General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Sell/mod/shutup? - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008 | 09:50 AM
Teching In

Default Sell/mod/shutup? - advice?

I buy and sell cars way too often. I had a 99 TA (transmission was crap) for 6mo, then a 05 GTO (M6 but I got tired of the payments) for 8mo. About 6 months ago I bought another 99 TA (~100k miles, A4) for about $6500.

Shouldn't have bought it, I was in a "buyer's daze" (desperate for a TA again ) and the day after I bought it the daze cleared and I found a lot of stuff I didn't like. I discovered later that it had been wrecked on the right side pretty bad, the headlight wobbles, the quarter panels are off-color, it's missing the plastic inside the rear wheel well so I hear it picking up gravel all the time. The rear suspension is incredibly rough and I'm sure it will need fixed soon. I think the voltage regulator is failing as well. Some interior stuff pieces and some speakers are missing. And also, I've started to miss driving a stick. I was going to put a stall in it, but odds are I'll never actually race it and I just enjoy driving around town with it - so I think I'd enjoy a stick more.

It doesn't have many mods (BorlaMouth), it's a tight fit and rattles and hits the floor pan. I was considering headers and duals, but I'm not sure it makes sense to sink money into it with the other problems it has. At some point I'd probably have it repainted, which will probably be $1500-2000 right there.

So - should I shut up and deal with it, shut up and start modding it anyway, or sell it and try to find what I want? Is it too late in the year to sell it for anything decent or should I wait until spring? I do have something else to drive in the meantime, if I do sell it. Also I do realize that with 100k on the clock and the other problems I probably won't get crap for it. Thoughts? I'm terrible at this whole car thing...
Old 10-21-2008 | 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would get rid of it and look around for another one. I think for the same $$ you can get another one with a lot less problems. Good luck whatever you decide
Old 10-21-2008 | 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd get rid of it, sounds like the car is pretty rough.
Old 10-21-2008 | 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

sell sell sell
Old 10-21-2008 | 10:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I would get rid of it and look around for another one. I think for the same $$ you can get another one with a lot less problems. Good luck whatever you decide
Thanks. I guess re-reading my post it's pretty obvious what I should do. I'm just trying to overcome how absurd it is to own 5 cars in 2 years

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
I'd get rid of it, sounds like the car is pretty rough.
Yea, I had been on the hunt for a TA for a while, and wasn't finding anything worthwhile. Found this particular gem at a dealer and somehow thought I was getting a good deal on it. New rule, dealership = no.

Originally Posted by WSsick
sell sell sell
Want to buy a 99 TA?
Old 10-21-2008 | 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll give ya $500 for it
Old 10-21-2008 | 10:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Platinum WS6
I'll give ya $500 for it
Hahaha, a guy at work just offered me $500 as well. I think we've established the market value of the car.

Probably going to list it locally and see if I get any hits on it.
Old 10-21-2008 | 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get some cement blocks and start a junkyard.
Old 10-21-2008 | 03:56 PM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

Yea, I've gone with many friends to look at cars that they want to check out at local Dealershits, and 99% of them I could break down and find the problems right on the spot. Then we end up getting the cold shoulder from the Salesman cause he already knows what our answer is going to be.

Sounds like the Car is rough man..