General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Do you, or would you use a "Trickel Charger" on your car during winter storage?
Yes
59.46%
No, just leave it in the car and jump it in the spring
8.11%
No, Take out your battery and put it inside your house instead
32.43%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Battery Trickel Charger, Do you use one for winter storage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

havnt had the 00 long enough to do that but yeah my irocs on one pretty much year round
Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upon further review, I find the bit about not setting your battery on concrete dates from the olden days when battery cases were made of hard rubber.

The two main reasons then were that the cold concrete during the winter would sometimes allow the electrolyte to freeze. This was even more likely to happen as the battery discharged and the electrolyte freeze temp went up.

The other reason was that some electrolyte would migrate out through the hard rubber case and create a voltage differential.

While the cold thing is still an issue, the modern plastic cases prevent the leakage thing. Modern batteries are still subject to voltage dissipation through dust/dirt on batteries creating a voltage path between the poles.

Reader's Digest version: It's best to keep your battery clean, off the floor, and on a trickle charger when it is out of the vehicle.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I leave it in the car and occasionally trickle charge it overnight. Its one of those computer controlled chargers so it shuts off if its full.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DON'T remove the battery from the car during storage! This can rot your wiring harness. Those teeny tiny parasitic drains you guys are referring to is what keeps your harness from rotting. Voltage is always flowing through the harness, and it may be just a little bit, but its there. Removing that voltage can cause corrosion to start building over a period of time. I wouldn't recommend jumping a completely drained battery. ALWAYS do a deep cycle charge if you can.

Jumping a dead battery is a bad idea since the alternator shouldn't have to charge the battery in the first place. The only time the alternator is supposed to charge the battery is the little bit of voltage lost from the starter draw. The alternators main job is to provide current to the cars electrical system while its running, not charging the battery.

Last edited by FiredUpZ28; 10-25-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

There shoudl be a "No, go out and start the car once a week" option. That is really the best thing for the car, gets all the fluids circulating and keeps the seals fresh. No need to go for a drive necessarily, just start her up and let it idle up to normal operating temp.

-Tim
Old 10-26-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't store my car for winter but per say it sits in the garage most of the time So I use one of those battery tenders made by DELTRAN, either my ecu or my alarm drains my Optima red top so on the Deltran goes, works great. YMMV
Old 10-26-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SS101
personally, i'm just to cheap to buy a tender so i take it out for storage. once this factory battery dies and i get an optima then i'll probably get a tender for it (those things ain't cheap lol).
Sorry to tell you, those go dead too, get a DELTRAN tender too.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just got my Deltran tender in the mail!!! woot!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

i take the battery out and put it on a charger...every winter for the past 5 years ive owned it...no problems
Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

With a tender or trickle charger do you leave them hooked up all of the time until you start the car? I have read a few things online, obviously not the most reliable info, about trickle chargers overcharging the battery? Is that possible? What is the best way to use a trickle charger?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Is this the one you guys use ? Deltran SuperSmart Battery Tender Plus 12-Volt 1.25 AMP Battery Charger . Amazon has them for 39.99
Old 01-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Teching In

i store the mustang away, fog the cylinders to prevent rust in them, a rust inhibiting oil spray for the bottom of the car, full tank of gas with sta-bil, battery sits in my room in a cardboard box off the ground with a trickle on it at all times, the interior gets a good cleaning and dryer sheets to discourage any small animals that may get into my garage and the windows are left shut, aswell as the interior vent, coolant gets cheack and topped off and before it comes out of storage the oil gets drained and swapped for fresh to make sure no condensation has built up in the oil (it will happen no matter what, this is why its not good to start the car after sitting for a while, especially if you dont oil the cylinders)
Old 01-04-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I use a battery tender jr when the car is going to be sitting for a while. I've had problems with a slow battery drain in the past but just a .75 amp battery tender works great and will also charge the battery back up from playing the radio all night as well. Been doing it for months. That's with an optima battery though.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:03 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Another vote for a battery tender. I charges slowly, and shuts off when fully charged, but still monitors battery voltage.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

So which one should I buy ? Will the junior be just has good.
http://www.amazon.com/Deltran-Batter...=pd_sim_auto_1
http://www.amazon.com/Deltran-SuperS...1080646&sr=8-1
Old 01-04-2009, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

I just pulled my Blazer Zr2 out of storage after 14 months of inactivity. I put an additive in both the oil and fuel (don't remember which type) and all I did was disconnect the battery cables - didn't pull the battery out. I had moth ***** and two boxes of baking soda in the interior and put it on jack stands with the weight on the suspension.

Before I started it up, I changed the oil which had separated into three different consistencies - first was thick and looked like fresh oil from the bottle, second was thinner and black - the oil part I am sure, third was the thick clumpy stuff left over.

While the final droppings fell out of the pan, I reconnected the battery and took it off the jack stands. I let that stuff drain for a while and finally put in a new filter and oil.

When I went to start it, it turn over just fine, but didn't start - I think I just had to prime the fuel line. Second crank it started right up, with smoke and a low idle. I let it run for some time, then shut it down for a few. The second start, idle was normal and it ran well.

Do you have such a high performance machine that it is absolutely crucial to keep your battery in top condition? Does it really matter that your battery has a 100% charge when you go to start your car after a couple months?

My recommendation is this: Before you go to start your car for the first time, take the battery to a store that can check your battery an ensure it is in good shape. Or just keep doing what you're doing since that has been working in the past.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01WS6A4
The .75A junior works fine for me. I think if you have a higher battery drain than that then you have bigger issues at hand.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its out of the car and on a trickle inside the shop. won't be driving for a while so ya.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:03 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I got the Junior version as well because it's specifically for maintenance. I have a 'quick charge' battery charger, which charges at a higher amperage. The junior will charge it over time, but it's a slower rate, which is actually a better way to avoid over heating the battery.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Exclamation

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Another vote for a battery tender. I charges slowly, and shuts off when fully charged, but still monitors battery voltage.
+1

My car sits outside for the winter, under a cover, of course. I use the indoor-outdoor battery tender. It is awesome, i love it. like previously said, it monitors the voltage of the battery and is only "on" when it is needed. I also use sta-bil in my tank and ****.

as a side note; if you have a sound system hooked up with a cap, PULL THE FUSE OUT or DISCONNECT the cap! The cap will draw more amps then the charger can put out and the charger won't go "dormant"; ask me how i know...

Quick Reply: Battery Trickel Charger, Do you use one for winter storage?