Gen 6 Camaro 2016+ Forum The forum for discussion of the 6th Gen 2016+ Camaro

Thinkin of getting a new Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well gentlemen this is my first visit to the 6th gen forum. I'm thinking about selling my 4th gen built SS for a 6gen SS, any one made this switch? If so, any regrets about getting rid of their 4th gen?

I've driven 4th gens since 2007 and had my SS since 2012, I'm slightly hesitant about selling it but I've had my eye on a 2016 to 2018 Camaro or a new corvette for the last year. Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looking of selling my cammed ws6 6 speed for a 19 camaro 2ss 1le or a 2017 camaro zl1 6 speed. If i decided to get the 2019 camaro 1le, first mod im doing is the hellion twin turbo kit with lt4 injectors and flex fuel. If i get the zl1, most likely i'll leave it stock except cold air intake and flex fuel and possibly smaller pulley. decisions
Old 08-30-2019, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
Well gentlemen this is my first visit to the 6th gen forum. I'm thinking about selling my 4th gen built SS for a 6gen SS, any one made this switch? If so, any regrets about getting rid of their 4th gen?

I've driven 4th gens since 2007 and had my SS since 2012, I'm slightly hesitant about selling it but I've had my eye on a 2016 to 2018 Camaro or a new corvette for the last year. Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated.
Just keep the 4th gen until you have had some seat time in the 6th. That is what I did. I honestly wasn't going to sell my 4th but was approached by a friend with cash in hand. Don't really regret it, but I still like 4th's.
The following users liked this post:
fucter (01-07-2021)
Old 05-02-2020, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I Just drove a 2017 Camaro, it came into the shop for a transmission service. even tho it was a V6 it was a nice car. I've been thinking of something new for a while. Its either going to be a Camaro V8 of a Silverado V8. I still have to do some more research. I have a 98 S-10 and my 4th gen so......
Old 12-10-2020, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

If your looking for Strip stuff its hard to beat the Chevy/Ford 10 speed auto.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 424 Likes on 308 Posts

If anyone cares I Drove a 2018 SS and hated it. Feels heavy, slow and you cant see out of it and it's very uncomfortable for a stock car. For 40k I'd go to barrett's jackson, buy a 72 for 15k near mint body condition, sell the guts and build it up all new. Might just be me. I do not recommend the new Camaros in other words.
fucter (01-07-2021)
Old 12-25-2020, 01:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
If anyone cares I Drove a 2018 SS and hated it. Feels heavy, slow and you cant see out of it and it's very uncomfortable for a stock car. For 40k I'd go to barrett's jackson, buy a 72 for 15k near mint body condition, sell the guts and build it up all new. Might just be me. I do not recommend the new Camaros in other words.
I love mine, sold my 4th Gen for it and it is 10x the car my 4th Gen was, maybe 100x actually. It definitely didn't feel heavy or slow to me.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
If I was going to drop coin it would have to be a C6 Z06 or GS manual car. Get behind the wheel of one and then go drive the 4th Gen Fbody and you'll see but to give up my 4th Gen for any of them. No!
I've had about 5 or 6 4th gens since new and a c4,c5, and a c6z06. Sold the corvettes and still have the fbody. The zo6 is no comparison to an fbody it's just not close. But those cars are now 12 years old and still fetching high 30s low 40s, which is just ridiculous in my mind. I would say a C5 is better hands down to the 4th gen too and for 15-20k you can find a nice car. The fbody I take over a c4. That said, in 2021, there is a LT1 version that you can buy that is 50-100lbs ligther than a SS and that could be the new drag strip bang for the buck for about 33/34k right now new.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had a 2017 A8 since 2016. They definitely don't feel slow. A 6 speed is still more fun but not as good at the track. Way more low end torque than an LS so the upper rpm seems a little slower. These are 12.3 at 113-115 cars from the show room in decent air.

They are larger, heavier and the visibility isn't that great but it's not that uncommon in a sportier car and for the most part you get used of it. Handling and braking is awesome. I like the interior.

Bolt ons get you in the 470-490 rwhp range and heads/cam can get around 600 rwhp.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by merim123
I've had about 5 or 6 4th gens since new and a c4,c5, and a c6z06. Sold the corvettes and still have the fbody. The zo6 is no comparison to an fbody it's just not close. But those cars are now 12 years old and still fetching high 30s low 40s, which is just ridiculous in my mind. I would say a C5 is better hands down to the 4th gen too and for 15-20k you can find a nice car. The fbody I take over a c4. That said, in 2021, there is a LT1 version that you can buy that is 50-100lbs ligther than a SS and that could be the new drag strip bang for the buck for about 33/34k right now new.
I agree about the LT1 Camaro being interesting, I've been considering one lately myself but certainly not to replace my 4th gen, just an additional car to use as a 3-seaon daily driver. I'm not a gadget person so the LT1 base model is more my style. I haven't yet driven a base LT1 Camaro but I did drive an earlier SS with the A8 and I definitely didn't prefer it over my 4th gen unlike some folks, other than stock for stock power of course. My understanding is that the A10 is much better but I haven't driven one yet. It would be nice to have the warranty and freshness of a new/almost new Camaro, but you're right about some of the great deals on low mile C5s in recent years - I'd feel more at home in one of those.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are not getting 600 wheel NA unless it's a very radical setup. Unless you use a dyno that lies to you.
fucter (01-07-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
I love mine, sold my 4th Gen for it and it is 10x the car my 4th Gen was, maybe 100x actually. It definitely didn't feel heavy or slow to me.
Agreed.

My 19 1SS 1LE would slap 7 shades of **** out of my suspensioned up 02. (Koni SA's, BMR springs, MWC SFC's, founders LCA's/PHB, Hellwigs anti-swaybars f/r, GEN5 SS Brembos, among a few other things) The GEN6 is a very nimble and playful car in a turn. If you're pushing a GEN6 at 8/10ths (4/5ths but whatever) it's limit, you're wrecking a GEN4 trying to match that same pace.

600 WHP N/A on a stock bottomend is no issue for a "knowledgeable" GEN5 SBC builder. (Pray Performance, GPI, and maybe a few others) H/C/I/boltons/E85 tune can get you there if you desire. It gets discussed quite often on the GEN5 SBC related forums. The 376 ci GEN5 engines are very good, and very underrated/underappreciated engines. Stock they have a power curve that's similar to a stock pulleyed Terminators. They make very strong power from right off idle, to redline. I'm not going to claim everyone's making 600+ WHP, but it's not uncommon for a well modified GEN6 to surpass 600 WHP (some claim 615-620 WHP) on a factory bottomend, N/A setup. Many GEN6 cars are out there running crappy tunes though.

Did a quick search for H/C/I GEN6 and this is one of the first videos to come up. 588 WHP with ported OEM heads, running stock compression thru an A8. Who knows what TB this cars running? (Ported 87mm/ported 95mm/NW 103mm?) Some ported Victor Jr. heads, ported Holley High Ram, thru a M6 car should easily break 600 WHP. (Hell a M6 car is likely all thats required for this setup to break 600 WHP)
Old 01-11-2021, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can believe whatever fairy tale numbers the shop puts out to sell you tunes and builds.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
You can believe whatever fairy tale numbers the shop puts out to sell you tunes and builds.

Disprove them. You're the one making claims against the common narrative that is pushed as the GEN5's LT1's potential. It sounds to me like you're just hating on a car that you personally have a prejudice against.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

I wouldn't see why it can't make 600 at the tires my thoughts would be around how high strung it would be. 85 would help but with only 376 cubes one would think it would need some serious cam numbers and rpm's to do it.

I make no claims of that being factual or not just what makes sense to me. Maybe I'm way off base.

The Gen 6 is a great car. If I had it have one car only it would be a ZL1. About the handling though my 99 SS is full suspension and it handles well. The problem isn't it's abilities but more so how it communicates back at me. I am not sure if your 4th was modified power wise (most likely is) but in cases like mine, and perhaps yours, trying to handle 600+ rwhp makes handling seem worse because it would be easier to control with say 400 rwhp in the same car. Your 8/10ths comment seems a bit off but maybe it's for emphasis? Not saying you're wrong. I'm unsure what tires you ran but that could contribute to your 4th gen comparison because I run NT-01's and they help a tremendous amount. I have another car that handles much better than my Camaro on every level and does so with a much better ride. For that I can 100% appreciate the Camaro SS 1LE. It's a great handling car you can live with on about any type of driving.

Stay safe out there.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 141 Posts

Several well known companies are pushing LT1's north of 600whp NA. Pray, GPI, RPM have all made 600+ on SBE LT1 stuff.

Here is one example of a mild combo on pump gas that made 591. Another made similar on pump and 607whp on E53.

Pray Performance has been doing it repeatedly and backing it up at the track. Search him on Facebook or Instagram. You might have to dig through some posts to find some examples.

Last edited by kinglt-1; 01-15-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Makes good peak numbers and I never doubted they could make 600 rwhp. My question would be how is the power under the curve.

Right now the best deal on a lease is an LT1 Camaro for $287/mo.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 440_Stroker
Makes good peak numbers and I never doubted they could make 600 rwhp. My question would be how is the power under the curve.

Right now the best deal on a lease is an LT1 Camaro for $287/mo.
The GEN5 LT1 doesn't have a weak spot in it's RPM range. It's curve feels very similar to a stock Terminators. Maybe just a little less power right off idle, and a little more power up top. People claim it's power is similar to a LS7's until you start to get into the topend where a stock LT1 doesn't quite keep up. My best advice is to just go test drive one and see if you like it. The GEN5 engines are very broad. Stock 6.2L heads flow nearly 330 CFM.

Here are some #'s from Pray Performance:

Here is Pray Performances YT page. If you watch some of these videos you will start to understand why he's such a respected source for the GEN5 engines. Pretty impressive for a guy working out his garage:
https://youtube.com/channel/UCCCFXBjr0myeH-1Tuz_gHcg

As far as handling they're just on different levels. I don't want to be an *** as LS1TECH is largely geared toward the GEN4 crowd, but even a stock base SS is a 1G or better machine and the 1LE just adds noticeably to its capabilities. Saying a GEN4 LS1 car that's anywhere nearly as streetable as a GEN6 SLE will manage 8/10ths of what a new SLE will manage in the curves is being very generous to the GEN4 car. C&D was 6 seconds faster than a Hellcat widebody (not a Redeye) at VIR which is not some short/slow track that caters to Miatas. Even the V6 1LE was only .5 seconds slower than what they managed in a Charger Hellcat. The 16 Camaro won M/T car of the year largely based on the fact that a regular Camaro SS matches a M4 on a road course for less than $38K.

Think of a SS 1LE as kind of a ZL1 with a SS engine/trans. The SLE and ZL1 use the same tires, 9.9" rearend with an eLSD, same in tank fuel pump, etc. The spring rates are a little different to offset their different weights, and the ZL1 uses 15.1" 2-piece front rotors, while the SLE uses 14.7" 2-piece rotors up front, but much of the hardware is shared between the two. Many of the SLE owners are your traditional BMW RRers who usually look down on American cars, but who realize how good the Alpha platform is. In fact it's design is based largely off the old BMW E46 platform. SLE guys don't feel that they drive a less capable car than a GT350R on a slower, more technical track even with factory tires. On a faster track the GT350R with it's lighter weight, extra 71 HP, and 315/305 F/R Michelin Sport Cup 2 (SC2) setup is at an advantage compared to a stock SLE, but Randy Pobst matched both cars laptimes around Willow Springs down to the tenth. BTW SC2's definitely help lower the lap times for a SLE which comes factory with GY Supercar 3 tires (SC3) in a 305/285 F/R setup. A SLE isn't all that far behind a C7 GS which also uses SC2's.

Look I have a lot of love for GEN4 cars, and appreciate them for what they are. They have a lot going for them to be built for RR/autocross duty. They're fairly lightweight by modern standards, GM gave them a very well designed suspension setup on both ends, their chassis feels modern if you're only used to Foxbody/SN95 cars, they can house a lot of tire up front, their F/R weight distribution is about the same as the modern cars, etc. Still this reminds me of a thread that was posted in the RR section of The Corral many years ago. Basically someone asked, "how do I make my Foxbody handle better than a C6 Z06?" The answer that all the guys gave him was, "you don't." They told him that you can give a Foxbody enough chassis stiffening, suspension mods, power, weight reduction, and tire to out power and out grip a stock C6Z, but a C6Z is built on a far better platform, with a way superior suspension setup, 50/50 weight distribution, etc and to match it with a Foxbody you're basically building a widebody racecar, and once the Z starts getting modded you're always going to be less than. It's kind of like that with a GEN4 vs GEN6 car. A GEN6 SLE is a quicker lapping track car than a stock C6 Z06 other than maybe one with a Z07 package. Even with a good tire IDK if a stock C6 Z06 could match a match SLE on a track that wasn't one that caters to fast/powerful cars, and a C6Z is pretty much my favorite car ever, and obviously it's mod potential is huge. But a new SLE is just that good, and a performance value that's hard to beat. If you can build a more capable handling GEN4, and keep it very streetable then you deserve a pat on the back.

Here is a good thing to judge a cars handling ability. SLE is currently #25 on it. Look at the list of car both in front of and behind it.
https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/motortrend-figure-8

Here's where I'd pick a GEN4 over a GEN6 when talking performance and they both require built or at least better than LS1 engines:

-If I'm looking to build a really fast drag car, and I'm going to build something like a badass boosted or large displacement N/A GEN4 LS engine to go in it. GEN4 cars are lighter, simpler from an electrical standpoint, use a SRA setup, are more aerodynamic, and have a huge aftermarket.

-If I'm looking to build a very fast car to street race boosted Coyotes and single turbo MKIV's, etc with. Again I would be using a built GEN4 LS, a good suspension/rearend setup, etc. GEN4 give you less weight, slicker aerodynamics, and a very big aftermarket. They're cheaper to mod as well.

Last edited by JROC; 01-15-2021 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

No need to try and sell me on them. I've driven plenty of 6th gens. They are great cars.

As far as the C6Z goes I agree it's an awesome car. One of my accountants just picked up a 2008 with 28k miles from the original owner. It's a great car. 80% just seems extreme, to me, though it could be correct. The problem with the 4th gen is that to make it handle you sacrifice ride comfort and even noise where as the 5th and 6th gens do handle better and do it in comfort. Are LS engine really that much cheaper? My LS heads were over $5k.

If I was to have just one fun car I would probably buy a ZL1.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I agree about the LT1 Camaro being interesting, I've been considering one lately myself but certainly not to replace my 4th gen, just an additional car to use as a 3-seaon daily driver. I'm not a gadget person so the LT1 base model is more my style. I haven't yet driven a base LT1 Camaro but I did drive an earlier SS with the A8 and I definitely didn't prefer it over my 4th gen unlike some folks, other than stock for stock power of course. My understanding is that the A10 is much better but I haven't driven one yet. It would be nice to have the warranty and freshness of a new/almost new Camaro, but you're right about some of the great deals on low mile C5s in recent years - I'd feel more at home in one of those.
I did go sit in a LT1, no sunroof, manual. It's ok, it fits. If I was to order one, I'd get it with Recaro's. I don't know what I would miss not getting the mag shock upgrade. Our family hauler escalade has a a10 and it is a great trans. That car also is our first car with Mag shocks, and I don't know if I'd ever drive something again without them. They make a huge difference IMO.

Last edited by merim123; 01-19-2021 at 08:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinkin of getting a new Camaro