GM will keep the Camaro affordable

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008 | 06:37 PM
Launching!

Ss>z28
Old 02-17-2008 | 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship
The dreamers here want a 2800 lbs Camaro with all the options, 600 hp, that costs only $22,000.........buy those lotto tickets and keep dreaming!!!!!
Herein lies the issues for the OEMs... They keep adding reg to cars for safety (ie weight), and more mileage. Settlemire already said if the car isn't a 5-star crash rating, they won't be able to sell it because no one will be able to afford insurance. The materials needed to make a car light are too expensive, and the new CAFE is a very big deal. The fact this car was not killed yet amazes me. But we need TPMS in every car, don't we?

I fear we are reentering the decade like 75-85, because like then it will take a long time to catch up, and in the meantime we are gonna be letdown across the board. I just hope there is still a mid model V8 that can be hopped up like a SBC could in the 70s.

I expected a base V6, a V8 (like a 5.3) and maybe a top end V8 (base vette motor). Now I am not too sure about the lower end V8. Might not happen, at least at 1st. Magazines are already writing there will only be 7500 V8 Camaros 1st year, due to 'engine production capacity'. I don't buy that.

Pricewise, the Subaru turbos & Evos being driven are in the $35k range. So I might expect the top Camaro in that range.

Oh yeah, Z28>SS, at least if you look at the history. Hell, SS was a trim package back in the pre-camaro days. Cars were sold before 1996. LOL
Old 02-17-2008 | 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Wallywall
Ss>z28
I knew one of the thousand members would have to say that.

Reason behind my assumption:

The "SS" badge to me just seems to be a regular lineup designation. The SS badge now is what it basically what it was decades ago (im sure people with disagree). To me, it used to be a higher performance and option combo from the factory over its base trims. The "Z" designation (Z28,Z06) now, to me, seems to be the highest designation before the "Z_-#" (ZL-1, ZR-1). Hence my rationale. The SS of the current time seems to be the Z of the 90s. So my reasoning goes beyond just because "there can only be one Z28".

While I doesnt tickle my feather heavily, it makes sense to me at the current time and considering the current trends in GM badging. I would prolly shoot for a L76 Camaro SS.

Who knows they could offer a LS3 optional and other GMPP options on the SS trim for additional $. I think that could get more people in the ballgame.

Maybe a SS could be standard with a L76 and LE1 suspension, SS appearance, some sort of GMPP drag pack optional, and LS3 optional.

Maybe a Z28 could be standard with LS3 and LE3 suspension, M6 only, Z28 appearance, and some sort of GMPP handling package optional.

Who knows. Im guessing just like any one else.
Old 02-17-2008 | 07:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by LSjinx

Maybe a Z28 could be standard with LS3 and LE3 suspension, M6 only, Z28 appearance, and some sort of GMPP handling package optional.

Who knows. Im guessing just like any one else.
They had better not pull that M6 only bullshit on an LS3 Camaro. If so, I will look right past the Camaro so fast it's not even funny. I can get an A5 in the 6.1L/425hp Challenger, and an A6 in the LS3/430hp Corvette, but no A6 in the Camaro? Screw that.

I will definitely just move on to a C6 (or maybe Challenger?) if I can't get a 400+ HP Camaro with an A6.
Old 02-17-2008 | 07:58 PM
Banned

Ok folks , one more time.
Plain Jane Camaro ~ 6 cylinder,maybe with duals
Z/28 ~ 5.3 liter V8
SS ~ LS2
This is all that is really required to be competitive with the Fords & would be the most cost effect package & still have a V8 come in under $29,995.00 maybe even lower than that .
350 HP is about all the Fords will be able to muster if that much for their base line GT. Of course they will have a multitude of Mach 1's & Bullet's etc. but the SS will handle them easily but only if they keep that curb weight down .
Old 02-17-2008 | 08:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
Z/28 ~ 5.3 liter V8
SS ~ LS2
This is all that is really required to be competitive with the Fords & would be the most cost effect package & still have a V8 come in under $29,995.00 maybe even lower than that .
350 HP is about all the Fords will be able to muster if that much for their base line GT. Of course they will have a multitude of Mach 1's & Bullet's etc. but the SS will handle them easily but only if they keep that curb weight down .
There is no chance in hell that the LS2 will be in the new Camaro. LS2 is over. That is all.
Old 02-17-2008 | 08:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
Z/28 ~ 5.3 liter V8
SS ~ LS2
Haven't really done your research huh?

I'm actually really looking forward to a kickass v6. 281hp is not too shabby and will keep up with quite a few cars' top models. I'm definitely not getting the v6, but damn it would be cool to see a 6 banger camaro smoke the crap out of cars thought of as 'higher end' (low end v8 mustangs, 350z's, etc).

I'm hoping we see direct injection in the low end v8, because that's the model I'm going for. I see no reason to blow 40k+ on a top model when I can reach/surpass its hp numbers with the lower end model. I'm all about performance per $.

I also believe the top end model will still be SS. When the z28 and SS have coexisted, the SS was always a higher end model.
Old 02-18-2008 | 09:36 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Chadder
When the z28 and SS have coexisted, the SS was always a higher end model.
Not true.

During the 1st gen era, Z28 was the top option. If you ordered every group possibile, the car would be an RS/SS/Z28, with Z28 being the final package, and the Z28-only engine would supersede the SS engine in that group.
Old 02-19-2008 | 01:36 AM
On The Tree

In the 1st generation neither the SS or the Z28 was the top model, in the later years (1970's into the 1980's)the Z28 became the top model then the SS was added to the Z28 for extra power options on the 4th gen cars.

The 1st gen camaros the SS was the bigger engine models but not necessarily the best handling of the Camaro line where the Z28 was closer to racer model set up to go around corners. Yes I know the SS350 isn't exactly a big engine but it is bigger than 302, and remember the biggest engine available in an SS Camaro was only 46 inches bigger than 350.

Everyone here has to understand that all Chevrolet models have trim options or special models carry a "Z" option code....like the SS Chevelles have the option code Z16, Z28 is just the option code that turned into the model name.

The Z28 will end up being the base V8 Camaro with the L76 and any SS cars will end up with something more powerful like the LS3. The Z28 has too much name identity with the public for it to be the lower production high power model. GM may go a totally different route but this is how the past models have been tiered. If the A6 is offered in the Camaro (I can't see why not), the SS will get it because it is used behind the LS3 in the Corvette and would appeal to a larger audience in todays market.
Old 04-17-2008 | 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i ll be waiting for a trans am, or maybe in a couple years will get a corvette... like in 5-6 years lol
Old 04-18-2008 | 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

All we know is that the SS model will cost us our 1st born, and maybe your 2nd.
Old 05-02-2008 | 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dam in 16 more years the prices will drop to what 4th gens are now. I'll be able to afford one then to maybe my son wil ldrive it to high school an hot rod it hopefully it comes a 6 speed with a hurst shifter **** an the memorys will all comeback. Give it a few years they'll be just like my 4th gen now everything fades out or goes some just go out in different ways.
Old 05-02-2008 | 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

This thread should get the "Most Hijacked Thread of the Forum Award".

Let's recap:

1. Unions suck.

2. Camaro WILL come out, and there will be a V8 making North of 350 HP (L76 or LS3) for under 30K.

3. Everyone needs to relax.

...have a nice weekend.
Old 05-02-2008 | 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wannabess00
Oh yes the audasity of these union workers demanding fair pay, Health insurance for there families,retirment plans for their 30 years of service.
This is the issue, right here. This is why people are sick and tired of unions.

WORKERS DON'T DEMAND A THING!!! EMPLOYERS HAVE THE JOBS. Here's the pay. Here's the benefits. Take it... or leave it.

Employees holding an employer hostage and artificially inflating the cost of a skillset (repetitively putting the same four bolts in the same place 500 times each day isn't worth $60K. It isn't. No, seriously... IT ISN'T!!!)

God Bless Texas. If my employees don't like me, the pay or the benefits, they are free to leave. If I don't like them, i'm free to fire them. Here's the offer. Take it or leave it.

Demand. Like you're "owed" a job. Like the constitution promises whatever job YOU CHOOSE is going to make you a lot of money, and you're going to have health insurance. ROTFLMAO!!!
Old 05-07-2008 | 07:09 PM
STF Veteran

I'm going to have to agree with yyz28.

I have to deal with union labor 3 times a year for conventions and about 80% of the time everyone they send to help me (usually 3 or 4 at a time) is sorry and has a very weak work ethic.

My opinion and experience (which is somewhat limited) is that unions breed lazy people who think they can't be fired.

Quick Reply: GM will keep the Camaro affordable