General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 F body or a WRX Sti???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008 | 02:15 PM

After reading all of your guys' post, I am leaning more towards the F-body. The car is going to be cheaper for me to maintain, and I can do basic engine maintenance on them at home so that's a plus.

If I had a full time job, I probably would have jumped on the Subaru, but I only have a part time gig for now.

I am going to go and test drive a WS6 this weekend to see how it feels, but I'd like to get either that or an SS Camaro.

Either way I am looking forward to owning one.

I'd consider a C5 coupe, but I am looking for something with at least 4 seats and somewhat practical too.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-14-2008 | 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you get one stick around, there is PLENTY of useful info here. Good luck!
Old 10-14-2008 | 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mogg
I am leaning more towards the F-body.
Good choice
Old 10-14-2008 | 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

If the STI came in a 400hp Varient i would be all over it.
Old 10-14-2008 | 02:58 PM
Launching!

Default f-body

I had a 06 legacy GT 2.5t m5 and i loved it. But it got worse gas mileage than my Trans Am modded out! You get a newer car with an sti but at what cost.... TA is cheaper for parts, cheaper for insurance, cheaper to maintain. You know what brake pads cost for those things? almost a 150 axle set. Suspension components are also pricey. STI might be a better all season car, but the ta will put a smile on your face like no other. Besides, i smoke Stis all day and i only have 10.5 in my car, including purchase price. see sig for specs. Youd be amazed with the deals you can find out there. Check out the Eb*y for a really low mileage Fbody, and then drop $5000 into it on an exhaust intake, suspension, rims and do it up your way. Little more unique also...
Old 10-14-2008 | 03:03 PM
Launching!

After reading all of your guys' post, I am leaning more towards the F-body. The car is going to be cheaper for me to maintain, and I can do basic engine maintenance on them at home so that's a plus.

If I had a full time job, I probably would have jumped on the Subaru, but I only have a part time gig for now.

I am going to go and test drive a WS6 this weekend to see how it feels, but I'd like to get either that or an SS Camaro.

Either way I am looking forward to owning one.

I'd consider a C5 coupe, but I am looking for something with at least 4 seats and somewhat practical too.

Thanks for the input guys.
Sweet. Don't rule out Z28s or regular TAs either if you want to save a little bit... unless you absolutely HAVE to get a ws6 or SS for some reason.
Old 10-14-2008 | 03:08 PM
Teching In

f-body, stis are gay, get something american
Old 10-14-2008 | 03:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bongva
dude go f-body... my friend and my sister both have sti's and they have really bad tranny problems! my sister broke her trans 3 times, she doesnt race and she has been driving a manual car for 4 years before the STi. i have raced my friends bolt-on sti and beat him stock! sti's do look nice and handle very well. but im glad i bought my f-body instead of an evo i was going to get! good luck with your search man!
The above post is Very Very True. Ask any STI guy. My Buddy Dan Just had to dish out $6,000 for a new tranny on his 05 and was told to pound salt as far as the warranty goes!!! He never took the car to the track and maybe launched it two times since he bought it in 05!!!!
Old 10-14-2008 | 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by v8venom
f-body, stis are gay, get something american

It's people like you that deter me from getting an American car at all, because I prefer not to associate myself with tools like you.

But, I know you are in the minority either way.

And again, I think a lot of you are confusing the WRX with the WRX Sti, two completely different cars. I am not saying that the Sti's are not prone to breaking, but its far more unlikely for that to happen than on a WRX.

I am not ruling out the regular Z28s or T/A's either, but I prefer the SS for looks and suspension, and it doesn't cost that much more than a used Z.
Old 10-14-2008 | 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

get an ls1...my roommates wrx has 50k miles on it..he's been through 2 trannys and 3 clutches, and he doesnt drive it hard at all. it also burns oil. it is all stock by the way..has a boost controller but he actually set it lower than factory to get better mpg since he never races or anything like that. my 00 TA has 135k on it and has no probs at all. burns no oil, but leaks a little from the rear main seal. i also get better gas mileage than him. he gets about 27 highway, while i get around 30.
Old 10-14-2008 | 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's people like you that deter me from getting an American car at all, because I prefer not to associate myself with tools like you.
Don't let rednecks like this bother you, there are idiots in every car group, just have to learn to ignore them...

And again, I think a lot of you are confusing the WRX with the WRX Sti, two completely different cars. I am not saying that the Sti's are not prone to breaking, but its far more unlikely for that to happen than on a WRX.

I am not ruling out the regular Z28s or T/A's either, but I prefer the SS for looks and suspension, and it doesn't cost that much more than a used Z.
STi's are badass, I would definitely like to own one, but I just can't get away from the V8 torque and sound. I just prefer the '04 models, because I'm not a fan of the pig nose ones...
Back on topic, unless the SS was optioned with the 'better' SLP suspension, it should only have the advantage of a larger (32mm vs 30mm) front sway bar and 17x9in wheels (vs 16x8).
Either way if you are at all interesting in handling the very first thing to look into would be better shocks for these cars. The stock decarbons are just plain horrible, and the car may feel floaty and disconnected, along with a choppy ride. Easy fix though, something like Koni SA's will have your jaw dropping with the difference. After installing mine I would never own another fbody without them.
Old 10-14-2008 | 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Don't let rednecks like this bother you, there are idiots in every car group, just have to learn to ignore them...

STi's are badass, I would definitely like to own one, but I just can't get away from the V8 torque and sound. I just prefer the '04 models, because I'm not a fan of the pig nose ones...
Back on topic, unless the SS was optioned with the 'better' SLP suspension, it should only have the advantage of a larger (32mm vs 30mm) front sway bar and 17x9in wheels (vs 16x8).
Either way if you are at all interesting in handling the very first thing to look into would be better shocks for these cars. The stock decarbons are just plain horrible, and the car may feel floaty and disconnected, along with a choppy ride. Easy fix though, something like Koni SA's will have your jaw dropping with the difference. After installing mine I would never own another fbody without them.
We'll see how it all pans out. I know that I'll probably lower the car as my first suspension mod, I am not looking to make it handle like crazy, but just enough so I can corner well or have control of the car under extreme situations.

What do you guys think would be the best model year for an LS1 fbody? I am looking in between the 2000-2002 range right now, but have found some 99s at a great price as well.
Old 10-14-2008 | 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

We'll see how it all pans out. I know that I'll probably lower the car as my first suspension mod, I am not looking to make it handle like crazy, but just enough so I can corner well or have control of the car under extreme situations.
Lowering on stock shocks is probably the worst thing you can do. Ironically enough what you describe you want "enough so I can corner well or have control of the car under extreme situations" is exactly what a good set of shocks like Koni are going to give you over the stockers, and no other suspension part will provide over good shocks.
The rear stockers have too much compression, making the car want to snap over steer, and hard to control over bumps, or any road imperfections. And both the front and rear don't have enough rebound, giving the floaty, bouncy, disconnected feel.
Adding lowering springs to shocks that already struggle to damper the stock springs is gong to lead to a harsh, even choppier ride, and a car that likes to break loose at or near the limit.
Koni's, on otherwise stock suspension will give lots of steering and chassis feedback, a BMW like ride (firm, but not ever jarring), and very very neutral handling, no more snap oversteer or pig understeer. You wont believe you are driving the same car...

What do you guys think would be the best model year for an LS1 fbody? I am looking in between the 2000-2002 range right now, but have found some 99s at a great price as well.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....80&postcount=2
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/213148-jrp-s-faq-commonly-asked-questions.html
Old 10-14-2008 | 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good weather toy is what a fbody is all about. cheaper to buy, mod, and insure compared to the STi and they arent half bad looking. you can make a fbody handle and stop pretty damn well if you want as well for not much money. id look for what ever year i could find with the slight advantage to the 01-02 due to the ls6 intake if your not gonna play with it otherwise id go by condition of the car.
Old 10-14-2008 | 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what I've heard you probably want to stay away from the 98s at least. Different VCM than all the rest makes it harder to tune.
Old 10-14-2008 | 05:50 PM
On The Tree

****, good luck with insurance, plus modding the STI!
Have fun breaking it in half to do upgrades!
my votes for an LS1.
Old 10-14-2008 | 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
From what I've heard you probably want to stay away from the 98s at least. Different VCM than all the rest makes it harder to tune.
someone should clarify that, people on here have told me they're different and people have told me they're the same.
WHICH IS IT?
Old 10-14-2008 | 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

search and see theres a million and one different threads about the differences i looked into that when i was helping a friend look into buying an f-body. its not many things and not as serious to some as it is to others.
Old 10-14-2008 | 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

If your after handling your first mod for sure should be Strano springs and sways, Koni SA's and a PHB. Then you can sling some people out the window if your tires are up to it
Old 10-14-2008 | 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definitely go with the f-body. They can be made to handle very well too. Check out the suspension section and look at Strano Performance. His sway bar, shock, and spring setup is considered to be the best when it comes to handling the corners.

Other things like built transmission and rear end are relatively cheap compared to foreign parts.

Add head, cam, even nitrous or forced induction and it will be a beast.

Quick Reply: LS1 F body or a WRX Sti???