Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

GMI Exclusive: Camaro Monza Caught!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hpjunky98

your cool

If you eally need to resort to calling me a ********, your obviously not mature enough to be posting here. Im not going to post in this thread anymore because i can see its going to get locked if i do. You got alot of growing up to do buddy, and your hearing this from a 20 year old.

/my contribution to this thread.
I'm sorry about the ******** comment, I let my temper get the best of me... but you honestly need to open your eyes and ears before you speak. I'm the same age as you pal, which would shock some of the folks on here the way I talk about things.

I don't think you realize what this conversation is even about if you spout off things like, "If you don't like a V8 RWD Camaro, don't buy one" when we aren't even talking about the V8 model in this thread. The V8 is a certainty. We are not talking about replacing the eight with a turbo four(which would indeed be folly if it were the case...), rather, we are talking about the possibility of the base V6 taking a hike in favor of the Ecotec Turbo.

Your comments are by and large on a another planet from the conversation, therefore, I had to wake you up a bit. I do in fact enjoy a RWD V8 vehicle, as do the great majority of people on this site. The V8 is never the only model, and the other options are the focus of this thread. Got it, chief?

Once again, it's normally not like me to turn into a screamy internet guy, but when I hit my limit, that is it! There is only so much ignorance and closed-mindedness I will put up with...

Also as far as your "contributing" to the thread...you contributed nothing to the debate but off-topic arguments. Sorry to have to tell that to you. If you want to actually discuss alternative base model powerplants and the like, I wholeheartedly wish you would come on back into the thread...
Old 04-08-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Why are we talking about mating a Turbo I4 to an M5? Mate it to an M6 and get 30 MPG out of it.

W
Old 04-08-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WECIV
Why are we talking about mating a Turbo I4 to an M5? Mate it to an M6 and get 30 MPG out of it.

W
^^^ Not disagreeing with you on that point. I was just saying that with the base model Camaro/Mustang, etc, the manual is usually a 5-speed. If you look at what's out there, I can see a base Camaro getting the A5 and the M5 from the Kappa's, since both are currently available on the Turbo models. Thats' why I mentioned it.

The Solstice/Sky's already have the proven T-4 + M5/A5 combo, so GM would not need to re-engineer anything for a new car, which keeps the cost down to them and for us. Always good to keep Marginal Costs down.

Now if they went to an M6 in the Solstice/Sky for the next Model Year, and that translates into an M6 for the base Camaro, I wouldnt complain either. It just seems easier from an economical from a manufacturers position to go with a combo already available.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry if I came off rude...I was just saying with the new MPG requirements GM is going to have to go after the six gear setups and probably some damn low gear ratios.

W
Old 04-08-2008, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Nothing wrong with a turbo 4. It would be a performance relevant motor. Might not sound like a V8, but it will make power. Now that 4bangers make good power and can be performance oriented(with a turbo), what's wrong with the Camaro taking advantage of it? A little variety never hurt anyone. I mean come on, how boring would it be if every other Camaro owner had the same motor, and the only differences were colors and mods. Boring.

Dan
Old 04-08-2008, 05:57 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by WECIV

W
Because on a base model you don't want an expensive transmission. The M5 is a lot cheaper and makes more sense in a base model car

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 04-08-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All I can say is don't be surprised to see small displacement turbo I4's or V6's in base model Camaros/Mustangs in years to come. I have little doubt it will happen at some point (if not sooner). Besides, such high MPG models do alot towards helping us keep the V8 models in production. Hell, we might even see big power turbo V6's offered alongside the V8's as alternative performance models. Being on a forum like this, we all know the V8 is where its at. But imagine how cool a 350+hp turbo V6 Camaro model would be for the "off the beaten path" enthusiasts. LOTS of easy and cheap modibility in a car like that.....and all for the price of a stout V8. And of course, the LSx powered models would still be there for the real muscleheads who can't do without their torque fix.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:28 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I like the idea of anything turbo, even a 4 or 6. Factory turbo setups just make it that much easier to make some major HP with simple mods

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 04-08-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

"Because on a base model you don't want an expensive transmission. The M5 is a lot cheaper and makes more sense in a base model car"

I know it is a little bit cheaper...but if all of the GM cars moved to them...economies of scale would kick in...and it would save a MPG or two a car...thus moving towards that 35 MPG.

W
Old 04-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 73brewstersd
An I4 would not have sufficient power to get that HUGE HEAVY Camaro up the most mild incline. I would be funny to see all the kill stories from the Ford Focus dominating the Camaro (Similar motors, 1/4 of the weight). Most cars that weight 3,7-3,800lbs with an 4-banger...... Well, I guess I don't need to explain this anymore. I guess after some of you put an intake, big muffler, and huge stereo system(additional 500lbs) in this new I4 Camaro will have a lovely time.
heres some curb weights of 4 cylinder cars and tell me if u think these can make it up a mild incline with the driver, so probably add 150-200lbs. plus all the other miscellaneous stuff. iunno these cars better avoid mild-steep inclines according to you.

07 pontiac solstice - 3031lbs
07 subaru impreza wrx sti - 3395lbs
05 mitsubishi lancer evo viii - 3338lbs
04 dodge neon dumdumdumdumdum - 2900lbs
Old 04-21-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Drop an LS7 in there.

Quick Reply: GMI Exclusive: Camaro Monza Caught!