General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Pics of my totaled z28

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 01:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

insurance company gave my mother a call the other day, and i dont remember the exact amount but she said we'll be getting close to $16k. Which surprised me, didnt think i would get that much. $8k will go to pay the car off and the rest will go towards a new f-body.

the insurance guy told me, if i was to remove the pieces i added. the price would drop some, so i guess in a way. he was taking into account the parts i added, which surprised me. i thought you really didnt get **** for that??
Old 10-23-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, that sucks. Sorry to hear, man.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If they pay you 16K, take the check and run and don't think about the parts you have there.

Before you tell them yes, though, I'd ask them what the buyback is. I'd guess it is somewhere around 2K, or so. Deduct that from the settlement and you'll still have 14K to pay off the car and rest to put towards a new one.

Then swap the parts you want and either part it out or put it on Ebay as such and you'll get much more than what the buyback is.

I did this with a 95 TA about 1.5 years ago. It cost me about 1K to buy back and I removed all the stuff I wanted and then sold it on Ebay for 3K. Could've probably gotten more if I'd have parted it out completely, but that would've been too much work.

Just some food for thought.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya 16k run with that ****....

what insurance did you have?? did they previously know of mods and what was the mileage??
Old 10-23-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gun5
ya 16k run with that ****....

what insurance did you have?? did they previously know of mods and what was the mileage??
i dont remember the name of the insurance, ill look that back up. i really never payed much attention to that, really just let my mother do it. since she co-signed for me when we got the car. im not sure if they knew of the mods i had done to it or not, i know my mother asked them if we could swap out the parts and he said it would lower the value and she mentioned the SS spoiler i had bought to him. he told her to fax him the reciept for it. so i guess he took it all into account. mileage was closing in on 72k, it was a couple hundred miles under.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Badguy7
insurance company gave my mother a call the other day, and i dont remember the exact amount but she said we'll be getting close to $16k. Which surprised me, didnt think i would get that much. $8k will go to pay the car off and the rest will go towards a new f-body.

the insurance guy told me, if i was to remove the pieces i added. the price would drop some, so i guess in a way. he was taking into account the parts i added, which surprised me. i thought you really didnt get **** for that??
That's a good settlement! I didn't get squat for my mods, they claimed it drops the value of the car. I put that sucker in my garage and replaced all the mods with the OEM parts. They gave me two weeks to do it too.
You might try getting the LM2 & TB off for the new one your getting...
Old 10-24-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DRGnFLYZ28
I didn't get squat for my mods, they claimed it drops the value of the car.
I guess it depends on the insurance company.

When my 95 TA I mentioned above got totalled, the adjuster even commented how nice the car looked and how well kept it was. He also said he had counted some extra for the stereo and Eagle 077 wheels.

I bought the car back, cashed the rest of the check and sold the car on Ebay as is and I got just about twice the amount I paid for it less than 4 months earlier.

Quick Reply: Pics of my totaled z28