sales of the Corvette, and we all know that means that they rate the camaro for less power..
If by 'rate' you mean 'put bold face lies about rated power on the stickers' than yes!
Old 06-08-2007, 05:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Times have changed since the last 2002 Camaro rolled off the assembly line. Everyone knew that the C5 and F-body made the same power did similar 1/4 mile times at the track. The Corvette and F-Body are in 2 different leauges.

Why would GM put a LS3 in a Camaro and advertise it as a 390-405 HP motor when the "old" LS2 made 400HP? The are not going to take a step backwards in marketing BS.

A 430HP Vette vs a 430HP Camaro is not the same. I've driven plenty of C5s and they are a totally different car than the F-Bodys.

My opinion on engine choices are:

- 3.6L V6 250 HP that gets around 30mpg (87 Octane)
- 5.3 or 6.2 L (G8 Motor) making around 350-365HP and getting 30mpg DoD (87 Octane)
- 6.2L LS3 430HP DoD 29mpg

I don't think there will be a big dawg engine option in the Camaro at all or maybe after its been out for 2 or more years.

Can't wait to see what will really happen though, I hope I remember this thread in 2 years to see how close or far off I was. lol....
Old 06-08-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billiumss
Times have changed since the last 2002 Camaro rolled off the assembly line. Everyone knew that the C5 and F-body made the same power did similar 1/4 mile times at the track. The Corvette and F-Body are in 2 different leauges.

Why would GM put a LS3 in a Camaro and advertise it as a 390-405 HP motor when the "old" LS2 made 400HP? The are not going to take a step backwards in marketing BS.

A 430HP Vette vs a 430HP Camaro is not the same. I've driven plenty of C5s and they are a totally different car than the F-Bodys.

My opinion on engine choices are:

- 3.6L V6 250 HP that gets around 30mpg (87 Octane)
- 5.3 or 6.2 L (G8 Motor) making around 350-365HP and getting 30mpg DoD (87 Octane)
- 6.2L LS3 430HP DoD 29mpg

I don't think there will be a big dawg engine option in the Camaro at all or maybe after its been out for 2 or more years.

Can't wait to see what will really happen though, I hope I remember this thread in 2 years to see how close or far off I was. lol....
on your first point you're exactly right, the point that i was making is that GM was putting basically the same motor in LS1 Corvettes and FBodies, but were "rating" the FBodies 30 hp less. my point might have been missed in what i said previously, but what i ment was don't expect them to say that a potential LS3 Camaro is 430hp weither it truely is or not.

wouldn't a 350-365hp 5.3L engine be a "step backwards" considering the previous sportscar engine from GM was a 400hp LS2?

at either rate i guess this is a totally MOOT point... GM's going to do whatever in the hell they want to do (if it makes sense to us or not), and we're still going to do our best to get our hands on one because we want to see the Camaro live on.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

Actually, the F-body LS1 and Vette LS1 had different cams, so they were different motors with different ratings. I think the truck cams did a little better than they thought though.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSTowerman
I'd be somewhat disappointed if the top end model camaro was not rated to compete with the GT500. There's no reason to remain under fords thumb anymore. In lieu of a comparable hp rating, I'd go for a factory stripped version without extra weight.

They were not "under Ford's Thumb" in performance. You forget that GM has the Vette to take the GT500. You can't compare an overpriced power added car to the "bang for the buck" F bods
Old 06-08-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that 430HP in the new Camaro would be a nice base V8 option. They HAVE to, and I stress HAVE, to make a Camaro to compete and destroy the GT500!
Old 06-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

I don't see the LS3 being the base v8, I see it being the largest v8. At least for a year or 2. They aren't going to throw a monster engine in it right off the bat.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:24 PM
.T.
TECH Resident

I really don't care about buildsheets anymore. Mine won't be stock once I get it home and it will become the version that the project engineers weren't allowed to build; again.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
Actually, the F-body LS1 and Vette LS1 had different cams, so they were different motors with different ratings. I think the truck cams did a little better than they thought though.
thanks for trying to help, but thats why i said "basically the same"
FYI: ALLDATA Online says that the Corvette cam has slightly less duration and slightly less lift than the FBodies did (might not have even been worth 5 hp compared head to head).

does anyone know if they are planning on using the same heads on the LS3 as they're currently using on the L92s?
i would think so, but haven't heard for certain.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

the LS3 will be the "big dog" engine... that is a big motor, with lots of power. I don't understand why many people want more, GM will literally shoot themselves in the foot if they try going any bigger. I already explained the concept of economic feasibility, and if GM(more specifically chevrolet) does not understand that concept, then they deserve to lose even more market share.

Don't get me wrong, i am a big fan a chevys, it is just that they have made many poor decisions. There are too many people on this forum saying they want more than the LS3, 90% of these people saying it will most likely either never even buy a camaro, or get a V6er!

Take ford for example, they only allowed a limited number of GT500 to be made, they ensured profitability, and they built the GT500s on the existing assembly line with a short efficient converted production run with the upgraded parts. The GT500s were literally sold before even being painted... Now that is smart business practices!
Old 06-09-2007, 05:51 AM
.T.
TECH Resident

I'm gonna say that 90% of the members of this THREAD will not only buy the Camaro but 100% of us will modify it.

The GT500 was a limited production car because Ford needed to keep their hat in the ring against the new Z06. And, Ford sucks so bad that they can't compete, let alone make money, in the sports car arena. I have a friend who owns a Ford store and he got stuck with 2 GT500's. One he just kept for himself and the other he blew out.

Can't compare the new Camaro to it, anyway.

Now back to topic..
Old 06-09-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000TransAmWS6
on your first point you're exactly right, the point that i was making is that GM was putting basically the same motor in LS1 Corvettes and FBodies, but were "rating" the FBodies 30 hp less. my point might have been missed in what i said previously, but what i ment was don't expect them to say that a potential LS3 Camaro is 430hp weither it truely is or not.

wouldn't a 350-365hp 5.3L engine be a "step backwards" considering the previous sportscar engine from GM was a 400hp LS2?

at either rate i guess this is a totally MOOT point... GM's going to do whatever in the hell they want to do (if it makes sense to us or not), and we're still going to do our best to get our hands on one because we want to see the Camaro live on.
But the last Camaro only had like 305-325 for it's TOP engine. That would make the 5.3L/6.0L an IMPROVEMENT on the performance package 3800 series 2 that was the old mid-level model....A BIG DIFFERENCE.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by screamingjimmy
I don't understand why many people want more, GM will literally shoot themselves in the foot if they try going any bigger.
The LS3 is great with 30hp more than the outgoingg LS2, which is basically the base V8 offered in the performance cars (Vette and GTO, TB SS). I could see a smaller V8(5.3?) maybe, to keep a lower cost V8 GT competetor around. I think that GM would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't make a option to take advantage of some bigger and better LS motors coming out!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So we all know the 2009 camaro will not be getting a LS2
this is true.

nor a LS7!
this is not true. the camaro could very well get an LS7. is it likely? no, in my opinion, however, for you to say "we all know the 2009 camaro will not be getting an LS7" is a lie. an LS7 could very easily make it into some form of a camaro, be it a Z28, SS or something else.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

No, the Camaro will NOT get an LS7!
LS7 will be OUT OF PRODUCTION before Camaro production starts.

How many friggin times do I have to say it lol.

It's in the sticky thread at the top of this forum too.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369

this is not true. the camaro could very well get an LS7. is it likely? no, in my opinion, however, for you to say "we all know the 2009 camaro will not be getting an LS7" is a lie. an LS7 could very easily make it into some form of a camaro, be it a Z28, SS or something else.

well not only is it coming to a production run end, the LS7 is a $13,000 crate engine, you tell me the logic of putting a $13,000 limited production hand assembled engine in a performance value-based sports car!
Old 06-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
No, the Camaro will NOT get an LS7!
LS7 will be OUT OF PRODUCTION before Camaro production starts.

How many friggin times do I have to say it lol.

It's in the sticky thread at the top of this forum too.
until the time comes when the engine is actually put out of production, then there is no real answer to that. GM can set a "date" to the public. it won't mean it will happen. there was some edmunds article that came out saying an LS7 could come in the '09 camaro. do i think it will? nah, but until the day comes when the LS7 is officially retired, then we can't say that.

the LS2 will definitely be out of production. that's for sure since the LS3 will be taking its place. there is NO substitute for an LS7 right now, so we can't say that the LS7 will really be retired. i doubt GM will retire the LS7 with no engine to take its place. either something new will come out, or the LS7's "retire date" will be pushed back.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Tech Resident

well not only is it coming to a production run end, the LS7 is a $13,000 crate engine, you tell me the logic of putting a $13,000 limited production hand assembled engine in a performance value-based sports car!
it's called a top dog camaro. why couldn't they put it in an SS? maybe this time they won't make the SS as common as the Z28. perhaps the SS will be a $45,000, limited model option - the way it should be. that way, every joe shmoe won't get an SS. perhaps the SS won't just be a hood this time. maybe it'll be a lot more.

in short, it's a very good decision to put a big engine like an LS7 into a limited edition, high horsepower camaro.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
there is NO substitute for an LS7 right now, so we can't say that the LS7 will really be retired.
There are two new 6.2s replacing the LS7..... I think they're the LS9, and the LSA.
We don't know much about them at this point, but they're coming.

That said, the LS7 will remain available as a crate motor for a while probably.
But it won't be going into any more production cars after the 2008 Corvette Z06.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GTODan
The last year of the LS1 both the one in the GTO and the one in the Corvette were 350HP.
All stock LS1's are 350 hp (not rwhp), despite factory ratings for the Camaros and Firebirds.