Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

What if the camaro isnt what we thought

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

What wall are you reading? Sounds like regurgitated liberial media BS to me. They like to put a doomsday spin on everything they can, but you have to remember that *how* they tell the story can often change the nature of the story itself. GM did not lose billions in cash for '07, they are offering buyouts to highly paid workers that are at or near retirement age, with the hopes of creating jobs for younger workers at lower salaries to keep operational expenses down. You want something to worry about? Worry about Ford. Here are the stock prices as of the close of Wall Street on 2/29/08: GM: $23.28, Ford: $6.53.
Um yea.. The price of the actual stock share has absolutely nothing to do with the value of the company. Each corp. is split into a different number of shares. Say for instance (using your numbers), if Ford was split into 1,000 shares and GM was only split into 100 then do the math and you see Ford is worth $653,000 and GM only $232,800.

Granted I do not know how evenly GM & Ford's stocks are divided. They could be of equal value, I didnt check. However, my point is you just cant make an assumption about the value of a company by looking at it's stock price.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Safe to say there aren't a lot of accountants here. That $37 billion loss is a very scary number, but when you actually analyze what caused it, it really is nothing. Without getting too involved, it was a bunch of deferred expenses (expenses incurred in one year, but not claimed until later) among other things.

I won't sit here and tell you GM is doing fine, but things are certainly not as grim as the media makes it look. That said, I'm still in "wait and see" mode for this new car. I'm hopeful that it won't dissapoint, but I've been wrong before - and if I'm wrong, then my '99 will get a lot of new parts!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1fastTransAm
The sad thing is that the oil companys are...
This is one of the top 3 worst posts I've ever read on LS1 Tech, and I've been here since late '02.

America's brains are becoming more and more slushy. I blame it on TV. I really do. No joke.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Safe to say there aren't a lot of accountants here. That $37 billion loss is a very scary number, but when you actually analyze what caused it, it really is nothing. Without getting too involved, it was a bunch of deferred expenses (expenses incurred in one year, but not claimed until later) among other things.

I won't sit here and tell you GM is doing fine, but things are certainly not as grim as the media makes it look. That said, I'm still in "wait and see" mode for this new car. I'm hopeful that it won't dissapoint, but I've been wrong before - and if I'm wrong, then my '99 will get a lot of new parts!
im pretty sure GM is claiming these huge losses to "encourage" employees to WANT to take the buy out packages. if they think the company is gonna go **** up fast, they'll settle for a lower buyout package. one in the hand is worth two in the bush and GM needs to streamline things, so why not?

Quick Reply: What if the camaro isnt what we thought