General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Do you, or would you use a "Trickel Charger" on your car during winter storage?
Yes
59.46%
No, just leave it in the car and jump it in the spring
8.11%
No, Take out your battery and put it inside your house instead
32.43%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Battery Trickel Charger, Do you use one for winter storage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Trickel Charger, Do you use one for winter storage?

Just seeing if you guys use a Battery Trickel charger on your car when winter storage arrives vs. taking the battery out of the car. Please let me know via the poll. I've never taken the battery out of the car, but just always charged it up before spring time but am thinking about buying a trickel charger this year. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i start my car every 2 weeks and let it run for 20-25 minutes.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Launching!

This makes me wonder. If you removed your battery for the winter, would there be a chance the ECM would lose any of its programming due to the lack of battery power for an extended time?
Old 10-20-2008, 07:57 PM
NKAWTG...N

I voted, "No, Take out your battery and put it inside your house instead," but actually I just disconnect it and leave it in the car.

I reconnect it in the summer and still works. It has to relearn the idle but that is it!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
I heard this is not good as your engine doesnt truely get up to operating temperture but if it works for you, great!!! Personally, I've just left the car in the garage untouched and not started until its time to bring it out.

Originally Posted by johnnybravo
This makes me wonder. If you removed your battery for the winter, would there be a chance the ECM would lose any of its programming due to the lack of battery power for an extended time?
Nope, I wouldnt think so. I've never started my car everytime I store it (about 6 months a year) and have never had a problem with the computer loosing my tune or anything.

Originally Posted by StoleIt
I voted, "No, Take out your battery and put it inside your house instead," but actually I just disconnect it and leave it in the car.
I reconnect it in the summer and still works. It has to relearn the idle but that is it!
Yes-thats what I have been doing for the last few years, just disconnecting the battery and leaving it in the car under the cover but last year the battery was dead when I went to turn it over so I was just leaning towards a trickel charger to see how that works. I've also learned that it takes my car about 3 starts (with time/driving between after storage) for it to relearn idle. After all, it sits for 6 months with no battery connection so the first time I pull it out, it idles at like 650rpm till it warms up. I let it run for about a half hour and take it for a quick drive around the block then turn it off. About 10 mins later I start it up again and take it for a longer drive, but like you said, it cant hold idle. Anywhere from 500 to 900rpm depending how warm the engine is, and if you hit the gas it dies down to almost 200rpm then pops back up. Then the 3rd time I start it up, its works like a charm from there out. You probably know exactly what Im talking about though, its just relearning
Old 10-20-2008, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Yes......I might have around 6 of them. For the cars that sit...For the garden tractors...Generator...ect. Can't beat em...Never a dead battery.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 207 Likes on 160 Posts

I just dis-connect it and take it out of the Car when it's in storage. I put the Battery next to it on a piece of wood.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

No real long term winter storage to speak of here in Az but if I know a car will be sitting for a while I just put on my CTEK 3300 charger. It has been the best charger I've ever owned. Just go to www.ctek.com and read up on their chargers. you can usually pick one up from Ebay for $60 shipped to your door. I've used it on batteries that were stone dead and brought them back up to a full charge without any problems.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one charger, and a connector for each vehicle that sleeps during the winter. Currently 3. It came with 1; I made the others out of a 4 way trailer connector I got at Ace Hardware, splitting it up for the other 2.
I rotate the charger around to each, and they all stay charged. The PCM should not lose its settings since they are stored to flash memory. What you should not do is to leave the charger on just one vehicle; it will boil out the battery fluid.
Also, get the type that shuts off when the charge level is complete; some do not.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:21 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by EvilBLK02TA
Yes-thats what I have been doing for the last few years, just disconnecting the battery and leaving it in the car under the cover but last year the battery was dead when I went to turn it over so I was just leaning towards a trickel charger to see how that works. I've also learned that it takes my car about 3 starts (with time/driving between after storage) for it to relearn idle. After all, it sits for 6 months with no battery connection so the first time I pull it out, it idles at like 650rpm till it warms up. I let it run for about a half hour and take it for a quick drive around the block then turn it off. About 10 mins later I start it up again and take it for a longer drive, but like you said, it cant hold idle. Anywhere from 500 to 900rpm depending how warm the engine is, and if you hit the gas it dies down to almost 200rpm then pops back up. Then the 3rd time I start it up, its works like a charm from there out. You probably know exactly what Im talking about though, its just relearning

Exactly. Sounds like I have the biggest cam known to man in the car the first time I drive it. Also the turbo seals leak through from in use so it is kinda smokey the first couple of miles.

I get stares.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
I do it once a week if I can but the winters in texas arent that bad
Old 10-20-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I voted yes because the pole question had or would you use. I would if I had a good one and if it was close to an outlet.
But I don't have one and it hasn't always been close to an outlet.
So I just disconnect it and reconnect it in the spring.

I still have the original battery by the way.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:21 AM
TECH Resident

Get a Battery Tender. Best money I ever spent I always have 2 cars attached to it year-round.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

personally, i'm just to cheap to buy a tender so i take it out for storage. once this factory battery dies and i get an optima then i'll probably get a tender for it (those things ain't cheap lol).
Old 10-21-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SS101
personally, i'm just to cheap to buy a tender so i take it out for storage. once this factory battery dies and i get an optima then i'll probably get a tender for it (those things ain't cheap lol).
Christmas is coming, that's how I got mine
Old 10-21-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I support taking the battery out and putting it in the garage PLUS putting it on a battery tender.

When you start your car for a short time every now and then you are leaving acidic water in your engine and exhaust system. The combustion by-products are acidic. If you don't get your car hot enough for long enough to drive out the condensation you produce while it is warming up, it sits in those places and does its evil work. For that reason, I prefer to let it sit until spring and I can drive it normally.

Just an FYI, don't set your battery on a concrete floor. I can't remember the process but it leaches out the charge much more quickly than if you set it on a piece of wood. Also, ensure you keep your battery clean, since dust and dirt can allow the charge to disappate faster as well.

Every battery will discharge as it sits unused. If the charge gets too low, lead sulphates will form on the battery plates. This prevents effective recharging come spring and lessens your battery life.

I had the original battery in the car for seven years. That's pretty good for any battery, I think.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, I use a charger on my WS6 and my Honda jet ski......your battery will last much longer if you charge it over the winter.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking about getting the Deltran Battery Tender Jr. http://batterytender.com/product_inf...cb1efb983aabee Im leaning more towards the 12volt @ 0.75 amps. Any thoughts on this also?
Old 10-21-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fully automatic and goes to float. That's the bomb.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnybravo
Your ECM will not lose it's programming.

It takes less then 2 minutes to remove the batttery and bring it inside. You won't be needing it anyway since starting your car periodically is harming your engine - for the sake of charging your battery?!?

Do not store the battery on cement. Leave the battery on a piece of wood and charge it twice throughout the winter.

Quick Reply: Battery Trickel Charger, Do you use one for winter storage?