Gen 6 Camaro 2016+ Forum The forum for discussion of the 6th Gen 2016+ Camaro

Took the plunge... Ordering a 17ss

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Took the plunge... Ordering a 17ss

Went into the dealer today. He couldn't place the order yet but ran all the numbers etc.

Getting a good price on trade from them which is what has been holding me back.

Anyway got supplier pricing and I'll have 7k down after my trade.

White 1ss a8. Black wheels and bow ties. Came in just under 38k before tax title.

Hope to have the car by late July early August. Pretty excited !
Old 05-14-2016, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

thats great man! as much as i like my car i like 6th gens just as much. i got an email from GM couple weeks ago saying i qualified for emp. disc. and i admit i was tempted but im good for now lol.

how come they cant place your order right away?
Old 05-14-2016, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Building doesn't start till June 6. From what I've gathered on camaro6 most dealers don't have the order guide for the 17 yet. A couple people have placed them at larger volume dealers who are in the know and sell a lot of them. He said it shouldn't be long. If it's too much longer I'll have to get on them cuz I want the car before summer is over.
Nothing much changed other than a 600 dollar price bump and hyper blue is now an extra cost color. Other than that options and option pricing is the same.

I didn't mention the price increase... Hoping I can hold them to the current quote but if not it's not a big deal/ deal breaker.

Really hoping I don't regret the auto I've always had manuals. I just can't ignore how fast the new a8 is running. I also want to frequent the track more with this car and the auto is a lot easier for that. Other than running faster and more consistent times they are less prone to breaking parts on launch. My 2010 and my 98 had stock rear and that always held me back.
Figure it should be safe on the stock axles with an auto up to around 600hp. At least they were with the 5gen. Some guys broke axles with stock power and dr with the manuals...

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 05-14-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

did you get everything in writing? tell them you wont pay it and see what happens.

i must say buying a new car is stressful as **** lol.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah he gave me paperwork on the build under 2016 format. It almost seemed too easy. I got the supplier pricing and 31k trade (which is at the high end for my truck) first try with no negotiating lol. I asked him 3 times if he was sure he could do 31 for the trade. But I did not get that in writing. When I place the order i sure will. I could only muster 29 at the other places I checked. But I bought the truck at this place initially so maybe that helps idk.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

if he goes back on his word or pulls any tactics tell him to shove it.

you gotta play hardball with dealers and dont let your emotions make your decisions.

i admit when i arrived at that dealer i got a little too excited but overall i did ok.

i just got done fighting with that same dealer trying to get my money back over an add on i purchased.

they finally gave in after 6 weeks of dicking me around.

is your truck at least paid off?
Old 05-14-2016, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I owe 25 on the truck. Loaded 2014 LTZ z71 double cab with 22inch rim option.

I pay 515 a month so I'll only owe 23.5-24 depending on when the order comes in. So I'll have ~7k after trade and my payment will be around 500 depending on interest rate. 72 months at 3 percent financing ~33k. Payment should be slightly less than now. I'll probably throw another 2-3 k at the down payment as well which should put me at around 480 month. Debating on that or keeping the money for a drag pack.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

have you driven a 6th gen? ive only sat in one and that was enough.

much nicer interior than mine and lighter with more power i hope to have one in a few years.

man,they are expensive though.

have you locked in a finance rate?
Old 05-14-2016, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah they are. I'd like a 2ss but the extra 4-5 k puts it just out of my comfort zone currently.

I drove one last weekend. Drove like one would expect. Felt a little smaller and more nimble than my 2010 but I never got into any corners hard. Power was comparable to my 10 when it was full bolt on. With the heads and cam no way I'd leave it.
Really pushed you in the seat good the first couple gears for being stock. It really makes a bunch of torque really quickly. They say it's torque curve mirrors the ls7 up to 4 grand and I'd believe it.

He said for sure he could get me 3% but maybe better. Thought he could maybe get 2.49 but needed to run my credit. Which I wasn't going to do without having the order placed. I'll get the lowest rate with a decent down payment and credit score 780 last I checked. Hopefully it won't change much by August
Old 05-14-2016, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

whats really cool is GM warrantying track usage as long as you remain stock.

not easy i know but at least you can get an idea of what abuse it can take before upgrading stock power levels.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll wait until next summer before tuning most likely.

This dealer put a brand new motor in my truck two months ago when the motor spun a rod bearing at 28k. Has headers, ory, CAI and tune. Brand new motor installed no questions asked. And free towing lol

Not sure if I want to push my luck twice if something happens to the SS.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

the dealer ill be using for maintenance and warranty if needed is supposed to be cool about mods. my purchasing dealer sucks *** lol. my tuners best friend is the sales manager and sends tons of money his way so...

but i really like my 5th gen and have no problem waiting to get a 6th gen. im really not anxious to pay 50k plus for a car right now.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

truck for an SS. You are the real MVP.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
truck for an SS. You are the real MVP.
Sarcasm or serious ?

I am apprehensive being I still need to secure a winter ride. I really love the truck as well. I'll be buying a 5k or less winter car front wheel drive 4 cylinder of some sort. I know I might regret it this winter.

I'm not married and make about 55k. I can't afford two new car payments and a house and toys. Not without being broke as F.

I'm just impatient and after losing my dad this year he was only 52 I'm saying **** it life is short I'm gonna get what I want when I want... Within reason.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

these cars do suck in snow despite what some claim of putting winter tires on them.

fortunately winters normally ARENT HARSH HERE and im not far from work and i take vacation weeks in jan. and feb. lol.

sorry about your dad. i agree life can be short but dont make severe decisions based on that. i was told hundreds of times to buy a 5th gen without any serious discounts and im glad i waited.

ive worked hard for years and am finally getting where i want to be financially and can afford some nice things but im still planning ahead so i can retire some day at a young age.

but if some fucked up **** happens and im out of work ill be fine for quite some time. just dont spend too much like most americans. you never know whatll happen.

yup,enjoy life just not too much lol.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. Damn lung cancer. He was a smoker but just too soon. Really sucks. Was healthy as a horse and could keep right up with me in softball until just a few years ago. Before he got diagnosed I always thought he would be the type to be fine smoking as he was always in pretty good shape. Didn't seem to effect him but obviously I was wrong.

I currently have about 7-800 a month leftover after paying bills and that's not going to change with the current swap being payments will be about the same. If I keep the truck I just can't afford another 500 payment and insurance. Not comfortably.

Got a decent retirement going at the hospital where I work. Pretty much where I need to be at 31 I think.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

are you near where they build 6th gens? id love to go see it being built if thats allowed.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NOoooo I would much rather have a new SS instead of a new truck. Being of course that I did not need the truck to make money
Old 05-15-2016, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lansing is about an hour drive from me.

don't think they allow/offer that for the Camaro but not positive.

I know for the corvette they offer some type if thing where you tour the plant etc.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

i just got something from a local dealer in the mail saying i can get over 20% MV for my vehicle plus supplier discount. it might be more than what i paid for my car.

i assume this is what you got? whats with these offers lately? LOL.

Quick Reply: Took the plunge... Ordering a 17ss