General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 F body or a WRX Sti???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008 | 01:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

**** STI's the only reason i would own one is if it was my only car and i lived in a heavy snow area and my wife was driving it LOL
Old 10-14-2008 | 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i let a friend of mine drive my old 97 TA. after that he went shopping for a new car. bought a brand new 07 STi. hes paying at least twice as much as i am with a much longer term loan. then he dumps more money on downpipe, tune, blah blah.

the outcome: from the initial dig of course he has me then around 100 i pass him, but from a roll i still stomp him and im stock.

and im able to save for a mortgage while he cant even afford rent.
Old 10-14-2008 | 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

fbody is the way to go.... screw the 4 cylinder, v8 is the way to go
Old 10-14-2008 | 02:18 AM
On The Tree

F-body LS1 + TT setup = Less money than STI.

It also eqauls faster than anything in your area (most likely) and your car would be the ****.

Not to mention, if anything, the stock LS1 gets better gas mileage that dinky little boxer engine
Old 10-14-2008 | 02:19 AM
Staging Lane

STi's have glass transmissions. I recommend an LS1 car
Old 10-14-2008 | 03:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slayerized6
Definitly get the f-body. If you were up north Id say get the STI if you planned on driving it alot; AWD is rain and snow is a life saver. However, your looking for a weekend warrior

An F-body is the best route. You can find a decent-mint fbody anywhere from $8k-16k. Hell, if you have $20k to spend, you can also look at the c5 vettes. Check out the GTO if thats your style as well. Reliable engine, easy to mod, easy to fix, parts are cheap etc. LS1 powered anything...
I agree ^^^. if this is just a fun car I would get the ls1/lt1. I don't know how much you would be able to use AWD in AZ, but I do love that turbo sound...a good lt1 can be found for just 5k and that would give you even more money to play with...just my 2 cents.
Old 10-14-2008 | 04:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

go ahead and just get the LS1, I have raced so many STI's and even the claimed 400 hp STI guys could not hang with my bolt on LS1 M6 and they would not go from a dig because their tranny would break.... funny thing is there was always one "in the works" that was going to "rule the town" and it always blew up before it could get a race in. Stupid 4 bangers.......

One time I and a friend rolled up to the scooby meeting place with a 100 shot on my car and challenged their "top dog" and he wouldn't race. I was friends with a few of them, one works with me, and he told me that when I left he told them he knew he couldn't beat me. Man a 100 shot does not hurt these cars one bit and pretty much kills most competition unless its another V8 with spray =). Watch out for the "stock" fox bodies...lol
Old 10-14-2008 | 06:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

ls1 f-body is just too much fun in an sti unless you have 350-400awhp youd never know good it feels when your having fun and that *** end gets loose. id say awd if you were going built but if you dont plan on many mods than f-body is the way to go. sounds better, looks better, runs better, takes more abuse, there should be no question about it. i have friends that were pure awd dsm guys jump in my car and instantly fall in love lol you will too if you get into an f body.
Old 10-14-2008 | 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

See if you can find a local member with better cam installed. Take it for a drive. This is one of the cheapest way to increase a good amount of power on a LS1. This should make your mind up for you quick .

I destroy those WRX's pretty bad. Not sure about when I was stock but I don"t think could take a LS1 F-body.
Old 10-14-2008 | 06:37 AM
EW1
Launching!

Wonder if anyone has done an LS1 Swap into a Scooby.
Old 10-14-2008 | 07:08 AM
11 Second Club

I vote we ban bamxbam just for that GHEY sig pic
Old 10-14-2008 | 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slowformula
STi's have glass transmissions. I recommend an LS1 car
f-bods have a glass rear if you ask me your decision shouldnt be between a scooby and an f-bod. you should be asking yourself if you want to spend around the same on a nice c5 instead of an sti, or spend less on the f-bod.

i say get a clean c5 with the z51 suspension package, and fall in love with how it handles and the ls1 powerplant
Old 10-14-2008 | 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fast
stop it i think that pic is ******* hilarious(it was meant to be laughed at right??) lol
back to the post i bet if you go to a sti site they will say the opposite as us because well they're gay lol. go with a lsx anything over the sti. what do you want out of the car? are you going to race or just cruise? either way the lsx wins. pretty much the only reason i could see going with an sti is if your a hardcore philly style street racer, because around me most street races aren't much longer than the 60' so if you have the best 60'er youve got the fastest car out here, thats why evos and stis run philly streets but when you go to the track its a totally different story. if its a weekend cruiser that will race now and than you'll be WAY more than happy with an ls f-bod.
Old 10-14-2008 | 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

I agree GHEY
Old 10-14-2008 | 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kevin99hoss
you may want to compare the insurance price on both cars i bet the f-body will be much less, with that said i like both cars in question i would go with the f-body it should/will be quicker in the 1/4 mile stock but the STI with a proper launch will eat the f-body in the 60 foot, however wrx's are really fun on the street with a good launch + AWD donuts are fun

Aint nothin a pair of drag radials and driver mod cant fix
Old 10-14-2008 | 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is a definite, I thought I was the only one noticing how retarded that looks. EPIC fail!

But as for my input, for the shear speed, you need to go LS1. Back when my car made 432/431, I raced a supposed 500 awhp Scooby (GT35r) and absolutely handed him his ***, not even close.
Old 10-14-2008 | 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by EW1
Wonder if anyone has done an LS1 Swap into a Scooby.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=wrx
Old 10-14-2008 | 10:47 AM
Launching!

Go for an F-Body. Buy mine, the suspension is already sorted and it's ready to rock and roll if you want to spend $$ on motor work.
Old 10-14-2008 | 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Good taste in cars!!!
I think you cannot go wrong with either choice. I love the f bodies and love the STi's as well.
As far as performance is concerned, I think the straight line acceleration of an f-body will do you better. Some people posting here are not reading your full post where this is a fun car and for the quarter mile/straight line racing.
Both have a good amount of horsepower stock and have great modification upgrades.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 10-14-2008 | 11:48 AM
Launching!

Hey guys, my sig pic isn't THAT gay... at least the car looks good haha.

Seems like some guys got butt hurt because of what I said originally? Maybe I should have worded it differently... but face it, the Fbody is a true muscle car that is meant to be a beast on the straights, but is lacking in build quality and handling COMPARED to the STi, since it is an older car. The STi is slower, but is the better built car overall (looks being subjective of course...), and has more emphasis on handling, however, it does come with a premium. I understand everyone here loves fbodies and LS1s... and no ****, so do I, maybe that's why I got one. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be narrow-minded to trash another performance car that deserves respect. The STi and Fbody are two ENTIRELY purpose built machines, and both do damn well at what they do, each fun to drive in different ways. The STis do NOT have glass transmission, you guys are confusing them with the crappy 5 speed WRX trannies, the 6speed STi trannies are actually pretty stout. The Evo would also be a decent contender on this list if it weren't for the horrid reliability and warranty issues they are plagued with. Can't say I heard of such things about Subaru, which leads me to believe they are at least somewhat reliable.

Anyway... to the OP:

Seems like you already have an idea of what you want, maybe you just needed a little reassurance on where to channel your money. Personally I'd get TWO fbodies with $20-25k.. one LS1 and LT1, or two LS1s if possible, or a nice used C5. These cars are getting older and it'll be harder to find them in good condition later on, so might as well get an LS1 now.

Quick Reply: LS1 F body or a WRX Sti???