Gen 6 Camaro 2016+ Forum The forum for discussion of the 6th Gen 2016+ Camaro

Garageaholic's 6th Gen Camaro W/ TR6060 Swap Project!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garageaholic's 6th Gen Camaro W/ TR6060 Swap Project!

Hey guys, if you are interested, I plan to break down a 2016 Camaro SS LT1 with 6spd TR6060 and swap into a BMW. I've never done an LT1 swap before so I would LOVE your advice and help if you have any!

So I bought this sight unseen at auction in Ventura, CA. Obvious front end damage precludes the engine from starting, but how bad was it? I started ripping it apart and took the gamble. Definitely found a few issues, but thank my lucky stars it wasn't as bad as it seemed and Guess what.......

Plan to break her down over the weekend, so here are some pics and a the first youtube video in my series. Hope you enjoy!

Vacuum Leak!?

That's right, E24 635csi!
Old 10-01-2020, 09:19 PM

You can call me Frank. Here's a little bit of info about the BMW Swap car it's going into!

I have another video coming out over the weekend where I go into the condition of the 1985 635CSi in detail. You will see that it needs a lot of work. While the rust factor on this particular chassis is minimized, it's unfortunately not non-existent. It does have dents and dings, most of all the rubber grommets and moldings are dried and cracked. Sunroof doesn't operate, headliner is ripped to shreds. Dash is cracked, cluster has mold spots in it. While the front seats are in OK condition by 35 year car standards, the rear seats are beyond repair. The car has 95k miles, which isn't bad honestly, but the car needs a lot of work. A LOT. Every bushing needs replacement. Steering box is sloppy and leaks. There is a film on the windows, which is obviously tint, but appears to have originally been a really light tint, so light that its imperceptible, but is peeling, so looks terrible. The 3.46 LSD module is valuable, and will be used here.

But no this is not worth $4-5000 I'm thinking (even with the M30). Good bones for the most part, but needs aesthetic work in most all aspects.

Yes, the customer is a BMW enthusiast. He owns one of the most well cared for E30 M3's I've ever laid eyes on. And I have typically not been privy to non-bmw engines into BMW's. It's not purist. But I have a real great easygoing customer who wants a real unique car when completed and will challenge and expand my knowledge base.

As a business, I want to close those knowledge gaps and meet new people in non-BMW communities. So far I like it.
As an individual - an enthusiast, I love what I do. I very rarely discriminate people's swap choices, so long as they are truly an avid car enthusiast. Because at the end of the day we all have that in common. Heck, check out @engine_swaps on IG. They showcase all shapes and sizes of VERY well executed engine swaps of all shapes and sizes.

If executed properly - and I have that experience already - this can be one well sought after car. A car that my customer will be proud to call his own. And I will be proud to have worked on.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:53 PM

Does anybody have any questions or comments? More pictures to come!
Old 10-04-2020, 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

Looks like a fun project and someone will have a very cool retro-ish car with modern power.

I look forward to the process updates!
Old 10-04-2020, 09:16 PM

Great good to hear! I'd love to get in touch with him!

So This will be more BMW and a bit less LT1

Check out my latest video here!

But still I will have a lot of LT1 questions. Especially about fitment and aftermarket parts. If you all are not sure you want to see more of this swap since it's more BMW and less LT1, let me know. I'll understand. But I will tell you this - and it's MORE LT1 related than anything!
  1. I see many issues of fitment, but none more prevalent than the TR6060 fitment into the transmission tunnel. It's quite narrow and doesn't fully fit the transmission, so I'll need to make modifications there.
  2. The coolant outlet at the pump is hitting the frame rail.
  3. Brake solution is going to be a problem. I hit the brake master cylinder so the reservoir will not work in its current position

I'd like to know what the others do given these setbacks. I wonder if the T56 is better suited for this application?

There were some other things I noticed with regards to the transmission.
  1. First is the guibo on the output shaft. Slip joint is now in the "2 piece" driveshaft, which is what you'd expect to see out of just about any transmission. So I will need to adapt to that
  2. Second is the remote shifter linkage. I will need to shorten both the carrier and the selector rod for this application, which doesn't scare me in the least. Just another thing to modify!

Other than that, Some interferences to be expected. Seems to fit pretty well. I will need to redesign the entire front subframe, relocate the steering system to a rack-pinion to be in FRONT of the axle (as opposed to the originally rear mounted drag link box system). So new spindles will need to be fabricated, which will be wild!

Enjoy the pictures! Here's the E24 635csi - 1985

M30 has already been removed, so this makes things a bit easier.

Some issues on the E24 as you see below:

Now let's take out the LT1:

Got the LT1 out and ready to throw in!

Got it in, not from above actually - got from underneath, but next time I do this I'm using the lift. I got some interferences.

Overall, it has potential to fit quite nicely! It's currently being suspended by jack stands. A lot of fabrication work will need to happen to the front subframe and the steering rack.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:23 PM

Some more work done! So I moved the E24 to the lift and decided to retry test fitting the LT1 in there. So I removed the wiring harness, front accessories, and also removed items from the E24 including hydroboost, ABS, and power steering reservoir such that I can install the LT1 from underneath and observe what my serious interferences are. And in this case, it appears that I do have interferences, but primarily from the transmission (TR6060). it's a wide casing back there! A couple pictures of where I'm at and my latest video of progress.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very cool.
I am doing an LT4 out of a C7 into a scratch built frame/70 Camaro shell.
Have out started on the engine wiring yet? We may be able to share notes on the pinout map.
Do you still have the donor Camaro?

Quick Reply: Garageaholic's 6th Gen Camaro W/ TR6060 Swap Project!