Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Are any of yall going to actually buy it??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by primer84z
im going go ahead and say it. THERE WILL NOT BE A V8 UNDER 30K. A stripper GTO was 30k.... 3 YEARS AGO. Prices in cars do not go down, they go up with inflation. How much was a 67 camaro? 4 or 5 grand? Well **** I should be able to get a 2010 with a big block for 8k!!!
There was no stripper GTO. The only options were 18"s and A4 or M6.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can anyone in their right mind commit to buy a Camaro when the public doesn't even know what the drivetrain is(engines)?
Old 02-17-2008, 02:53 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by TR GTO
There was no stripper GTO. The only options were 18"s and A4 or M6.
And the SAP package also, right?
Old 02-17-2008, 03:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by mzoomora
And the SAP package also, right?
LOL! SAP = System Applications and Products. My mind is always at work these days. Wonder if there is a car related meaning for the acronym JDE as well?

But yes, the sport appearance package was also an option on GTOs.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:01 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
LOL! SAP = System Applications and Products. My mind is always at work these days. Wonder if there is a car related meaning for the acronym JDE as well?

But yes, the sport appearance package was also an option on GTOs.
Or Secondary Audio Program.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have every intention to get one. As long as the production Camaro looks like the Concept car. I might wait a year after production so they can work out any kinks they may have.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Listen under 30k for an LS3 with an M6 is reasonable.

This thing is not a house or a piece of land that in a few years will be worth more...

This is a car that in a single year will experience massive depreciation.

W
Old 02-17-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WECIV
Listen under 30k for an LS3 with an M6 is reasonable.

This thing is not a house or a piece of land that in a few years will be worth more...

This is a car that in a single year will experience massive depreciation.

W
because its not a good investment doesnt mean it will be cheap.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Doesn't a base model Mustang Ford start at around 28k? I think you'd be hard pressed to expect GM to do any better. And I'm getting a little wary of waiting for this car to come out. Meanwhile, they're out making Shelby Mustang Knight Rider! I like the new mustangs (highly equipped and tricked) but WTF? That's like telling me they're shooting a Martin Luther King documentary film starring Andy Dick. By the time they finally release this car, we'll be puttin around in hover cars like Back to the Future.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The base Ford Mustang GT starts at $26000
http://autos.yahoo.com/ford_mustang/

However good luck finding a car that has no optional features...

GM's current V8 Sedans (Impala SS, Grand Prix GXP, G8 GT) all start at just under $30,000 (again not going to find too many cars with no options).

The GXP and SS have the 5.3 LS4, while the G8 has the L76(?)

Expect the base V8 to start at $28-30k based off those models.

GM has said more than once the new Camaro will be competively priced, not same as the Mustang
Old 02-17-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

back to topic, I plan on buying a Camaro within the first few years of production
Old 02-18-2008, 03:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry off topic again for a second...40k for a challenger srt-8...so yea 25k sounds reasonable...mid 30's is my guess and that wouldnt be the top of the line either
Old 02-18-2008, 07:20 AM
Staging Lane

I won't be buying until maybe '12 at the earliest, but right now I am intending to get either a used C6Z, new base model C7, or new top dog Camaro.

Comparing the 5th gen to the 4th gen, I prefer the looks of the 4th.

According to (http://www.leftlanenews.com/a-detail...tor-plans.html)
The top dog Camaro should get the LS8 which is another version of the S/C 6.2L that is estimated to make somewhere between 475-500bhp. It would also stand to reason that the LS8 will have factory forged internals.

As everyone knows, it is stupid easy to make rediculous gains from a factory S/C big cube motor. Aftermarket CAI, Pulley, Headers, Cat-back, Tune and say hello to at least 100 more bhp.

I know there are a lot of 5th gen bashers (it's gonna be heavy, etc.) with me included. But there will be some envy among us.

I won't decide of course until I see the C7 and 5th gen up close and take them for a spin.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
How can anyone in their right mind commit to buy a Camaro when the public doesn't even know what the drivetrain is(engines)?
I'm saving money for the car, but I'm also waiting until this information is released. As much as I'm loving the new Camaro, if it doesn't come out the way I want it, all my savings will go toward my '99.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28
I won't be buying until maybe '12 at the earliest, but right now I am intending to get either a used C6Z, new base model C7, or new top dog Camaro.

Comparing the 5th gen to the 4th gen, I prefer the looks of the 4th.

According to (http://www.leftlanenews.com/a-detail...tor-plans.html)
The top dog Camaro should get the LS8 which is another version of the S/C 6.2L that is estimated to make somewhere between 475-500bhp. It would also stand to reason that the LS8 will have factory forged internals.

As everyone knows, it is stupid easy to make rediculous gains from a factory S/C big cube motor. Aftermarket CAI, Pulley, Headers, Cat-back, Tune and say hello to at least 100 more bhp.

I know there are a lot of 5th gen bashers (it's gonna be heavy, etc.) with me included. But there will be some envy among us.

I won't decide of course until I see the C7 and 5th gen up close and take them for a spin.
From that same article...

This motor will start production in first or second quarter of 2010.
If this is the case, how could this engine be ready for the February 2009 launch of the Camaro?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'll wait for the supercharged one. If it's priced at $38K like the SRT challenger and gt500 mustang..it would be ok...more bang for the buck. $40K might be a bit hard to stomach....but still might do it keeping in mind the car is a keeper. I'd love to see a stripper race version radio delete and all. I'd still have to compare to the used Z06 vette's that will be around the same price in a couple years.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by WECIV
If it is 25k for a M6 LS3...yeah I will buy a new one.

If it is not...I will wait and get a used one or something else.

W
You want a 5K rebate and 0 interest also don't you?

The GTO didn't sell for several reasons, in my opinion:

The folks selling all brands of cars today aren't car people. The industry doesn't pay what it once did. Who wants to work bell to bell 7 days a week? How can the current sales staff be turned on about the NEW GTO when they never drove, rode, or saw the old style?

If you go to Wal-Mart to buy a mountain bike what do your get? Naturally a mountain bike. If you visit a high end Bike Store looking for a Mountain Bike what do you get. A Mountain Bike naturally but also an education why the high end bike costs more than the bike at Wal Mart. Todays car sales associates all act the same, way? They have been trained to identify the personality of the customer in the first five min. They know they are wasting their time with a flake or anyone credit challenged.

In order for the Camaro to last longer than the last Camaro the industry needs more than order takes. Price who knows? The SS HHR is simnilar in price to what this person thinks is in his range. If we can't build VALUE in the new Camaro it will be dead in five years.

A grumpy sometimes angry old man and his dog - Jake
Old 02-18-2008, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

If the new Z-28 is 35K I will wait to get a used one. I think the styling is OK, better than the mustang at least. Things should get interesting between the big three again with the Challenger coming out this year. Now all we need is a new WS-6
Old 02-18-2008, 01:49 PM
m6z
12 Second Club

As long as the price is inline with the mustang I will buy one.

Even though it prob. won't happen I really hope the you will be able to buy a base v8 model with manual windows and locks. Few are going to want a car without ac and a radio, but I do think the manual locks and windows should be an option.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Teching In

if it's over 35,000 it wont be an option, if its less it will be in my garage.

Quick Reply: Are any of yall going to actually buy it??