Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

CNBC Camaro Documentary!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CNBC Camaro Documentary!!

Did any of you get to see the Documentary on GM and it's plans for the future!! Looks like GM is going to be alright after all!! After seeing their headway in China now hopefully there is a light at the end of of the tunnel.

They are really placing a lot of Stock in the new Camaro!!
I hope they sell 100,000 units the first year!! ()

I also am thinking of buying some GM stock right now while it's low!! $10 a share is a great starting point to help a company that's been around now for a 100 years!!

Just some thoughts....... Chime in please!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

very good show but im wondering how GM is going to convince buyers to pay 45k for a volt.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It was a good show, wondering the same about the volt, there are yahoos however that do pay 35k for a prius rather than $500 for a 10 year old geo metro that gets better gas mileage. The automotive news had an article that said people are paying $254 dollars less for a used 07 prius when compared to a new 2008, who can possibly be the stupid. Why the hell would anybody not spend an extra 254 bucks and get a NEW 08 rather than a used 07?
Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Launching!

I hope GM proves me wrong and sells 100k camaros. I want one without the dealer mark-up BS.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HPT BANDIT
I hope GM proves me wrong and sells 100k camaros. I want one without the dealer mark-up BS.
This is lucky day. I'll sell you a Camaro, no dealer mark-up BS. provided the bank says you can buy one. I'll be looking for your PM and that's no BS!

Yes, I saw the show also taped it. Plan on showing in in the next three or four sales meetings.

It's nice to see there are still some car guy in the business.

If GM hits the market first with the Volt people will buy them.

Jakes Dad
Old 08-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Launching!

I saw it.

I also don't think the Volt is going to sell well at $45K either.
Also, what is going to happen to these cars when they hit 100k miles and need expensive battery pack replacements . . . warranty?

I thought it was interesting that Jr. said the Camaro had too much body roll on his test drive.

There was also a neat Camaro that was silver with black hood stripes and a subtle chin spoiler. It looked nice. Was it the cancelled Z28?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal opinion is that GM needs to go bankrupt before it can really come back because of all its pension liabilities. The people who work there who can are retiring and taking cash instead of payments so that when the bankruptcy happens, they are unaffected. I think it's very risky to buy their stock until this happens.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by enginjoe
My personal opinion is that GM needs to go bankrupt before it can really come back because of all its pension liabilities. The people who work there who can are retiring and taking cash instead of payments so that when the bankruptcy happens, they are unaffected. I think it's very risky to buy their stock until this happens.

I thought the documentary said that in like 2 or 3 years, GM will have funded a pension trust fund that will deal with pension payouts, and not GM anymore?

I also thought it was enlightening that up until 2 years ago, starting pay at the factory was $28/hr . . . assuming that was reported correctly . . .
Old 08-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Teching In

GM has had many meetings with the government about the volt and have come up with tax breaks for volt buyers, so when you buy one you maybe paying sticker without the TTT along with some other tax rebates. Heard this from Autoblog.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by triggerjerk
I thought the documentary said that in like 2 or 3 years, GM will have funded a pension trust fund that will deal with pension payouts, and not GM anymore?

I also thought it was enlightening that up until 2 years ago, starting pay at the factory was $28/hr . . . assuming that was reported correctly . . .
GMs pension is overfunded right now. at least according to reports when they announced cutting benefits for white collar retirees.

my understanding is top pay is $28 an hr. i doubt its starting pay.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
GMs pension is overfunded right now. at least according to reports when they announced cutting benefits for white collar retirees.

GM is lying. Top pay is higher than that for the older guys, that's why they are trying to get them all to quit.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

It was a big bullshit GM infomercial, not an actual show.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Can someone post it up please? Thanks.

W
Old 08-07-2008, 06:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS

GM is lying. Top pay is higher than that for the older guys, that's why they are trying to get them all to quit.
I love how you get 'GM is lying' out of someone that isn't even sure of his info

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5058950

factory guys make a ton of money thanks to the unions. average in 08 is $31.50/hr. that is a freaking rediculous wage imo. wonder why GM is broke
Old 08-07-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Good to hear Ernhart's comments on the new camaro...

"It has a lot of body roll." Great. Damned 3900 lbs

W
Old 08-07-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

i guess wagoner is lying. here he claims the pension fund is overfunded annd is being useed to offset the elimination of white collar retiree benefits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY3Ub...eature=related
Old 08-07-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 383ss
I love how you get 'GM is lying' out of someone that isn't even sure of his info

factory guys make a ton of money thanks to the unions. average in 08 is $31.50/hr. that is a freaking rediculous wage imo. wonder why GM is broke
toyota pays similar wages. why arent they broke?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 383ss

I guess it wasn't too clear from my response, but what I meant is that GM is lying about their pensions being totally funded. They have one foot in the door to bankruptcy. It will happen, they will break the unions down, lower benefits to everybody across the board and come back to rule the automotive world.

I have relatives working the factories for GM and they make bank. Sometimes I wonder why I went to college and wasted 10 years of my life when I could have made more money working with them...
Old 08-07-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

since this has turned into badmouth unions and spread misinformation about them this should clear everything up regarding benefits , pay ,pensions. labor cost, heathcare ect.

http://www.uaw.com/barg/07fact/fact02.php
Old 08-08-2008, 12:29 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Crowe 02'Z28
Did any of you get to see the Documentary on GM and it's plans for the future!! Looks like GM is going to be alright after all!! After seeing their headway in China now hopefully there is a light at the end of of the tunnel.

They are really placing a lot of Stock in the new Camaro!!
I hope they sell 100,000 units the first year!! ()

I also am thinking of buying some GM stock right now while it's low!! $10 a share is a great starting point to help a company that's been around now for a 100 years!!

Just some thoughts....... Chime in please!
I agree 100% on all points.
GM shares at the current high $9.00/low $10.00 range are a solid long term buy IMO and that Camaro looks to be a real winner.