General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

All you M6 people

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i learned how to drive stick in junk. i think the ls1/m6 combo is fine to learn to drive stick on. just be smart and practice. no flooring it and dumping the clutch.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sammyboy
Easiest way to learn is to press the far right pedal as far as possible and then let the far left pedal out as fast as possible.......
lol thats fucked up. haha. but funny.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

My 15 yo niece learned to drive my T/A in about 2 hrs, the engine makes sufficient torque that you don't really have to give it any gas if you let the clutch out slowly, that'll also help you to tell when the clutch engages
As for winter, SNOW TIRES, and some common sense will be enough to get you thru all but the worst storms, drove my T/A for the first 2 winters I had it, but getting a beater is a much better idea, keep the f body in the garage and feed the FWD POS to the salt, snow, and idiot drivers
Old 10-22-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

My best friend let his GF drive his 6 speed GTO for the 1st time the other day and I was with them. Honestly I think you have to try to stall the car. It might be a little rough at 1st but you will be fine with practice.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah man its really easy, i drove my friends 6spd for the first time, and it was easier then a lot of other manuals i have drove...give yourself a lil practice and a couple weeks with the car and you will be a pro....also fbodys suck in snow!!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sammyboy
Easiest way to learn is to press the far right pedal as far as possible and then let the far left pedal out as fast as possible.......
HAHA we aren't trying to let him have too much fun, or die... your results may vary
Old 10-22-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha^^ to be more serious... of all the manual cars I have driven I think that the stock ls1 w/t56 is probably the easiest. It is very very hard to stall, not the same with little 4cylinders without the torque. In the ls1 car you hardly need gas when you ease the clutch out. Good luck with the snow...
Old 10-22-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

That can be a good and bad thing, I think learning on a 4 banger you learn a little bit more finesse with the clutch.

Learning on a LS1 T56 is going to be cakewalk for you.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Yea, it has a lot of torque to keep it from stalling out the mach1 is about the same. Both very easy to drive.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

If its a weekend car it will take you a while, if you drive it every day you will get the hang of it real quick...go for it.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I feel like we are giving away a secret... oh, yea our cars are **** easy to drive!! go for it!!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took a bunch for a test drive when I was looking for mine, probably the easiest types of car to learn stick on. Plenty of torque, forgiving clutch make it a dream to drive.

As for winter driving, its all in the tires. I'd dare you to drive some random AWD car with pure performance summer tires in the snow. You wouldn't think to do that not because you have the benefit of AWD but because of the tires, yet that's what some people do with our cars and expect them to work. I don't think anyone here drives a LSx powered car with anything less than a tire designed for speed, hence the summer performance tire. Those are rock hard in cold weather and will do little for traction in winter weather.

Get a winter beater or throw on some snow tires onto a spare set of rims.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I learned on my LT1. First time i drove it i fishtailed across 4 lanes of traffic. Was so COOL
Old 10-23-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hardcorepber
SO i know this is going to sound stupid but i have never drove a stick car and i looking at buying a Ls1(have a V6 now) and its stick. How long does it take to learn to drive is it difficult? I live in Ohio will i have a serious problem driving in snow over a automatic?

Thanks

Chris
You'll definitely have issues driving it in the snow, ESPECIALLY if don't know how to drive a stick. Mine cost me one clutch to learn how to drive it (never owned a stick before this one), but it was totally worth it. I wouldn't even consider trading for an automatic.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I learned on a honda CRX with the cable clutch, i love driving my m6, actually i love it so much i had surgery on my left knee( they cut the top of the shin bone and shortened the tendon, so now two screws hold it together) and i still decided on the M6 over the A4
Old 10-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Just go to a big parking with a lot with inclines. If there are speed bumps, pull the front two tires up onto the bump and try and pull out. It really teaches you how to use the clutch and not to roll backward on hills(the hardest thing about stick). When you feel comfortable, take it out on the street, but not in rush hour traffic. You are going to stall a few times and some people behind you may be pissed, but after a week or so you will be okay at it. However, mastering it takes a long time. These guys saying it takes a few hours until you're good are full of it . I was in the same boat you are in and as long as you take the time and are careful it will be easy(compared to my mom's 5 speed honda, an LS1/m6 is a cakewalk). As for the snow, I think a good tire and experience make it doable, but these cars such in the snow period.

P.S. Don't go and try and race around the first day you have it, that can lead to missed shifts and bent pushrods. Ask me how I know
Old 10-23-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea it won't take a few hours to get good at it, but I haven't known anyone who after about an hour or so who wasn't comfortable to go out on the street with little to no traffic. Best pace to go is the pace that YOU feel comfortable, you don't feel ready for the street, don't go out.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't drive an F-body in the Ohio winter here at all, m6 or a4. But like others said, its not hard to get down. My first stick shift car was a 13 second fox body mustang, and I had it down in about a day.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

I wouldn't drive it in the Snow..

As far as driving a Stick, learn on someone elses..then once you got the hang of it and you fucked theirs up..feel yours and what the suttle difference will be in the petal, and you will be good.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

My first manual was a LS1. Its actually easier than learning in some torqless wonder 4 cyl. Although I will say, get someone who is good at teaching to help you. I burned up my clutch pretty bad in no time at all as I was figuring it out for myself. A clutch is a pricey item + the ridiculous labor amount.

As far as the snow goes, don't listen to all the macho men who say not to worry about it. You will ruin the car and wish you never came to this board. I drove a Z28 in less than an inch of snow once by accident ( freak snow storm ), and it slid all over and I had to start in 2nd gear every time there was a light. It almost didn't make it up the hill before my house, **** was GAY!!