Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

What if the camaro isnt what we thought

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tex7387
Ok, if they haven't figured out the powerplant yet, then its already over. GM has some great powerplants to work with, and IMHO, if the LS3/LS7 is good enough for the vette, then they should have no problem setting one in a Camaro.
Im sick of hearin the LS7

They will not put that motor into a normal production car, its far to damn expensive, it was ment for Z06s only that cost much more.

LS3 is more like it
Old 03-01-2008, 11:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,560 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by crazycamaro496
Just because GM lost $37.8 billion last year does not mean they would be out of business. That simply means it would actually cost them more money to shut down and go out of business than it does to stay in business and continue losing money. Their fixed costs are much higher than the $37.8 billion. They would have to pay the employees, costs for their facilities and plants, companies they owe money to (Dupont, Onstar, etc) all of the money if they shut down today. So in reality they are losing billions upon billions, but it makes more sense for them to stay in business. Things will eventually turn around...
I don't think you guys are getting it. GM did not lose $37.8 billion in cash for '07. Their actual operational loss for North America was more like 1.1 billion for '07, though sales were up overall.

This 37.8 billion loss that people love to throw around lately was due mostly to writing off unused tax credits. It's simply not as bad as you people seem to think.

GM's stock continues to remain much stronger than Ford's. In the global perspective, GM isn't doing so bad. They just need to boost North American sales further.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't think you guys are getting it. GM did not lose $37.8 billion in cash for '07. Their actual operational loss for North America was more like 1.1 billion for '07, though sales were up overall.

This 37.8 billion loss that people love to throw around lately was due mostly to writing off unused tax credits. It's simply not as bad as you people seem to think.

GM's stock continues to remain much stronger than Ford's. In the global perspective, GM isn't doing so bad. They just need to boost North American sales further.

Yeah, I understand. I don't know what the exact figures were...I haven't seen them yet. I believe in '06 it was $7 or 8 billion, but I was just going with the $38 because that was mentioned above. It is true about them losing the billions of dollars every year, but they (or Ford or Chrysler) won't shut down. The government wouldn't allow it to happen, that would be the straw that broke the camel's back for the US' economy.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about yoiu guys, but I think a turbo four in one of the lower packages would be really cool! I still idolize the Thunderbird Turbo-Coupe, what with it's massive engine bay space without the 302 sitting there and good handling. A turbo four would make a very good road racer because of the favorable weight bias and lighterweight overall, not to mention it would get fantastic gas mileage....

But once again, I think an eight fully deserves the top two rungs or so.

One of those TT-sixes that Holden has might change my mind a bit...
Old 03-01-2008, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
And if they had actually lost $37.8 billion in cash, they would currently be out of busniess. My comments above apply here too. That was not an operational loss, but rather due to unused tax credits. Try to look past the media spin. For some reason, the American media loves to give everything related to GM a much worse spin than the actual facts dictate
Thanks for the information. I would like to be optimistic about GM's future and your comments help me to be slightly less pessimistic.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A turbo 4 would be a great entry level vehicle and would be able to make more power than the six they are probably thinking about putting in now. A turbo six would be better, but a V8 is really what should be in there for the z28/ss/whatever models. GM will be fine. You all don't think one of the largest car companies in the world is going out of business do you?
Old 03-01-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

It wont be a camaro without the v8, if it wasnt optioned, i believe they would loose a lot of sells to the c6, challenger, mustang, g8. I just hope GM doesnt f*&# this up

Last edited by foreverzero; 03-01-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

I think they know what Combo is going into it already just don't want to say, for some reason some dumb *** at GM thinks its a good marketing strategy to keep it hush hush. Its obvious they don't know jack about marketing or there would be an 03,04,05,06,07and 08 Camaro.

I want a 5thgen but GM is ridiculous, and this is coming from a camaro guy.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtmiller92
I think they know what Combo is going into it already just don't want to say, for some reason some dumb *** at GM thinks its a good marketing strategy to keep it hush hush. Its obvious they don't know jack about marketing or there would be an 03,04,05,06,07and 08 Camaro.
I think you're on to something here.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like many others I am eagerly awaiting the Camaro, in-fact I check Chevy.com every day just to see if the tiniest bit of information has changed. I am a little frustrated with waiting but I am still going to get myself a new Camaro...whether it's a lease or to own I will have one.

I would like to note that I don't like the idea of a Charger weighted Camaro. I'm pretty sure GM has realized that the people who enjoy Camaros to the fullest extent aren't going to dump 25k+ into a 3800+ lb car that claims to compete with the Mustang. I'm fairly optimistic that they will use half fiberglass and steel to create a performance oriented "zeta body" and if they do we may end up with a car within 150-200 lbs of our 4th gens.

If GM plans on succeeding in their creation of the new Camaro they would be very mindful of the weight factor in the 6cyl models as well. The weight greatly affects gas mileage in all cars and SUV's and they MUST keep that in mind. I don't care how gas thrifty of a lower end 6cyl they release, if it's a fat pig people will know it and the base for all the performance oriented V8's will fall from beneath them.

GM PLEASE CUT THE FAT FROM OUR F-BODY/Z-BODY(s)!!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:04 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

They're losing money in North America, but flourishing in the rest of the world. Therefore, they're not going anywhere. All that profit comes back here.

We had a four cylinder Camaro once.....it was called the Berlinetta.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
They're losing money in North America, but flourishing in the rest of the world. Therefore, they're not going anywhere. All that profit comes back here.

We had a four cylinder Camaro once.....it was called the Berlinetta.
And it was a nice friggin car!

Say what you want, but I loved the Recaro seats that came with it!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slick1851

They will not put that motor into a normal production car, its far to damn expensive, it was ment for Z06s only that cost much more.

LS3 is more like it
I was simply saying they have options for powerplants, I don't really feel they will put an LS7 in a production Camaro, maybe a SE Camaro (not highly likely, but hell, stranger things have happened). Its not like I was saying they were going to put the LS9 in the new Camaro.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:35 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

LS3 and 3700-3900lbs Im confident.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

Would GM ever debut a new engine in the Camaro? Could the GenV LSx come out first in the Camaro and then move to the Corvette, or even debut it in both cars at the same time?

Think about the coup that would be. "yeah we're late to the party, but our engines are DI, with VVT, and cylinder deactivation, they're both smaller and far more fuel effiecent than our competitors."
Old 03-02-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sinner
Would GM ever debut a new engine in the Camaro? Could the GenV LSx come out first in the Camaro and then move to the Corvette, or even debut it in both cars at the same time?

Think about the coup that would be. "yeah we're late to the party, but our engines are DI, with VVT, and cylinder deactivation, they're both smaller and far more fuel effiecent than our competitors."
Welllllllll.

Probably, but the guys on here all have LS3 hard ons so get the camera out to get their faces when the new motors are released...
Old 03-02-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slick1851

LS3 is more like it
Its a nice thought, But I agree with you. They hand-build the LS7 engines for the Z06. And.. I dont think they are going to be putting the LS7 into the Camaro for at least the first year of production. MAYBE once the ZR1 vette comes out, they might consider putting the LS7 into the Camaro, only because I think GM wants the vette to be more powerful than the Camaro.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

Originally Posted by Gary Z
GM's 2007 loss was $37.8 billion! This loss is nearly three times the current value of the entire company ($13.1 billion).
The sad thing is that the oil companys are making the largest margie of profit ever and that is thanx to BUSH. So give it about another year prices should start coming down as soon as there is some one else in office. Bush and his buddies are getting rich though.

But on a different note IF by some strange *** chance the Camaro sucks this is what I would strongely consider buying.

Its the K1 Attack a built car weighing 1850lbs with 320bhp Mid Engine powered car.

But I truly think that GM will do us right and make the Camaro bad ***. It will be the dealers that will drive the prices sky high, but if people are stupid enough to pay it, it will only make it harder for those of us that dont have that deep of pockets for a 60k Camaro.

Off my soap box now.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fastTransAm
The sad thing is that the oil companys are making the largest margie of profit ever and that is thanx to BUSH. So give it about another year prices should start coming down as soon as there is some one else in office. Bush and his buddies are getting rich though.
thanx for the useless info. i dislike bush as much as the next guy, but if ur gonna rag on him at least tie it to some facts.

as far as the camaro not being all it's cracked up to be, it will be hard for gm to build a car with the performance, style, fit and finish, and price we all want. seriously, we all want z06 performance for half the price. not gonna happen! all i hope for is that it outperforms the 4th gen and the mustang. small steps forward are better than nothin.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:08 AM
10 Second Club

i think the new camaro is gonna be a big let down imo.

but i hope they prove me wrong, cause i dont wanna be the one saying i told you so

-brandon

Quick Reply: What if the camaro isnt what we thought