Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

2009 Camaro Engine!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
it's called a top dog camaro. why couldn't they put it in an SS? maybe this time they won't make the SS as common as the Z28. perhaps the SS will be a $45,000, limited model option - the way it should be. that way, every joe shmoe won't get an SS. perhaps the SS won't just be a hood this time. maybe it'll be a lot more.

in short, it's a very good decision to put a big engine like an LS7 into a limited edition, high horsepower camaro.
Who knows if there will be a Camaro SS for the 5th gen. As far as I know, they haven't announced it.

For all we know, the base model will be a v6 (3.6?). The next step, a base model v8 (5.3?) dubbed RS. And next the premium model v8 (6.2?) dubbed "factory race car" Z28. Who knows though until it is officially announced.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Launching!

the only way the LS7 will be used is in smaller production runs. there is no way they can maintain quality with larger production runs...
All LS7 engines are assembled by hand at GM's new Performance Build Center in Wixom , Mich.The exacting standards to which they are built include deck-plate boring and honing of the cylinders and even crank line-boring of the block with the deck plates and side bolts installed - procedures normally associated with the building of racing engines and almost unheard of in a production-vehicle engine."
Old 06-10-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

theres just 3.8 V6 in 2008!

sike! lol so what happend to pontiac? honestly why not a come back?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by foxrus14
The exacting standards to which they are built include deck-plate boring and honing of the cylinders and even crank line-boring of the block with the deck plates and side bolts installed - procedures normally associated with the building of racing engines and almost unheard of in a production-vehicle engine."

Does this mean the LS2 (mass produced) are less reliable or does the idea of the cherished Z06 LS7 being no longer made by hand hit hard with Corvette peeps?

I think the CTS-V and Camaro SS will have an LS7 on board.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think having the LS3 as the top dog V8 would be a very poor decision, unless it was the LS9 variant, which will probably be around the same price as a LS7(my guess).
Old 06-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

very poor decision in your view, or economic feasibility wise?
Old 06-11-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would put money that LS3 with DoD will be the top production motor for a couple of reasons...

1) Govts are moving towards penalizing vehicles that do not hit a certain fuel economy or those that do not leverage technologies like flex fuel or DoD. (Canada just introduced legislation that penalizes gas guzzlers up to 4000 bucks)

2) It makes production and economic sense to rationalize the engine lineup across many platforms

3) The new high feature 260-275hp DOHC V6 will be base imo followed by a possible DoD 5.3 and defiinitely the DoD Ls3 as the top motor choice outside of special run Camaros.

4) 6L80E will be standard auto trans choice and aT56 the standard manual trans choice

I'll have mine in silver with 6L80E, perf axle ratio and 430 plus HP LS3 please

3000 stall converter and you'll be flying!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, that 6L80E is gonna be something that's for sure, the only thing i question about a six speed tranny is how much extra rotational loss will be realized over a plain jane 4L60E?

I am guessing that the 6L80E is a triple planetary, (does anyone know for sure?)
Old 06-11-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the T56 will be replaced with the TR5050 found in the GT500 and new viper (and possibly ZO6?)

Ill take mine black on black with LS3 and a stick
Old 06-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
There are two new 6.2s replacing the LS7..... I think they're the LS9, and the LSA.
We don't know much about them at this point, but they're coming.

That said, the LS7 will remain available as a crate motor for a while probably.
But it won't be going into any more production cars after the 2008 Corvette Z06.
i think you're putting too much stock in hearsay. respectfully, you're coming off like too much of a know-it-all with this car. i won't exhaust every option until the car rolls off the showroom floor and into my local dealership. GM has a longstanding history of not being completely honest with its customers, let alone its competition. maybe they'll pull an elvis - claim something is dead, then bring it back in all its fury. i refuse to take ANY of the "facts" posted in the sticky at the top of this forum as fact. why? because the only FACT here is that anything can happen at this point. we still got a loooong way to go before this thing rolls off the assembly line.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:54 AM
Launching!

I would be willing to bet money on two scenarios.

The Z28 gets a 5.3L or the 6.2 LS3. The SS is pretty much guaranteed to be equipped with the LS3. Hopefully they will put out way more HP than the SLP cars of the last generation versus the standard Z28 HP
Old 06-14-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Dude do some research before you post, You car years/what motor's they got are way off
Old 06-14-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you're putting too much stock in hearsay. respectfully, you're coming off like too much of a know-it-all with this car. i won't exhaust every option until the car rolls off the showroom floor and into my local dealership. GM has a longstanding history of not being completely honest with its customers, let alone its competition. maybe they'll pull an elvis - claim something is dead, then bring it back in all its fury. i refuse to take ANY of the "facts" posted in the sticky at the top of this forum as fact. why? because the only FACT here is that anything can happen at this point. we still got a loooong way to go before this thing rolls off the assembly line.
Sure lots of things are possible between now and production.
Everything posted in the sticky facts thread is backed up by good info straight from the horse's mouth, not based on heresay.
Yes there is a TON of heresay going around about this car, but rest assured only factual information will be posted in that sticky thread.

All I want is for people to have accurate information, and not buy into stories that aren't true.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
Sure lots of things are possible between now and production.
Everything posted in the sticky facts thread is backed up by good info straight from the horse's mouth, not based on heresay.
Yes there is a TON of heresay going around about this car, but rest assured only factual information will be posted in that sticky thread.

All I want is for people to have accurate information, and not buy into stories that aren't true.
coming out of GM's mouth, i still consider it hearsay. they'll say anything to draw a crowd and throw off the competition. it doesn't mean that it's true. i don't care if it's bob lutz, dennis at the chevy dealer or fred who knows a guy that knows a guy - until it rolls off the assembly line and into the dealerships, i trust no one. but that's just me...
Old 06-15-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

until it rolls off the assembly line and into the dealerships, i trust no one. but that's just me...
You're right, its just you.

Seriously though, I think Octane has some "in" with the GM guys. I trust him. And if he's wrong, oh well! My thoughts are that if GM invited him to a conference regarding the new Camaro, they're not gonna BS him too much.

Another thing to consider is that GM is gonna want to spread the cost of the LS3 as much as possible, which makes it a shoe-in for the Camaro. They'd be stupid to NOT put the LS3 in. Now a 5.3l in the Camaro, i dont care either way. I'm buying an LS3 Camaro.