Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

GMI Exclusive: Camaro Monza Caught!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo I4 would be awesome because it would be cheap and easy as Hell to mod!!!

W
Old 04-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

4-Banger Camaro will be looked at the same way the 4-Door Charger was looked upon... Both Lame!!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

4 Door Charger is an excellent vehicle, period.

W
Old 04-06-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WECIV
4 Door Charger is an excellent vehicle, period.

W
+1.

It may not be a true Charger, but it is one hell of a sedan for the money! If the car had been called a Coronet, would you guys be bitching? Hell no....
Old 04-07-2008, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

If they really did it, I would simply swap out the 4 to a V-8.
Sure the power may be there from a 4, but the sound and the feeling of an 8 can't be replicated. Plus with the lighter weight it should be the same or better then a 4th gen.
IF THIS WERE TRUE.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

We are not saying do not make V8 M@ROs...we are just saying the turbo I4 would be an easily modable base engine.

W
Old 04-07-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

If GM puts a Turbo I4 in a zeta, it better not be called a camaro. Hopfully if there is any truth to this article, they are testing a different model based on the zeta platform, and not actually considering a 4 cylinder camaro. I dont care how "modable" it is... the sound of an I4 from under a camaro's hood would be repulsive.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

An aggressive boosted I4 can sound very mean.

I hope there is also a Turbo Diesel M@RO...that would really make my day.

Why does it only need to have a V8 and lord forbid a V6?

W
Old 04-07-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
If GM puts a Turbo I4 in a zeta, it better not be called a camaro. Hopfully if there is any truth to this article, they are testing a different model based on the zeta platform, and not actually considering a 4 cylinder camaro. I dont care how "modable" it is... the sound of an I4 from under a camaro's hood would be repulsive.
No, you know what is repulsive? Getting the same damn car year after year, model after model. It's time for some change.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
No, you know what is repulsive? Getting the same damn car year after year, model after model. It's time for some change.
well the there are plenty of other models to choose from. a pony car by definition is a V8 powered vehicle. the base models which help keep up sales and keep the car alive are powered by V6 engines. all of you wanting a I4 so bad don't make any sense, get a sky or solstive if you want a turbo 4. o you want 4 seats get a civic or something. repulsive? give me a ******* break.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you don't like a RWD V8, don't buy a Camaro. Its that simple.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WECIV
An aggressive boosted I4 can sound very mean.

I hope there is also a Turbo Diesel M@RO...that would really make my day.

Why does it only need to have a V8 and lord forbid a V6?

W
Because its a CAMARO!!! ( Not a M@RO)

If they put an I4 in a zeta, cool, just don't market it as a Camaro. The majority of the target audience won't buy a 4 cylinder...
Old 04-07-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Why can you not have a M@RO with an turbo I4? Geez ppl they are going to have a V8 model for us...but I am seeing how can we sell as many of these as possible to lower the cost of our V8. Easily modable I4 could do the trick. If you do not want a boosted ecotec...don't buy it.

I do want a Turbo Diesel though!!!

W
Old 04-07-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
If you don't like a RWD V8, don't buy a Camaro. Its that simple.
What the **** do you think I'm driving, ********?

You talk as if the V8 is the ONLY MODEL GM will EVER offer. Give me a freaking break...

Apparantly drivetrain variety isn't anything that concerns you guys...

Not to mention the fact that the turbo ecotec is "technically" seen as a more performance-oriented mill than the lowly HF 3.6. What strikes you as more exciting sounding, hearing that your engine came from a car that beat the Porsche Cayman around the 'Ring, or hearing that your engine came from a car that can't beat a Camry in the quarter mile...Not to mention anything with a boost gauge will sell like hot cakes to the ricer crowd...

To me, the turbo Ecotec makes all the sense in the world...What was the phrase I heard earlier? Oh yeah...

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

If they can pull the power of a V6 with the economy of a I4, I say go for it. It doesnt really matter to my what the Base Model is, because IF i buy a Camaro, it will be the top dog. End of story.

-People who say that a Turbo 4 sounds bad in a Camaro... Well in my opinion, a V6 with exhaust doesnt quite sound right coming from a Camaro either. So who cares?!

If the base models make cars like Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger sell, and GM decides they will sell more base models with a Turbo-4 than with a V6, I say go for it. The more they sell, the more likely I will be able to get a V8!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

What the **** do you think I'm driving, ********?

You talk as if the V8 is the ONLY MODEL GM will EVER offer. Give me a freaking break...

Apparantly drivetrain variety isn't anything that concerns you guys...

Not to mention the fact that the turbo ecotec is "technically" seen as a more performance-oriented mill than the lowly HF 3.6. What strikes you as more exciting sounding, hearing that your engine came from a car that beat the Porsche Cayman around the 'Ring, or hearing that your engine came from a car that can't beat a Camry in the quarter mile...Not to mention anything with a boost gauge will sell like hot cakes to the ricer crowd...

To me, the turbo Ecotec makes all the sense in the world...What was the phrase I heard earlier? Oh yeah...

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.

your cool

If you eally need to resort to calling me a ********, your obviously not mature enough to be posting here. Im not going to post in this thread anymore because i can see its going to get locked if i do. You got alot of growing up to do buddy, and your hearing this from a 20 year old.

/my contribution to this thread.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i think it would be pretty cool...it will give people that cant shell out the money for the v8 because of msrp or insurance the chance to own one... it could also help keep the camaro around longer due to the cafe regulations...the question i have...if you could either keep the camaro platform around with an i4 or v6, or get rid of the whole platform just because it didnt have a v8...which one would you choose...but like someone else said...it wouldnt be the first time a 4 banger has been in the camaro...
Old 04-08-2008, 05:54 AM
Staging Lane

An I4 would not have sufficient power to get that HUGE HEAVY Camaro up the most mild incline. I would be funny to see all the kill stories from the Ford Focus dominating the Camaro (Similar motors, 1/4 of the weight). Most cars that weight 3,7-3,800lbs with an 4-banger...... Well, I guess I don't need to explain this anymore. I guess after some of you put an intake, big muffler, and huge stereo system(additional 500lbs) in this new I4 Camaro will have a lovely time.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

We are not just talking about placing a I4 in the new 5th gen...we are talking about placing a turbo I4 in the new 5th gen. Easy to mod and it will have enough grunt to get up an incline.

W
Old 04-08-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 73brewstersd
An I4 would not have sufficient power to get that HUGE HEAVY Camaro up the most mild incline. I would be funny to see all the kill stories from the Ford Focus dominating the Camaro (Similar motors, 1/4 of the weight). Most cars that weight 3,7-3,800lbs with an 4-banger......
Ok, so a 200hp 240lbs/tq V6 Mustang that weighs 3600lbs+ still goes 0-60 in under 7 seconds. Not too shabby for an entry level car. IF a 260/260 Turbo 4 goes under the hood of said Mustang, would it not be an improvement? Now translate that to the Camaro. A T-4 would be a nice motor, and just as easy to produce as a V6. And I bet you'll be able to pull 25+ mpg. The Sky Redline is good for 28mpg when mated with a 5-speed.

--And as for the Focus dominating the Camaro?? I dont think that there has been a factory Focus with more than 170hp... 1/4 of the weight?? Even if the Camaro weighed 4000lbs, you really think the Focus only weighs 1000lbs?? Lets talk out of our mouths, not any other orifice.

Most cars that weigh 37-3800lbs with a four banger... are Camrys and Accords. Camry/Accord = FWD, NA. Not RWD, Turbo. With a 5-speed to boot if they take the drivetrain from Solstice/Sky Turbo (which is likely, because they cant take the combo from the Cobalt SS Turbo, which is FWD).

I think its a good idea to take a step back from time to time and see where the industry is going. I learned that sometimes tradition is a good way to keep you stuck in the past. Change keeps GM competitive. A T-4 would be GOOD for SALES. And for Smacking little Focues and Civic Si's around.

Quick Reply: GMI Exclusive: Camaro Monza Caught!